Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car bought privately, still no VRC

• 30-10-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi

I bought a car last week of an individual (not a garage) and still haven’t received the log book (VRC). The seller says they posted the VRC to Shannon last Monday but when I called them today, they said they haven’t received anything. Can it usually take this long for Shannon to receive the VRC? I have the sellers home address so I doubt they tried to scr3w me. What are my options if Shannon doesn’t receive the VRC but the seller says they have posted it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you sign the VRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wait a week to see if it turns up, next option would be to get them request a replacement VRC and then refill it out with the same date of sale and send that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did you sign the VRC?

Yes i did, i filled out the back and signed and left with seller to send.

Wait a week to see if it turns up, next option would be to get them request a replacement VRC and then refill it out with the same date of sale and send that in.

Is there any way i could end up with a car but no VRC?

Alerium wrote: »

Of course.

There is a process for getting a replacement though, did you verify that the paperwork matched the car, that the sellers name was on the VRC etc etc?

• Advertisement
    M

Only if seller was doesn't co-operate, at the end of the day they want it out of their name as quick as possible, otherwise all fines, speeding tickets etc will be their problem.

Of course.

There is a process for getting a replacement though, did you verify that the paperwork matched the car, that the sellers name was on the VRC etc etc?

Yes i did. I have the sellers address so I doubt they’re trying to sell me a dodgy car. Although they did say they posted the VRC last Monday and I hardly doubt it takes this long to arrive.

Only if seller was doesn't co-operate, at the end of the day they want it out of their name as quick as possible, otherwise all fines, speeding tickets etc will be their problem.

I think the seller buys and sells cars. The car I bought is from England but was VRT’d in June. So i’m worried there may be something dodgy going on although i have their address etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Keep an eye on the motortax.ie website here to see if they have received anything in Shannon:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeOwnership.do

One good tip that I use when buying a car is to fill out the VRC new owner details and post the VRC there an then with the seller when buying the car. Sometimes the seller wants to take a photo of the VRC and I usually do also before popping it in the post box.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the motortax.ie website here to see if they have received anything in Shannon:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeOwnership.do

One good tip that I use when buying a car is to fill out the VRC new owner details and post the VRC there an then with the seller when buying the car. Sometimes the seller wants to take a photo of the VRC and I usually do also before popping it in the post box.

I said to the seller that i’d post it but they insisted they post it, although I think that is standard practice.

I’ve been checking that webpage daily. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was the seller's name on the logbook you signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was the car taxed?

I ask as if it were vrt paid it would need to be taxed to get the VLC...

As suggested keep eye on motor tax.ie for change of ownership if applicable as what I say above.

bazz26 wrote: »

Yes it was, I also have the VRT receipt with the sellers name and address.

Was the car taxed?

As suggested keep eye on motor tax.ie for change of ownership if applicable as what I say above.

Car was taxed yes until end of Nov. The tax is very cheap 180e per year so I'd be taxing it if I was selling also.

What should I do if, for example, in 10 days Shannon still haven't recevied the VRC and the owner insists they posted it? Thanks

Was the car taxed?

What usually occurs first, I receive the VRC or i can see online that there has been a change in ownership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What should I do if, for example, in 10 days Shannon still haven't recevied the VRC and the owner insists they posted it? Thanks

Start going through the M50 toll and parking illegally in places without clamping.

M

Did you do a history check on it? Seems odd to be importing a car from UK and then selling it within 4 months.

Did you do a history check on it? Seems odd to be importing a car from UK and then selling it within 4 months.

No I didn't, I probably should have but I was urgently looking for a car and had very limited time to buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

What if not?

Just wondering

• Advertisement

Twister2 wrote: »
    What if not?

Just wondering

Makes getting a replacement much more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Worst case - you bought a clone. Best case the postman delivers the signed logbook tomorrow.

Did you do a history check? Does the chassis number match when checked. Without verifying this via history check, it is too easy to steal a car, put plates matching legit car and get a fake logbook with reg as shown and chassis number off the stolen car as presented. All will then check out if you just do you checks from the logbook numbers.
    The history check cross references the expected chassis number for that reg which will stop that scam easily.

mickdw wrote: »
    Worst case - you bought a clone. Best case the postman delivers the signed logbook tomorrow.

Did you do a history check? Does the chassis number match when checked. Without verifying this via history check, it is too easy to steal a car, put plates matching legit car and get a fake logbook with reg as shown and chassis number off the stolen car as presented. All will then check out if you just do you checks from the logbook numbers.
    The history check cross references the expected chassis number for that reg which will stop that scam easily.

Hi, I didnt do a history check unfortunately. I know i should have.

Hi, I didnt do a history check unfortunately. I know i should have.

Do one now, not expensive.

Do one now, not expensive.

And at least you can check that you have that actual car that matches the reg.
    Once it's not a clone, you will get the book sorted.

And at least you can check that you have that actual car that matches the reg.
    Once it's not a clone, you will get the book sorted.

What do you mean by a clone, like a stolen car with fake documents? Can you VRT a car without some sort of docs? Where is best to do a history check and how much is it usually?

Thanks for the help

What do you mean by a clone, like a stolen car with fake documents? Can you VRT a car without some sort of docs? Where is best to do a history check and how much is it usually?

Thanks for the help

Put a reg off another.

It's worst case it may not be and hopefully not of course.

Documents are easily copied, they even go to lengths of covering up the real vin in worst case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Shannon can be very slow at times. After 2 working weeks, I would start to question if the seller sent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With the amount of UK cars being imported at the moment due to pending Brexit it's very possible they have a backlog of processing registration documents.

• Advertisement

With the amount of UK cars being imported at the moment due to pending Brexit it's very possible they have a backlog of processing registration documents.

I’ve spoken to them this morning and they said they’re pretty much up to date. They are currently working off yesterday’s post.

I’ve spoken to them this morning and they said they’re pretty much up to date. They are currently working off yesterday’s post.

Can you contact the seller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Contact Shannon and explain what has happened and ask them for a form to make a Statutory Declaration in order to get a logbook in your name.

I done it recently and it's very straightforward.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Contact Shannon and explain what has happened and ask them for a form to make a Statutory Declaration in order to get a logbook in your name.

Its not a bad process as long as the car is correct.
    Stamped by main dealer and signed in front of peace commissioner or something like that I think.

Can you contact the seller?

I’ve contacted the seller who said if i dont receive it by next week they’ll request a new one.

ba_barabus wrote: »

I will do exactly that in a week or two. Seller said they’ll request a new VRC if i dont receive it by next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Stamped by main dealer and signed in front of peace commissioner or something like that I think.

That's pretty much it.

IF the car isn't correct the OP has bigger issues. So far there isn't anything that would overly concern me.

What do you mean by main dealer stamped? How do i check that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do a history check on cartell.ie or motorcheck.ie and make sure that the engine and VIN number match, it'll also show you if it has a insurance claim for damage etc.

If the history check shows that the car is legit and you don't get the VLC then a main dealer for the brand can verify the car and you can register it to get the VLC

That was in relation to getting it registered to you if the previous owner doesn't send the book to shannon.
    You fill a form. Get main dealer to inspect and stamp form to verify that car is what it says it is then get declaration witnessed by peace commissioner and send to shannon.

Transfer on my civic took 6 days despite it being posted in Shannon, where the department is.

• Advertisement

Transfer on my civic took 6 days despite it being posted in Shannon, where the department is.

It probably went to Dublin or portlaoise 1st.

I’ll give it until next week maybe Wed and then ask the seller to order a new VRC.

According to Motor Tax Online, a new VRC was issued last Friday. I think what has happened here is that the seller told me that they posted it two weeks ago when in fact they only posted it after I told them I still haven’t received the VRC and was in contact with the Department of Transport.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

Advertisement