Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    Of course, it is responsible

This swing was inside a licensed premises. If I were a business owner, I would be thinking - not good idea, what if someone falls off the swing after drinking.

There should have been a sign up, but why have a swing at all? It is a danger

I really do feel bad for Maria - she shouldn't have claimed, but she did so as private matter. We are not entitled to know such details.

a sign up to advise adults how to use a swing? :pac:

also she is an elected public representative, of course the public are entitled to know if she's making bogus insurance claims, especially when we are all beem hit with rising insurance cost due to bogus claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

gmisk wrote: »
    When she attempted fraud it was clearly a public matter, we are entitled to know the details

It is not fraud...she broke no laws

You are conflating the issue my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

But it is a private matter.

Why should private matters influence the execution of her duties as a TD?

Please explain how filing the claim conflicted with her duties, so as to render her less able to perform them

She knowingly filled out the form with false information.

Or - as leo put it "overstated her injuries"

Stop digging please.

jay1988 wrote: »
    a sign up to advise adults how to use a swing? :pac:

also she is an elected public representative, of course the public are entitled to know if she's making bogus insurance claims, especially when we are all beem hit with rising insurance cost due to bogus claims.

I have no problem with that...if people don't want to elect her for such matters, that is perfectly fine

The issue I raise is that she was publicly humiliated and demeaned, even though she did no wring in her professional capacity

I believe that an enormous injustice has been done...and I am sensitive to people's plights

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Seriously Maria, give it a rest, you're making a holy show of yourself here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It wasn't bogus, she did fall off the swing

It is irresponsible of a business to have swings where people are drinking. And frankly silly.

there is vicarious responsibility

okay?

Maria Bailey as an elected representative for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown tried to commit insurance fraud.

OK?

There is a thing called standards in public office. Elected representatives are expected at the very minimum to adhere to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

It is absolutely none of yours, mine, or anybody's business

She was a good politician - she should not be hung our to dry for a minor and PERSONAL indiscretion. In fact, it is none of our business because it was a PERSONAL AND PRIVATE matter
    Okay?

She ought to have thought that through then before she did that interview.

She dug her own hole to wallow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The issue I raise is that she was publicly humiliated and demeaned, even though she did no wring in her professional capacity

She brought that all on herself when she decided to play the victim and the misogyny card. She went on the radio and made things much worse for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She was in the process of a fraudulent claim.
    She admitted her medical costs were 7k (seems high to me) while also trying to get 20k off the business.
    She ran a fecking 10k 3 weeks later as well.
    I am not your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

jay1988 wrote: »
    Seriously Maria, give it a rest, you're making a holy show of yourself here :pac:

Poster got booted out of the Liveline thread earlier for trolling. Turns up here at the same thing now.

I wouldn't engage lads.

• Advertisement

She ought to have thought that through then before she did that interview.

She dug her own hole to wallow in.

Yes, she made error of judgment...should have said it was aprivate matter

would have died quickly

topdays news is tomorrow's fish and chip paper

would have died quickly

So we should be happy to for not much longer have her representing us if she makes such bad errors of judgment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It is absolutely none of yours, mine, or anybody's business

She was a good politician - she should not be hung our to dry for a minor and PERSONAL indiscretion. In fact, it is none of our business because it was a PERSONAL AND PRIVATE matter

Okay?

We need know the caliber of person we are asked to elect to office. Especially if their party policy makes them a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wouldn't it be funny if the video now found it's way into the public domain.

would have died quickly

This happened a long time ago....it clearly hasn't gone away so the fish and chip paper thing doesn't really hold up...a bit like her claim...

It became fraud when she submitted a sworn affidavit exaggerating the extent of her injuries.

Definition of fraud. 1a : deceit, trickery specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value

Is Maria on the wine or is this some kind of trickery to reignite the issue?

gmisk wrote: »
    This happened a long time ago....it clearly hasn't gone away so the fish and chip paper thing doesn't really hold up...

If she didn't do that interview, this would be forgotton

Why aren't we talking about Lowry, or James reilly, or some other people

why you guys pick on Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

You ghouls will have to find another woman in the public eye to harass now. Any candidates?

Cop yourself on - she brought all of this upon herself.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Cop yourself on - she brought all of this upon herself.[/QUOTE

It is true...why not pick on others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And if she hadn't tried operate a swing, (something a child can manage) holding booze while reaching for more booze...

By 'pick' you mean call her out on her actions?
    Varadkar and FG dragged this out. It's as much to do with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nearly 12000 posts about this matter.

Bailey deserved to lose her right to run for a party. She didn't deserve this misogynistic witch hunt that went on for so long on this absolute cesspool of a forum. This entire 'trial by social media' was formed out of nothing more that men (always men) with anger issues.

Folks don't like to hear such things, but that's the long and the short of it.

Businesses are going to the wall every single day as people submit false claims against them and their premiums increase.

A politician doing similar is essentially condoning this nonsense.

Today's story, no doubt one of many.

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/gaa-star-is-forced-to-close-fitness-club-after-insurance-premium-soars-to-20000-38884454.html

It's literally killing the lifeblood of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

would have died quickly

Several errors of judgement. You should listen back to the interview, she can't even keep her story straight over the 15 minutes or so she was on the air. It would have gone away long ago if Leo did the right thing and got rid of her after the interview, it was a cluster****, though it reflects worse on the leadership and there handling of the situation than on Maria.

The only reason this thread was still going was the matter hadnt come to it's conclusion due to the dither dather of the leadership of the party. I'm in the constituency, Josepha will be down the bottom of the list come voting, and she got my number 1 last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

sligojoek wrote: »
    Poster got booted out of the Liveline thread earlier for trolling. Turns up here at the same thing now.

I wouldn't engage lads.

Time to hit the ignore button then?

sligojoek wrote: »

I wouldn't engage lads.

Stop stalking me :eek:

I am not personally aware of them attempting fraud do you have a link?
    The interview was a car crash, if she had been contrite it might have gone away to a degree, I doubt anyone would vote for her though.
    Alan Farrell might be a better comparison his seriously dodgy claim has seemingly been forgotten

Nearly 12000 posts about this matter.

Bailey deserved to lose her right to run for a party. She didn't deserve this misogynistic witch hunt that went on for so long on this absolute cesspool of a forum. This entire 'trial by social media' was formed out of nothing more that men (always men) with anger issues.

Folks don't like to hear such things, but that's the long and the short of it.

What has been misogynistic? That’s twice you’ve done that men (always men) thing, repetition doesn’t make something real. She suffered all this because of her actions not because of her gender. I’m sure some people view it in a misogynistic manner but she was the only one that I really noticed in the whole thing that brought up her gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

dixiefly wrote: »
    Cop yourself on - she brought all of this upon herself.[/QUOTE

It is true...why not pick on others...

Hey, look over there.....

Maria claimed in the infamous interview that she only wanted her medical expenses paid for. In the same interview she admitted having health insurance. It subsequently transpired she had sent a letter to the hotel demanding 20 thousand euro.

She's a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If this was Danny Healy Rae caught doing the same thing then it wouldn't have got to 11000 posts.

If this was Aengus Ó Snodaigh then it wouldn't have to got to 11000 posts.

The reason it got to 11000 posts is because Maria Bailey is a woman. The making fun of what font she used in her releases; her appearance, what she was wearing the night she headed out; who she was with; the things she said during a live interview with SoR; the lack of empathy after her Dad died.

It's just a load of thick men (always men) who mistake a twitter feed and an addiction to the internet for somehow being at the cutting edge of political discourse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If this was Danny Healy Rae caught doing the same thing then it wouldn't have got to 11000 posts.

If this was Aengus Ó Snodaigh then it wouldn't have to got to 11000 posts.

The reason it got to 11000 posts is because Maria Bailey is a woman. The making fun of what font she used in her releases; her appearance, what she was wearing the night she headed out; who she was with; the things she said during a live interview with SoR; the lack of empathy after her Dad died.

It's just a load of thick men (always men) who mistake a twitter feed and an addiction to the internet for somehow being at the cutting edge of political discourse.

Just for the record, are you referring to me personally when you are calling posters here thick?

Advertisement