Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Footballers get it too, it is wrong. Some of the stuff posted about Maria Bailey is just beyond acceptable.

That latest post denigrating terminally ill people was just another low. Disgusting.

Enough of the faux outrage blanch, when will you comment on the OP,?

What do you think of Maria Bailey and Josepha's actions?

Time to get off the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The misrepresentation and faux outrage is amusing as always.

Ye do come across as being a bit stalkerish and ghoulish though. Grandiose conspiracy theories about reports being leaked or withheld, Josepha Madigan’s involvement, the underlying tones of misogyny in this and the swing thread, the thousands of posts when ye should be working for your employers etc. Just all a bit much and over the top.

FG are going to be in power again after the next election. That’s very difficult for some of you to take.

Gettin a bit chile in here tonight.

Gettin a bit chile in here tonight.

Better than the usual standard, Johnny!

Better than the usual standard, Johnny!

I don't have a standard expected of me, just noted your constructive input to the thread again, despite similar types of comments and their knock on effects in the other threads.

By the way amigo, there's no conspiracy theory ref Bailey and Madigans legal claim, it's been openly admitted both on air and in print.

The stalking and ghoul accusations, I'll let others make a call on that one, seemed s bit personal to me though, but suffice to say, you were wrong back in May about how this story would die and no one had interest in it.

It was the first thing hit me this morning when I walked into the local Centra for a coffee and bun, it was also being discussed on RTE and Newstalk during several shows today, it will probably continue to be discussed now for another fortnight until her fate is known (caught the tail end of the news coming home in the car tonight reporting this), it will be discussed for weeks after her fate is known, and it will be discussed up to, and during their election campaign.

I'll take your FG power prediction with a pinch of salt if you don't mind, your past predictions were crap.

Enjoy Chile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ye do come across as being a bit stalkerish and ghoulish though. Grandiose conspiracy theories about reports being leaked or withheld, Josepha Madigan’s involvement, the underlying tones of misogyny in this and the swing thread, the thousands of posts when ye should be working for your employers etc. Just all a bit much and over the top.

FG are going to be in power again after the next election. That’s very difficult for some of you to take.

Sure off you go when PP opens and place your bet, money in the bank according to you. ;-)
    Although I am curious as to why your response is a personal one as opposed to dealing with any comment? Why is that, you never play GAA? The ball not the man.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Attack the post, not the poster - if you wish to continue posting in this thread,keep it civil

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Enough of the faux outrage blanch, when will you comment on the OP,?

What do you think of Maria Bailey and Josepha's actions?

Time to get off the fence.

Are you ok with the vitriol on this thread?

Do you agree that Vicky Phelan and other terminally ill people are not fit for public office?

Do you agree with plumthedepths that it is nothing to get upset about and only faux outrage?

Do you accept that Maria Bailey suffered a family bereavement as so many here continue to deny?

I have commented elsewhere on Madigan - address it there - because I am not going to indulge you in this cesspool of a thread.k

Helen Lovejoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What a crooked country we live in. Nobody outside working age should be allowed vote in it to sustain sense.

16/18 to 65 and outside that, fook ye.

• Advertisement

What a crooked country we live in. Nobody outside working age should be allowed vote in it to sustain sense.

16/18 to 65 and outside that, fook ye.

Taking the vote off pensioners is it a good or bad idea? They have shown they are willing to throw the younger generations to the wolves to maintain the largesse from the state they enjoy but that's for a different thread.

Apologies folks if I appeared a small bit sour this evening. Was served up this:

0-D25-BAC2-7857-4079-9900-74-AE9-B447-CC2.jpg

I can confirm there is no swing in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats a big head.

How'd it taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

hope you handed that pint back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Do you agree that Vicky Phelan and other terminally ill people are not fit for public office?

Do you agree with plumthedepths that it is nothing to get upset about and only faux outrage?

Do you accept that Maria Bailey suffered a family bereavement as so many here continue to deny?

I have commented elsewhere on Madigan - address it there - because I am not going to indulge you in this cesspool of a thread.k

Blanch, you are all over the shop to be honest. Not sure what your motives are.

Bringing Vicky Phelan into the thread is a bit warped. You have no idea how much the cervical check scandal angers me. No idea. I blame Leo and Simon and Fine Gael for it too. But to somehow compare Phelan going for office to further her cause, to 74 year old John Bailey ensuring his seat would not be lost is not right. I did not make the point about terminally ill people going for re-election to help the party, maybe it needs a separate thread.

Very very very very few people think Bailey's father isn't dead. They are winding you up.

This thread is only a few days old but if there is 'vitriol' that bothers you, then report it. Otherwise get over yourself. If the cesspool bothers you, feel free to ignore. Bailey is all over the news and people are entitled to comment on the story.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/defiant-td-bailey-expects-to-be-taken-off-ticket-38653843.html
    Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey remains defiant and blames party HQ for orchestrating her expected removal from the general ticket in Dún Laoghaire.
    Party members in Ms Bailey's constituency voted in favour of an "urgent review" of Fine Gael's general election strategy in the wake of the "Swing-gate" controversy.

Ms Bailey claimed Fine Gael general secretary Tom Curran is behind the efforts at a local level to remove her from the ticket, according to a source who spoke with her in recent days.

"She is obviously disappointed; she is defiant," said the Fine Gael source. "I think she expects to be taken off the ticket."

Another party source, who had spoken with Ms Bailey, said: "It's a mess, it's sad… I do feel sorry for her. She is the master of her own downfall."

Fine Gael are in turmoil. If she gets taken out, I think she will spill the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If she'd have stayed standing she wouldn't be in the position she's put herself in.
    Edit. This is far from over,as we have been told

https://www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-maria-bailey-confidence-4874994-Nov2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Who brought Vicki Phelan into it?
    The fact that Baileys father died doesn’t change the fact that she is a proven liar and attempted fraudster.
    The fact that she, her family and her few supporters would try to use his death to avoid facing the music for the lies and the attempted fraud means that they are nothing but greedy grabbing no class upstarts.

What a disgraceful post.

Are you telling me that Vicky Phelan wouldn’t make a great public representative?

Or is it only terminally ill politicians that you disagree with should stand down?

I don’t think Phelan would make a great rep. What skills has she displayed that would make me think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t think Phelan would make a great rep. What skills has she displayed that would make me think that?

She's certainly not going to any worse than the vast majority of the current people in there.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/swing-gate-td-maria-bailey-rejected-by-local-fg-members-961088.html
    Fine Gael has been damaged by the controversy which has rumbled on since before the local and European elections in May. Some within Fine Gael remain unhappy that Mr Varadkar did not take more severe action on the matter.

However, the meeting, which took place in Dún Laoghaire’s Marine Hotel, was told that people in the constituency have been feeding information to a national newspaper, which was described as “deplorable” and “completely unacceptable”.

Members were warned that they would be referred to a disciplinary meeting.

Look at the fallout above within Fine Gael. This story and the secrecy/inaction has really damaged Leo's leadership.
    Coveney was clever in asking Bailey to be let off with a light punishment. It makes Leo look weak.

Augme wrote: »
    She's certainly not going to any worse than the vast majority of the current people in there.

That’s not a reason to vote for anyone though. She’s fighting a good fight. Lots of people are doing that without any publicity. The only difference between her and them is that she’s now a public figure. Doesn’t make any of them suitable for public office.

Quick recap on things, and my own thoughts on the whole story affair so far are:

Originally it didn't look great, not bad, but not great (newspaper articles) until Maria did the infamous interview with O'Rourke where she tried to imply it was she who was a victim in all of it.

The public, and indeed her own party colleagues didn't receive the interview very well at all, the public thinking she came across as a self important charlatan who tried to make a quick buck off of a local business due to her own stupidity, the colleagues in fg because she ratted out Madigan, and told no one she was doing the interview - "loose cannon" so too speak.

Press did a bit more digging, unearthing the letter demanding cash from the hotel, Madigan initiating proceedings etc, Leo knew the optics were bad, very bad, so moved to give the impression that he was being proactive.

An internal party review was set up, to establish all the facts of the case, Leo at first saying he wasn't sure if he would show this report to the public, because he would need to see how bad it was first.

Weeks go by with no report, slowly we hear of interviews with Leo, and how he may not release the report because your man conducting it, apparently without Leo's knowledge or permission granted strict reassurances of anonymity to anyone speaking with him.

Leo confirms he has received report, has read it and it's been declared due to these assurances given by Kennedy that the report cannot be released to the public, we all guffaw.

Statement made on the same day as Boris Johnson makes headlines across the world, the report exonerated Maria Bailey from any accusations of making a fraudulent claim, she would be reprimanded, blahdee blahdee blah, and these things won't happen again, members of the law and order party must now declare any outstanding claims going forward, etc etc, waffle waffle, BS BS.

In Leo's eyes, (and some on these message boards) - job done. A bit of window dressing to give the impression they were taking the case of a dodgy claim seriously was done, while simultaneously burying it amongst the news about Boris Johnson.

Few months and brexit furore, everyone will hopefully forget about it, life will go on, bailey can keep the head down, onward and upward for FG.

Leo didn't Factor in the curve ball of the local member's not being happy to let bailey remain on a ticket though, he never seen that problem coming.

Now his inaction and burial attempts have come back to bite his arse, Bailey's not going to go quietly by the looks of things, even though she's clearly not wanted, not just on a local level, but it would seem to be a fairly well shared opinion across the whole party itself, the problem is as to how to get shot of her.

Maria obviously feels she's been wronged on some level given her comments the other night about how all the facts about her case aren't yet in the public domain, and so the report's tell us, she's "defiant", possibly dirty laundry will be aired over this etc etc.

Take her out Leo, and she could take more with her by telling where the bodies are, but if you leave her be, then the press, the public and the opposition will have a field day forever and a day.

That "insurance fraud affects us all" campaign doesn't look so shiny and intuitive now in hindsight.

It's a complete Clusterfcuk. Simple as.

Tell me I'm wrong if you like, I know I'm not though, and you know you can't.

All over a fully grown adult and a fcuking swing. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

lol at people who believe anything any politician says or think any of them are honest. They are all scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Quick recap on things, and my own thoughts on the whole story affair so far are:

Originally it didn't look great, not bad, but not great (newspaper articles) until Maria did the infamous interview with O'Rourke where she tried to imply it was she who was a victim in all of it.

The public, and indeed her own party colleagues didn't receive the interview very well at all, the public thinking she came across as a self important charlatan who tried to make a quick buck off of a local business due to her own stupidity, the colleagues in fg because she ratted out Madigan, and told no one she was doing the interview - "loose cannon" so too speak.

Press did a bit more digging, unearthing the letter demanding cash from the hotel, Madigan initiating proceedings etc, Leo knew the optics were bad, very bad, so moved to give the impression that he was being proactive.

An internal party review was set up, to establish all the facts of the case, Leo at first saying he wasn't sure if he would show this report to the public, because he would need to see how bad it was first.

Weeks go by with no report, slowly we hear of interviews with Leo, and how he may not release the report because your man conducting it, apparently without Leo's knowledge or permission granted strict reassurances of anonymity to anyone speaking with him.

Leo confirms he has received report, has read it and it's been declared due to these assurances given by Kennedy that the report cannot be released to the public, we all guffaw.

Statement made on the same day as Boris Johnson makes headlines across the world, the report exonerated Maria Bailey from any accusations of making a fraudulent claim, she would be reprimanded, blahdee blahdee blah, and these things won't happen again, members of the law and order party must now declare any outstanding claims going forward, etc etc, waffle waffle, BS BS.

In Leo's eyes, (and some on these message boards) - job done. A bit of window dressing to give the impression they were taking the case of a dodgy claim seriously was done, while simultaneously burying it amongst the news about Boris Johnson.

Few months and brexit furore, everyone will hopefully forget about it, life will go on, bailey can keep the head down, onward and upward for FG.

Leo didn't Factor in the curve ball of the local member's not being happy to let bailey remain on a ticket though, he never seen that problem coming.

Now his inaction and burial attempts have come back to bite his arse, Bailey's not going to go quietly by the looks of things, even though she's clearly not wanted, not just on a local level, but it would seem to be a fairly well shared opinion across the whole party itself, the problem is as to how to get shot of her.

Maria obviously feels she's been wronged on some level given her comments the other night about how all the facts about her case aren't yet in the public domain, and so the report's tell us, she's "defiant", possibly dirty laundry will be aired over this etc etc.

Take her out Leo, and she could take more with her by telling where the bodies are, but if you leave her be, then the press, the public and the opposition will have a field day forever and a day.

That "insurance fraud affects us all" campaign doesn't look so shiny and intuitive now in hindsight.

Excellent post. Johnny, would you mind if I sent it on to Jim Sheridan :).
    On second thoughts, he doesnt do comedy films :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Quick recap on things, and my own thoughts on the whole story affair so far are: . . . .

you can't go be going around telling the truth in Ireland though . .it won't end well for you.

You forgot that her argument was that she, as a fully grown adult, should have been supervised on said swing.

Was it Madigan’s idea to add that gem?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That Sean O'Rourke interview was the biggest problem IMO. Maria Bailey showed little to no awareness of the situation and how be doing that interview how it would rightly be seen. I remember talking to two FG members the following saturday and I just said "Maria Bailey" and you could see the annoyance in their faces, so I'm not surprised Maria Bailey's local FG branch voted how they did during the week.

high_king wrote: »
    you can't go be going around telling the truth in Ireland though . .it won't end well for you.

The Irish reaction to the truth? “That’s a disgusting thing to say!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's one dam fine synopsis Sir, written without fear or favour.

Thank's for sharing.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement