Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nothing like a bit of Maria Bailey entertainment on Saturday afternoon during lockdown, she really is the gift that keeps giving.

I wonder whats going on in the background between Bailey and the Indo. It was them she gave her recent 'poor me' interview to and that photo they always use of Maria with her sad face on was taken by a Sunday Independent photographer in her home for another 'poor me' article that she gave them an interview for after the initial controversy broke out.

But now more than a year and a half after the event she is complaining about her media partner on grounds of data protection. She's had more than 18 months to put in a complaint of that nature but didnt do it in that time, yet now here she is complaining to the Data Protection Commission ages after the event. Sounds to me like Baileys relationship with the Indo has changed in the last week and she is now lashing out at them by calling in the DPC. She had had lots of time on her hands to do it before now but didnt, something strange about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

dontmindme wrote: »
    The narrative will shift to a claim of how unfairly she was treated - vindicated by a legal settlement. She might save her good name yet.

She fell off a swing while holding drinks in each hand on July 10th*, then tried to sue the hotel, citing she was seriously enough injured to prevent her "running at all" for 3 months.

It was then shown (,by her own social media pages) that not only was she at Longitude on July 18th, but also ran "The Bay 10km" in 53mins on August 3rd** I make that 24 days, not 3 months.

July 10th* - August 3rd** is 24 days, a hell of a lot less than 3 months.

I don't think she'll be saving her good name anytime soon.

Full timeline of the whole sorry mess available here btw.

https://headtopics.com/ie/timeline-how-the-maria-bailey-swing-gate-controversy-unfolded-independent-ie-7076557

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Monserrat Worried Tomcat

Dav010 wrote: »
    She has proved her stamina in matters of poor PR, it’ll take a while for any court case relating to her recent action, can’t see Indo backing down so this could still be ongoing in 2 years. Either way, she’s done as a creditable candidate for any elected office.

She’ll hope for an seat in Seanad but I don’t think anyone’s that’s stupid to nominate her

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I have my opinion of her. Ive made up my mind about her. Nothing in the last few weeks will change that, actually her interviews solidify my thoughts on her. Shes a brass necked individual trying to pull a fast one and her recent interviews in which she compares herself to Caroline Flack do nothing but confirm my thoughts on her.

Shes a public figure, she is deserving of the criticism she gets and gets zero sympathy from me.

Her complaint with the DPC means little at this stage. Hard to comment when we dont know what the complaint is about or who its against.

What I will say its very likely she is seeking a decision from the DPC to strengthen any legal case shes considering.

If she wants a career in politics, she should own her mistakes and move on. Her quest to make others accountable for her own foolishness is shameful.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of Maria Bailey entertainment on Saturday afternoon during lockdown, she really is the gift that keeps giving.

I wonder whats going on in the background between Bailey and the Indo. It was them she gave her recent 'poor me' interview to and that photo they always use of Maria with her sad face on was taken by a Sunday Independent photographer in her home for another 'poor me' article that she gave them an interview for after the initial controversy broke out.

But now more than a year and a half after the event she is complaining about her media partner on grounds of data protection. She's had more than 18 months to put in a complaint of that nature but didnt do it in that time, yet now here she is complaining to the Data Protection Commission ages after the event. Sounds to me like Baileys relationship with the Indo has changed in the last week and she is now lashing out at them by calling in the DPC. She had had lots of time on her hands to do it before now but didnt, something strange about that.

Its not certain that her complaint is againt the INM or is it clear who its against.

My gut tells me it isnt against INM. The recent interview suggests shes not going for them.

Could be against the Dean, though Im unsure what angle she could complain about them.

It could be against Fine Gael.

Sure its hard to even know what shes complaining about.

When more details come out hopefully her motives could be clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Could it also be about the 'leaked transcripts' from her GP or wherever they came from. Wasn't she going on about that at the start of the SOR interview?

Suckit wrote: »
    Could it also be about the 'leaked transcripts' from her GP or wherever they came from. Wasn't she going on about that at the start of the SOR interview?

She wants to know where the INM got their information.

Normally companies have to be transparent about where they got your data from.

However, now Im no expert, but I dont think it applies to journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Quandary

Sorry Pat, Bailey was off the radar until SHE went public a few weeks ago by doing that BO’C interview.

Nobody but herself to blame. I’m just amazed she has people coming on here defending her.

Search the thread for Pats contributions and you'll see he has great time for Bailey.

One of her most vociferous and ardent defenders/deflectors

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Everyone is entitled to their privacy.

Politicians should always be an exception to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Quandary wrote: »
    Search the thread for Pats contributions and you'll see he has great time for Bailey.

One of her most vociferous and ardent defenders/deflectors

Oh I know, Paddy is one of the legendary 3 amigos lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its not certain that her complaint is againt the INM or is it clear who its against.

My gut tells me it isnt against INM. The recent interview suggests shes not going for them.

The Indo seem to think its against them and how they covered the story of Swinggate
    The Data Protection Commission has launched a statutory inquiry against Independent News and Media on foot of a complaint by former TD Maria Bailey.

It is understood the investigation relates to coverage of a personal injuries claim taken by Ms Bailey which became commonly referred to as ‘swinggate’.
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/data-commission-investigates-complaint-from-maria-bailey-40218386.html

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

The Indo seem to think its against them and how they covered the story of Swinggate

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/data-commission-investigates-complaint-from-maria-bailey-40218386.html

I'm torn now. I wouldn't lose any sleep if she cleaned them out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Suppose she might want a new fireplace and some other bits for the house.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Politicians should always be an exception to this.

Really does this include there family also

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Really does this include there family also

Where the family profits or gains advantage by dint of their relatives position, of course it should.

Given the amount of relatives employed by TD's and other reps, the issuance of cheques and payments to spouses rather than the office holder?

Yes, of course it should apply to family members.
    Where public office has potential to be abused, it's not just the office holder that stands to gain or to peddle influence.

banie01 wrote: »
    Where the family profits or gains advantage by dint of their relatives position, of course it should.

Given the amount of relatives employed by TD's and other reps, the issuance of cheques and payments to spouses rather than the office holder?

Yes, of course it should apply to family members.
    Where public office has potential to be abused, it's not just the office holder that stands to gain or to peddle influence.

Is that private life though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is that private life though

No, nor is undertaking litigation whilst claiming 3 months incapacity and self publishing information that proves you weren't and that you ran a 10km race aswell as attended a music festival.

There is no "privacy" issue at play here that isn't completely undermines by
    1. Filing claim in court which is a matter of public record.
    2. Publishing the details that undermined her claim.

banie01 wrote: »
    No, nor is undertaking litigation whilst claiming 3 months incapacity and self publishing information that proves you weren't and that you ran a 10km race aswell as attended a music festival.

There is no "privacy" issue at play here that isn't completely undermines by
    1. Filing claim in court which is a matter of public record.
    2. Publishing the details that undermined her claim.

I mean anything in the public domain like court filing, getting a job, or public on your social media is fine.

Medical data should not be unless declared in court materials that the public can access.

The original post I should have went and checked to see if there was more as I was going more private in private life if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wow.

She is nowhere near right.

Bigger ego than Leo, that's saying something.

Sorry, I miswrote what I intended to say.

I meant that her DPC complaint is with INM but thats not where her gripe may be.

INM just hold information, more specifically she wants to know where they obtained certain data.

Now she probably already knows where it cane from but cant prove it and she hoping this investigation by DPC allows her proof of how they obtained it.

While shes probably unhappy at INM obtained it, shes probably after their source.

Now who their source is could be her party who did an investigation, her GP, a friend who had this information, it could be the hotel, or anyone else.

Of its the hotel, then they might be in trouble. Legal action against them could be again on the horizon.

If its Fine Gael, then she could also be seeking a legal challenge or perhaps leverage for something else. Leo already has had enough embarrassment over leaks, this wouldn't be soenthing FG would want in the open.

If its a friend or another indivudual then, it all depends where this indivdiual obtained it from

I cant see INM being compelled to reveal a source. The DPC may find out, but Ms Bailey may not be entitled under law to know who provided this information.

We can easily assume Bailey wont be going away from the public eye soon either way.

The last line of the article suggests shes unhappy with hiw FG treated her. I bet thats where her motivations lie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

I know a long time has passed and the culture might be a bit different now but the cheek of her taking this action when she was part of a Government supposedly seeking reform in relation to personal injury claims, to stop driving insurance rates up is still unthinkable.

We're almost at the point where solicitors need to be taken out of the equation. Large awards should be for life changing suffering and long term stress or medical negligence, not falling off a swing when you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Large awards should be for life changing suffering and long term stress or medical negligence, not falling off a swing when you're drunk.

I'd remove all whiplash and soft-tissue damages from claims as well. If it isn't obvious, **** off with your whinging.

Too many ***** looking for easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

has she complained to the DPC about the Dean Hotel or anyone associated with them? or just INM https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/data-commission-investigates-complaint-from-maria-bailey-40218386.html surely its the leaker, not the news receiver, that may have breached her privacy as far as the DPC is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is there anything to stop a defendant disclosing information relating to a claim in a civil case?

has she complained to the DPC about the Dean Hotel or anyone associated with them? or just INM https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/data-commission-investigates-complaint-from-maria-bailey-40218386.html surely its the leaker, not the news receiver, that may have breached her privacy as far as the DPC is concerned.

Not necessarily.

Organisations have to be transparent about how they collected the data. Thing is, there is also rules which allow papers and media outlets process data where GDPR doesnt apply.

Her rights will be balanced against the media outlet.

I imagine INM dont wanna reveal their source. Cant imagine they will be made to... it would set a major precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Not necessarily.

Organisations have to be transparent about how they collected the data. Thing is, there is also rules which allow papers and media outlets process data where GDPR doesnt apply.

Her rights will be balanced against the media outlet.

I imagine INM dont wanna reveal their source. Cant imagine they will be made to... it would set a major precedent.
    if you think a newspaper breached your privacy do you not go to the press ombudsman/council (Industry self regulatory body) and then the courts? Do you really go to the DPC?

contrast this with the INM 19+ story where it was about internal data searching and it would be an DPC issue....

Dav010 wrote: »
    Is there anything to stop a defendant disclosing information relating to a claim in a civil case?

If its an organisation then its a potential GDPR infringement

if you think a newspaper breached your privacy do you not go to the press ombudsman/council (Industry self regulatory body) and then the courts? Do you really go to the DPC?

contrast this with the INM 19+ story where it was about internal data searching and it would be an DPC issue....
    This isnt about a breach of privacy. It appears she is looking for information on where INM collected her medical data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

I'd remove all whiplash and soft-tissue damages from claims as well. If it isn't obvious, **** off with your whinging.

Too many ***** looking for easy money.

Was the book of Quantum amended for personal injury awards at all recently?

From a layperson's perspective I find it hard to think that there can't be definite figures applied to certain injuries, allowing for some adjustment due on the impact on daily life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This isnt about a breach of privacy. It appears she is looking for information on where INM collected her medical data.

If INM had medical data on me, I'd be looking for information on where they accessed it.

Advertisement