Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/defiant-td-bailey-expects-to-be-taken-off-ticket-38653843.html

Fine Gael are in turmoil. If she gets taken out, I think she will spill the beans.

WILL be very interesting to see what dirt she blabbers on JM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Indo once again implying that there's possibly stormy waters ahead for Josepha, "I didn't do nothing wrong" Madigan in their latest article.
    After flailing around on deciding what to do with Bailey when the controversy blew up, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has been presented with the impetus to push her off the Fine Gael ticket. The move to request a full review of the candidates allows Varadkar to live up to his pledge to let members decide who runs for the party.

However, it's not set in stone and there's a few more potential slips along the way.

Just as we have been saying in this thread.
    Bailey made an impassioned plea at a meeting of party members in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dún Laoghaire.
    In her speech, there were a few nuggets to be parsed and analysed by the party before making a decision.

Bailey said all the facts about her compensation case were not known by the public. She referenced the signing of her affidavit, the court document that revealed a number of inconsistencies in her claim.

An internal Fine Gael report found Culture Minister Josepha Madigan, then a backbench TD, "gave initial legal advice, guidance and assisted Deputy Bailey with her Personal Injuries Assessment Board application".

Madigan did not deal with the subsequent legal proceedings, which were handled by her family's solicitor's firm, Madigans Solicitors, for which she no longer works.

Yet some in attendance were left wondering whether this latest reference to the claim means the minister could get dragged back into the controversy.

Bailey also expressed a determination to run in the general election, which could indicate a threat to run as an Independent if dropped by Fine Gael.

"There will be a loyal Bailey vote. There will be people who think she has been badly treated. She won't get elected but she damages us by being on the ballot paper at all," a party strategist said.

Her supporters also complained about members not being notified and the legitimacy of the vote. It leaves a legal challenge on the table.

She hasn't gone away, you know - and she's not going to go quietly.

"The Baileys always have something in their back pocket," a party source said.

Shaping up to be more of a cliffhanger than the last season of Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Quick recap on things, and my own thoughts on the whole story affair so far are:

Originally it didn't look great, not bad, but not great (newspaper articles) until Maria did the infamous interview with O'Rourke where she tried to imply it was she who was a victim in all of it.

The public, and indeed her own party colleagues didn't receive the interview very well at all, the public thinking she came across as a self important charlatan who tried to make a quick buck off of a local business due to her own stupidity, the colleagues in fg because she ratted out Madigan, and told no one she was doing the interview - "loose cannon" so too speak.

Press did a bit more digging, unearthing the letter demanding cash from the hotel, Madigan initiating proceedings etc, Leo knew the optics were bad, very bad, so moved to give the impression that he was being proactive.

An internal party review was set up, to establish all the facts of the case, Leo at first saying he wasn't sure if he would show this report to the public, because he would need to see how bad it was first.

Weeks go by with no report, slowly we hear of interviews with Leo, and how he may not release the report because your man conducting it, apparently without Leo's knowledge or permission granted strict reassurances of anonymity to anyone speaking with him.

Leo confirms he has received report, has read it and it's been declared due to these assurances given by Kennedy that the report cannot be released to the public, we all guffaw.

Statement made on the same day as Boris Johnson makes headlines across the world, the report exonerated Maria Bailey from any accusations of making a fraudulent claim, she would be reprimanded, blahdee blahdee blah, and these things won't happen again, members of the law and order party must now declare any outstanding claims going forward, etc etc, waffle waffle, BS BS.

In Leo's eyes, (and some on these message boards) - job done. A bit of window dressing to give the impression they were taking the case of a dodgy claim seriously was done, while simultaneously burying it amongst the news about Boris Johnson.

Few months and brexit furore, everyone will hopefully forget about it, life will go on, bailey can keep the head down, onward and upward for FG.

Leo didn't Factor in the curve ball of the local member's not being happy to let bailey remain on a ticket though, he never seen that problem coming.

Now his inaction and burial attempts have come back to bite his arse, Bailey's not going to go quietly by the looks of things, even though she's clearly not wanted, not just on a local level, but it would seem to be a fairly well shared opinion across the whole party itself, the problem is as to how to get shot of her.

Maria obviously feels she's been wronged on some level given her comments the other night about how all the facts about her case aren't yet in the public domain, and so the report's tell us, she's "defiant", possibly dirty laundry will be aired over this etc etc.

Take her out Leo, and she could take more with her by telling where the bodies are, but if you leave her be, then the press, the public and the opposition will have a field day forever and a day.

That "insurance fraud affects us all" campaign doesn't look so shiny and intuitive now in hindsight.

It's a complete Clusterfcuk. Simple as.

Tell me I'm wrong if you like, I know I'm not though, and you know you can't.

All over a fully grown adult and a fcuking swing. :D

AND just in case anyone needs reminding, here's THAT interview:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/programmes/2019/0527/1051957-today-with-sean-orourke-monday-27-may-2019/

Excellently summarised Johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Baileys always have something in their back pocket

If ever there was a thinly veiled threat....

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If ever there was a thinly veiled threat....

Ah yeah you could read it that way too, but initially I thought (after the stories on Wikipedia about the auld lad), that they meant brown envelope bungs.

My bad. :p

• Advertisement

Or maybe she goes around with a yellow card in her back pocket for handing out to those deemed to be playing offside :pac:

Either way shes not going down quietly. Papers also reporting alleged irregularities concerning the meeting the other night which might end up in the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Or maybe she goes around with a yellow card in her back pocket for handing out to those deemed to be playing offside :pac:

Either way shes not going down quietly. Papers also reporting alleged irregularities concerning the meeting the other night which might end up in the courts.
    Ah-ha.
    Maria will finally get her day in court then.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ah-ha.
    Maria will finally get her day in court then.

And she wont be ringing Madigans for legal representation either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Last time FG went to court with a disgruntled former candidate it cost them 500k they won't be happy having to shell out again when there is a GE on the horizon.

Last time FG went to court with a disgruntled former candidate it cost them 500k they won't be happy having to shell out again when there is a GE on the horizon.

Wasn't that down to voting irregularities? People voting who weren't there etc?

History's repeating itself again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They didn't vote her out so no such drama. They've just kicked it up to HQ. Leo will ultimately be left with the ball unless they can get her to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe that was the reason Leo did not take any action in the beginning......( or may 500'000 reason's to be more precise??? ):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There was claims of irregularities at this meeting too. I can see a court date if Bailey is off the ticket, would fun to watch though. Depleting FG's election 'war chest' and Bailey spreading the brown stuff far and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

m3wYbh1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Tell us more Johnny? Which side were faking votes?

This is what I read;
    About 150 delegates registered to vote at the meeting, out of a total eligible electorate of about 400. The vote was carried out by secret ballot. Sources suggested the motion had been carried by a margin of about 90 votes to 60.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/maria-bailey-faces-axe-after-fine-gael-meeting-urges-general-election-ticket-review-1.4068657

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I agree with a lot of this

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/donal-lynch-why-voters-not-fine-gael-should-decide-on-underfire-maria-baileys-political-fate-38656043.html
    'Why voters, not Fine Gael, should decide on under-fire Maria Bailey's political fate'

Removing Maria Bailey from the ticket would have a whiff of double standards, writes Donal Lynch
    There would firstly be a whiff of double standards about it. Why, for instance, is there not a similar debate about Bailey's Fine Gael colleague, Alan Farrell?

Fianna Fail has called for an investigation into him but Fine Gael has been curiously quiet and in many ways his case was worse than Bailey's. While she eventually withdrew her claim, as sharply as a chameleon withdraws its tongue, Farrell actually persevered with his. He got an award of €2,500 after a minor road traffic accident, even though the judge in the case noted that there was "no notation" to back up the claim of whiplash. And if we are to accept that Bailey committed such an egregious offence that she gets booted off the ticket, how should we view Fine Gael's voting relationship with Michael Lowry, a recently convicted criminal?

I am at a loss as to why Alan Farrell is getting so little attention for his completely bona fides insurance win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I am at a loss as to why Alan Farrell is getting so little attention for his completely bona fides insurance win.

I think the main reason, for me anyway, was the blatant ****ing stupidity of using the - 'swing should have been supervised and had instructions' as part of their case. I think that's what got on peoples collective wick. Also, the stupidity of not holding on to the ropes.
    They basically never thought it would ever get to court.

The Farrell thing was all a bit meh in comparison to Bailey, but just as ropey. He's screwed next GE anyway.

Mr Perry was one of four candidates for three nominations but was eliminated on the first count. He says if it was not for the irregularities, he would not have been eliminated and would have benefited from a voting pact on transfers that he had with another candidate.

Those alleged irregularities included members being recorded as present and voting when they were not present.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Never gets old! Just listened to it again.

The building resentment and anger from her that comes out as the interview goes on is hugely significant. She truly believes that this was an orchestrated campaign against her and she did nothing wrong. Other TD's, the media, the public all against her... She genuinely sees herself as a victim. She did nothing wrong and she won't be bullied.

Given everything that's since happened, one thing is sure I reckon.

She won't go down without getting what she considers justice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I think the main reason, for me anyway, was the blatant ****ing stupidity of using the - 'swing should have been supervised and had instructions' as part of their case. I think that's what got on peoples collective wick. Also, the stupidity of not holding on to the ropes.

I think it was "that interview." All eyes were on Maria Bailey from that moment on. I still have no idea what possessed her to do it. There is a good chance the story would have fizzled out if she had kept quiet. But, for some bizarre reason she went on a solo run to the RTE studios and the rest is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mzungu wrote: »
    I think it was "that interview." All eyes were on Maria Bailey from that moment on. I still have no idea what possessed her to do it. There is a good chance the story would have fizzled out if she had kept quiet. But, for some bizarre reason she went on a solo run to the RTE studios and the rest is history.

Arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Arrogance.

Possibly drink fuelled arrogance going by the slurring.

Or maybe that's how she speaks normally. I don't know.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Never gets old! Just listened to it again.

The building resentment and anger from her that comes out as the interview goes on is hugely significant. She truly believes that this was an orchestrated campaign against her and she did nothing wrong. Other TD's, the media, the public all against her... She genuinely sees herself as a victim. She did nothing wrong and she won't be bullied.

Given everything that's since happened, one thing is sure I reckon.

She won't go down without getting what she considers justice.

That's OK so....Justice is what we are all looking for. Justice and protection from all criminal's and their activity's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

mzungu wrote: »

She had a PR guru with her. When he saw and heard the disaster unfolding he should have stopped the interview.
    Any excuse from "bad line" to a "bad turn".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"You have to remember Sean, I'm the victim here"

NIMAN wrote: »
    "You have to remember Sean, I'm the victim here"

Aren't we all? Ask anyone who pays insurance........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Worse than playing "the victim" she lied on a Court document - her affidavit

She said she couldn't do her normal actiivities, like running, and then ran a fast 10km race 2 weeks later - pure lies

And still she said she did nothing wrong - arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

The Farrell thing was all a bit meh in comparison to Bailey, but just as ropey. He's screwed next GE anyway.
    Pretty much. That and the bottles in each hand. Most people would laugh it off once they got over the embarrassment. I don't agree with the Indo view on MB. It's parties who decide to run candidates. I think FG will let Farrell run as they only have one seat there. Reilly will probably have another go and they might feel between the pair of them that they can hold a seat. The departure of Daly is a plus as that vote would most likely splinter and even if they go as low as 10% in FPVs that's nearly a seat.
    DL is a different story and they will be starting an election campaign with an automatic seat loss , through Barrett's retirement. Keeping Bailey could put a second seat under pressure even though they are currently on about 30% in FPVs. RBB and Mitchell O'Connor will be returned. After that Hannafin would fancy her chances, if voters are less hostile to FF, and there could be a Green surge to knock out a second FG (MB) seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

'Sean Sean Sean'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

2smiggy wrote: »
    'Sean Sean Sean'

Borrowing from Mary Lou

“Let me be very clear Seán”

It’s unbearably cringe worthy. What an absolute spanner she seems to be.

“In my pjs on the sofa watching tv with the kids”.

Advertisement