Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress redesign

Options
  • 31-10-2019 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a wordpress site for my business. It's a basic enough site at the minute probably about 10-12 pages. No ecommerce or anything like that on it.

I want to update it as we've had the same one for 5 years. We've recently expanded into a new premises so money is tight at the minute so I'm wondering is it possible for me to do this myself? And if so how difficult would it be? Or should I just wait and pay someone?

I'd be looking to add some content as well as change the overall look of the website.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi guys,

I have a wordpress site for my business. It's a basic enough site at the minute probably about 10-12 pages. No ecommerce or anything like that on it.

I want to update it as we've had the same one for 5 years. We've recently expanded into a new premises so money is tight at the minute so I'm wondering is it possible for me to do this myself? And if so how difficult would it be? Or should I just wait and pay someone?

I'd be looking to add some content as well as change the overall look of the website.

Thanks!

Since we know nothing about your knowledge or skills it's very difficult for anyone to tell you if you would be able to do this yourself....

Do you have a flare for colours, photography etc....

Do you have the basic IT skills, knowledge of Wordpress.... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

This sort of depends on what hourly rate you value your own time at because if you spend a long time playing around with this, it could be argued its costing more.

If you are looking for a nice WP site on a very tight budget I would recommend approaching a freelancer but with the view that they could use a theme which you could have picked out for them, and like Jim2007 said, if you have good photography and eye for colours etc it might make things even easier.

Basically tell them you would be willing to do as much as possible and all they need do is set up and configure the theme on a domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If you're on a tight budget I would reccommend just adding a new theme to give it a fresh look.

Look up Divi by Elegant Themes.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dazftw wrote: »
    If you're on a tight budget I would reccommend just adding a new theme to give it a fresh look.

Look up Divi by Elegant Themes.
    I second the first part (a new theme).

What I don't like about Divi is that it uses shortcodes in the content and this will make it very very difficult to change to a different theme in the future.

If you want to do it yourself I suggest getting a theme from wordpress.org/themes or a good theme shop (I always use themes from StudioPress).

Advertisement