Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 European marathons

Options
  • 31-10-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey wondering if anyone has done Dusseldorf, Hanover, Hamburg marathons looking for a good flat spring marathon already did Manchester and Rotterdam in spring both are excellent races if anyone is looking at them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did Hamburg this year. Very flat. Great support around the course despite the rain.

Good sized marathon too. Plenty of runners but not crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Have my eye on Bienwald in Kandel, Germany. Early March, very flat and somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

denis b wrote: »
    Have my eye on Bienwald in Kandel, Germany. Early March, very flat and somewhere new.

There's a little club Half in Diekirch (Lux.) around 3rd Sunday in March. Low key, flat, cheap. I've done the 21.1k 3 times I believe and the 10k once or twice.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

EDIT: For some reason I thought this was about Half Ms. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hamburg or Vienna for me in April, leaning towards Hamburg - somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Itziger wrote: »
    There's a little club Half in Diekirch (Lux.) around 3rd Sunday in March. Low key, flat, cheap. I've done the 21.1k 3 times I believe and the 10k once or twice.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

EDIT: For some reason I thought this was about Half Ms. Sorry.
    No worries and thanks for the thought. And I certainly won't rule out taking up on this on the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Thinking Manchester might be on the cards for me this year. Haven't done a spring marathon yet as the winter training months haven't really held much appeal before.

Edit: And to answer your original query i have looked at Dusseldorf also, looks appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

Hoping Seville at the end of February...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

4Ad wrote: »
    Hoping Seville at the end of February...

Good stuff, another one on the bandwagon!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good stuff, another one on the bandwagon!!

Might have another Bandwagoner with me !!

Though I did say Hopefully !!

4Ad wrote: »
    Might have another Bandwagoner with me !!

Though I did say Hopefully !!

Do your best!!

• Advertisement

Might jump on this bandwagon myself.

noelearly wrote: »
    Might jump on this bandwagon myself.

The more the merrier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brenny123

OOnegative wrote: »
    The more the merrier!!

Did Sevilla great city and marathon pancake flat

Has anybody done this by flying to Madrid and heading to Seville then??

Flights much cheaper so considering this

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Yep, it pretty handy. 5 euro for the bus from Madrid airport to Attocha train station. Bus goes every 15 mins and takes around 20-25 mins to get to train station.

Train to seville was around 75 euro return. Takes around 2-2.5 hours and very comfortable. I think we got business class seats on the train for that price. Its really hassle free. The Renfe train site is bit of a minefield, but maybe it has improved.

Nice cafe called La Libre for a nice cheap snack and good coffee around 5 mins from train station in Madrid.

Yep, it pretty handy. 5 euro for the bus from Madrid airport to Attocha train station. Bus goes every 15 mins and takes around 20-25 mins to get to train station.

Train to seville was around 75 euro return. Takes around 2-2.5 hours and very comfortable. I think we got business class seats on the train for that price. Its really hassle free. The Renfe train site is bit of a minefield, but maybe it has improved.

Nice cafe called La Libre for a nice cheap snack and good coffee around 5 mins from train station in Madrid.

Excellent cheers for replying. I must make my mind up soon getting Lazy.

Out of interest how long would it take all in from Seville back to Madrid. I've a work thing on Monday so looks like ill need the flight back that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Excellent cheers for replying. I must make my mind up soon getting Lazy.

Out of interest how long would it take all in from Seville back to Madrid. I've a work thing on Monday so looks like ill need the flight back that night.

We caught a train from Seville around 1430 and then a Ryanair flight to Dublin that left around 2130 spanish time, arriving in Dublin around 11pm Irish. We had plenty of fat with that.

You would prob want to give yourself at least 5 hours from train departure time to flight departure time or whatever you are comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brenny123

Fly to Malaga the train to Sevilla is what I did very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

On the Manchester bus myself :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    On the Manchester bus myself :)

I was but just jumped off it and booked flights to Madrid for Seville.

• Advertisement

Flight and race booked.

New Nikes delivered today, cant wait to get home, it feels like Christmas Eve...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Signed up for Paris in April. Never ran there before. Route looks really good and flight times suited me for in early Sat & out late Sun (€200)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I find the requirement for a medical cert for French races very annoying, a lot of doctors in the UK won't sign it or charges an arm and a leg for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

ISOP wrote: »
    I find the requirement for a medical cert for French races very annoying, a lot of doctors in the UK won't sign it or charges an arm and a leg for it

It's a bit of a pain in the ar$e, correct. I've faked a signature on more than one occasion. Metz marathon organisers, look away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I was meant to be doing Mont St Michel last year but pulled out for other reasons, in the lead up I signed the thing myself but they sent it back demanding a doctors stamp, I couldn't be bothered with a French race again, surely signing a waiver would suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Brenny123 wrote: »
    Hey wondering if anyone has done Dusseldorf, Hanover, Hamburg marathons looking for a good flat spring marathon already did Manchester and Rotterdam in spring both are excellent races if anyone is looking at them

I ran the Dusseldorf Marathon in April 2018. Very enjoyable experience, pretty flat, good support on course. Low key expo which was nice. AL flight out Saturday early and back Monday. All in all would thoroughly recommend. If you need any more info send DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For this very reason ill never do a race in france. Eurocamping last year i got up at stupid o clock to run a 10k race in some quaint little village about 45 mins drive away. Everybody in very relaxed mood and some competitors even indulging in the early free breakfast bagels, went in to register and low and behold denied entry rather bluntly because i had no cert. I was 2 weeks removed from a marathon, what made it worse was on my way out of hall i past a lad no lie at least 25 stone eating 2 bagels and his Mrs putting his bib number on for him.

The French now have to suffer in the knowledge they will never be graced by my presence again.

Frogs

Fair play to you with the racist slur. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ac20 wrote: »
    I ran the Dusseldorf Marathon in April 2018. Very enjoyable experience, pretty flat, good support on course. Low key expo which was nice. AL flight out Saturday early and back Monday. All in all would thoroughly recommend. If you need any more info send DM.

What kind of numbers do the marathon?

Advertisement