Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot of annual leave left to take

Options
  • 31-10-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was saving up my leave throughout the year for a plan that fell through. I made my manager aware in October that I still had a significant amount of leave left to take. I took a couple of days in October and have a few days booked off for November.

After all that, I still have twelve days annual leave days left to take. A week ago, I applied to use the rest of the annual leave in December and was told 'arrangements for December' haven't been made yet so they can't approve it. However, my department is shut down from 23/12 until the New Year and my colleague has had his leave approved for that time.

Most of my time the past month has spent covering others as the company has been short-staffed. It's expected that I may need to cover other staff until the new year. My manager implied that it would save a lot of hassle if I carried some of my leave over to use the next year but company policy is you can carry two days until January 31st max.

I don't want to leave it too late and not be able to use my leave in the end.

Has anyone any advice?

TLDR: My manager knows I have a lot of leave to take. I've asked to use it in December but I've been told that their December arrangements haven't been made yet. My department will be closed over Christmas and my colleague's leave was already approved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Ask your manager to let you carry over the leave to next year as an exception (and get it confirmed in an email that this will happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Can you not just ask them to pay you for the hols due, that way your not forced to take a naff holiday, remember holidays cost money and the company does not go short staffed at this late stage of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Drakus wrote: »
    Can you not just ask them to pay you for the hols due, that way your not forced to take a naff holiday, remember holidays cost money and the company does not go short staffed at this late stage of the year.

Depends on what leave he's taken already for the year. The legal minimum is 20 days per year under EU law.

AFAIK most companies will only let you carry over/get paid out on days that are over and above this.

Advertisement