Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parent's Leave (new leave type from 1st Nov 2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

I have a now 6 week old. Am I entititled to this "parent's leave" or does the child have to be born on or after the 1st of November 2019?

This part is as clear as mud

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

According to the citizens information page it’s for children born on or after 1st Nov so I’d say you unfortunately don’t qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Parent’s leave is available to both employees and people who are self-employed. Parent’s Benefit is paid while you are on parent’s leave from work if you have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions.

I didn't realise it was dependant on having enough PRSI contributions paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Has anyone successfully applied for this?

I am looking at the application today and it requires the childs PPS number first. I presume this means the child needs to be born and registered before you can apply for this. I was hoping to take it in the first month but i cannot apply online as i have no PPS number. I am supposed to give my employer 6 weeks notice but i cant accurately do that without the PPS number.

Does the PPS number take long to come through once the birth is registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully applied for this?

I am looking at the application today and it requires the childs PPS number first. I presume this means the child needs to be born and registered before you can apply for this. I was hoping to take it in the first month but i cannot apply online as i have no PPS number. I am supposed to give my employer 6 weeks notice but i cant accurately do that without the PPS number.

Does the PPS number take long to come through once the birth is registered?

It takes about 3 weeks to a month after your baby is born to get the PPSN. It comes in the post.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    It takes about 3 weeks to a month after your baby is born to get the PPSN. It comes in the post.

No it doesn't

My child was born on December 1st. We registered her on December 2nd in the hospital.

PPSN arrived about a week later (approx. Dec 9th). Applied for the Parental leave immediately. It was approved almost immediately, and I received the payment from Social Welfare on time, on December 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No it doesn't

My child was born on December 1st. We registered her on December 2nd in the hospital.

PPSN arrived about a week later (approx. Dec 9th). Applied for the Parental leave immediately. It was approved almost immediately, and I received the payment from Social Welfare on time, on December 13th

Times vary during the year. When I’m advising people about DEASP and time frames I’m inclined to give the worst possible scenario in order to avoid anxiety when something doesn’t come when expected.

Advertisement