Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I sold my car

• 31-10-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Interesting anecdote about car selling. I advertised my 2001 Corolla for €450 on Boards. :rolleyes: I put on it "No Offers". Of course they came fast and furious, offers from €50 to €200 :D. One dealer actually took the time to chastise me for putting too high a price on it. The my buyer called me. He was a Toyota mechanic from Cork. He was very keen and didn't haggle on the price. I offered to pay his train fare to Dublin if he bought the car. Deasl done and cash in my pocket. So to all of you selling a car and getting low ball offers, stick with it and ignore the "so called experts".

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've an old Corolla as well, the few times I've had to leave it in for minor bits an bobs to be done or servicing, there have been a few queries from the mechanics if I'm selling it. One even went out and got a wad of cash to try tempt me.

Mechanics know the score on Corolla's and will always use the word bulletproof when talking about them :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've an old Corolla as well, the few times I've had to leave it in for minor bits an bobs to be done or servicing, there have been a few queries from the mechanics if I'm selling it. One even went out and got a wad of cash to try tempt me.

Mechanics know the score on Corolla's and will always use the word bulletproof when talking about them :)

They are bullet proof in fairness, I had a 01 yolk. When I got my new car I tried to kill the corolla for a laugh, drove it into a tree and through a wall and only a minor dent on the car. It still drove for a few years after that with no issues and on well over 300k miles on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I know a few lads who have the corolla with the vvti engine's, they're absolutely reliable.

Obviously the engineer's who designed these engines were practical and theoretical, unlike the pure shoite you'll see today.

Today's engine's are sensitive, soft very soft and lack the ability to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I know a few lads who have the corolla with the vvti engine's, they're absolutely reliable.

Obviously the engineer's who designed these engines were practical and theoretical, unlike the pure shoite you'll see today.

Today's engine's are sensitive, soft very soft and lack the ability to last more than 200,000 k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nthclare wrote: »

Today's engine's are sensitive, soft very soft and lack the ability to last more than 200,000 k

They’re not without their issues. The engine they replaced was a lot more robust IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Many of them ended their days with a gallon can of oil in the boot trailing blue smoke, they weren't that brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Many of them ended their days with a gallon can of oil in the boot trailing blue smoke, they weren't that brilliant.
    As Colm said the older 12v engines were the real deal, however the 1ZZ was a pretty good engine for the time, they made decent power and were on the whole very reliable.
    Yes there were some oil issues but given how many were sold the incidence of failure was remarkably small. Toyota had a campaign to replace the short blocks to stop the oil burning.
    You still see quite a few around the place, more than most other cars of that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CJhaughey wrote: »
    As Colm said the older 12v engines were the real deal, however the 1ZZ was a pretty good engine for the time, they made decent power and were on the whole very reliable.
    Yes there were some oil issues but given how many were sold the incidence of failure was remarkably small. Toyota had a campaign to replace the short blocks to stop the oil burning.
    You still see quite a few around the place, more than most other cars of that era.

loved my gold 88 corrolla 3 door hatch, used to drink oil and the bodywork rusted to bits but it kept going (sort of) still sold it when it was 15 years old as well !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have given away cars (Taxed and NCT'd) and people were turning up complaining about the car.

I'd take the car back off them on the spot.

nthclare wrote: »

Today's engine's are sensitive, soft very soft and lack the ability to

...finish off their sentences? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Brother is a mechanic and drives a 2004 1.4 diesel corrola, used to drive a 1998 corrola. All the younger mechanics want them as the daily driver while possibly keeping the Altezza etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have given away cars (Taxed and NCT'd) and people were turning up complaining about the car.

People are twats.
    Stories like this are why I prefer dogs to people more every day!

We've an 05 1.4 petrol corolla, cost 1400 last December, just spent 450 on new rear discs and pads, and one caliper, and a handbrake kit to get it thru the nct. Wear and tear stuff the previous owner didn't look after, tho it was immaculate inside and tidy enough outside.
    Only about 130k miles on it now, engine seems very solid, feels nice and tight on the road.

Advertisement