Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with broadband/TV installation

• 31-10-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi,

Trying to get a decent answer on this and have spend to long on hold to various companies so turning to boards.

I recently moved back into my house which previously has been wired for Virgin broadband and then I was with vodafone.

The builders have left a standard looking coaxial cable sticking out of the wall. No socket or anything.

Sky installation inform me that they can't use that (it was upc/virgin/horizon installed way back when) so they need to come in from lamppost.

Vodafone was working before the build was done. I'm still with these as I thought that I could just plug my stuff back in. Now I can't but I'm also not sure how they came in as I thought they'd come from lamppost as well.

But i think the only cable into my house currently is from Horizon/Virgin who came in through a different cable to the rest.

My questions are:

1: Would it just be easiest to activate the virgin media connection again?

2: Is it worth it getting a cable connected to the telegraph post when i already have this virgin media one coming in through the wall?

3: How did vodafone get their signal into the house and could they repeat this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

1) That would probably be simplest as the cable is in place.

2) It may be worth it if you value competition and the ability to switch service in order to save yourself money.

3) That depends on what service you had. Vodafone would sell three types

i) Mobile broadband through wireless. No cable involved though probably the poorest option in terms of service.

ii) Broadband through the copper phone line. The most common currently and most likely what you had.

iii) FTTH. Broadband through a fibre optic cable in which a new cable is brought into your home usually by drilling an exterior wall. Limited availability so may or may not be available to you.

Advertisement