Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EXCEL Worksheet and Pivot Table

Options
  • 31-10-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hi, wondering can someone point me in the right direction.

I have a row highlighted on worksheet1 (using conditional formatting, where 'TEXT' appears highlight row), on the worksheet2 there is a pivot table based on the data from worksheet1, how can I make it so that when information is highlighted in worksheet1 this highlights on the pivot table as well (worksheet2 does not contain 'TEXT' from worksheet1) ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I think this will take to create cond. formatting on pivot table itself, however, there is some catch. See:
    https://trumpexcel.com/apply-conditional-formatting-pivot-table-excel/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I can't figure this out. I just for when row is highlighted in work sheet that it carries over to pivot table on other sheet ( the catch being that if I use conditional formatting on worksheet based on text this text is not in the pivot table)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can't answer precisely without knowing more detail about fields used in pivot table, but you can adjust it to your setup.

Say you have data in the table on DataSheet1, where specific "text" incurs highlight of row by cond. format.: =$B2="text"

On Pivot table, in my sample, set cond. format. to cell $B$4 , select "All cells showing..." radio button so rule would work in case other rows would change in future, and formula pointing back to your DataSheet1 : =DataSheet1!$B2="text" . Basically you apply same condition to your pivot table based on value in data cell

Note:in my sample, in pivot table, cells in column B gets highlighted even if you don't refresh pivot table after changes had place on DataSheet1, way bellow Grand Total. You should always refresh pivot table to get real reflection of data.

494243.JPG

Advertisement