Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam VISA call from Limerick number.

• 31-10-2019 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just letting people know that there is a Limerick number (061 317649) which calls, and, when answered, plays an automatic message saying its the VISA secure department and that there's currently a suspicious transaction in progress worth 600 Euro, and to press 1 if you have not authorised the transaction.

It a common enough scam: https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/scam-watch-visa-fraud-department-fake-calls/

But not everybody might be aware of it, so just giving a heads up here.

In my case, I pressed 1 and the line immediately went dead. I'm wondering if I'll receive a call from the 'Visa fraud department' in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all, just letting people know that there is a Limerick number (061 317649) which calls, and, when answered, plays an automatic message saying its the VISA secure department and that there's currently a suspicious transaction in progress, and to press 1 if you have not authorised the transaction.

It a common enough scam: https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/scam-watch-visa-fraud-department-fake-calls/

But not everybody might be aware of it, so just giving a heads up here.

In my case, I pressed 1 and the line immediately went dead. I'm wondering if I'll receive a call from the 'Visa fraud department' in the near future.
    Got the same call but from number : 0061455962

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

gryff wrote: »
    Got the same call but from number : 0061455962

similar here from 0061383361

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Myself and the missus got missed calls this week, numbers are nowhere near similar. Both calls came from Puerto Rico by googling the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Might not be a Limerick number then obviously, I just saw the 061 on my phone (and the rest of the number is only six digits too) and assumed it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and what happens when you phone that number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

0061 is not Limerick but it would be easy to think it was.

Advertisement