Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Nolan give 1 year to guilty pedo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    This woman should be getting a custodial sentence.
    Keep up at the rear :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

muffler wrote: »
    Keep up at the rear :p

I know she has one. I'm saying its deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

argentum wrote: »
    I have to be honest its a very bad decision. A few weeks ago a man got a suspended sentence for having videos of child sexual abuse and in my mind that's the worst crime and that he is a pedo and not her.
    I honestly think that she made a major error and genuinely thought 16 was the age of consent and in fairness to her she waited until then.
    He was also in an over 18's nightclub which may have clouded her judgement
    I would hold the same view if it was a male teacher and a female student and I'm also of the view that most 16 yr old boys would want to have sex if they could and not be traumatized for life if this did happen to them.
    When I was a 16 yr old if I managed to have sex with a woman I would have kept it quiet and not bragged about it
    She should have got a suspended sentence in my opinion and her life is now ruined …. I don't believe his is and its more a case of waiting to sue the school

You're right - she made a major error.

She had sex with a child.

She's a paedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sweet Baby Jesus, some of the attitudes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes because everything in life is black and white.

WTF? Can we get this guy in some of register?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Age of consent should be 22 for girls.

Anyone has sex with a girl under 22 he gets a flogging.

That is incidentally the law in Bahrain. This makes sense as otherwise you could have sicko 70 year olds having it off with 20 year olds.
    A 30 year old going after a 16 year old is preying on that 16 year old

I'm delighted to know that a 31 year old going after a 17 year old isn't preying on them. I'm also glad that our exceptionally high age of consent has prevented sexual abuse from happening in this country.

... I'm also glad that our exceptionally high age of consent has prevented sexual abuse from happening in this country.
    Your point being that lowering the age would be a good thing? As that would prevent sexual abuse? :confused:

Interesting. You don't work for the Garda statistics team by any chance? They've similar novel ways of reducing crime figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

Remarkable line from Nolan "I do believe you mistakenly thought the age of consent was 16". Not a chance she could have thought this.

People calling her a 'paedophile' need to educate themselves. A term which is bandied about all to lightly these days by ignorant Facebook type SJWs.

People calling her a 'paedophile' need to educate themselves. ...
    Meh I understand the literal meaning, but I'm happy using it in this instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Screenshot-2019-11-01-Martin-Nolan-give-1-year-to-guilty-pedo.png

spot on.

If it was the other way around you would be slated for defending a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 tommyled1984

I think our laws need to be changed. For a start I think many of us know of a student who had sex with a teacher. I know of a few which include both male and female students. For those who don't, look at the president of France who was 15 and had sex with his 39year old teacher. To put some perspective on it, he was a year younger than the boy in Ireland and the age gap was 24yrs which was the age of the teacher in Ireland. And, the French president is now happily married to that teacher today.
    There is one big factor which had a huge influence in this happening and it has been brushed under the carpet. The 24yr old teacher first met the 16yr old student in an over 18s premises. I don't know the details but I'm assuming thats where they hit it off. She may not have known he was a student at that point and most likely she broke the law that night. His parents knowingly allowed him go out to engage in over 18s activities where he met the girl but are now not happy that he consented to an activity that required him to be 17..Are they looking for a big pay out?
    If we had strict age card requirements this probably would never have happened.
    Another point I'd make is this teacher was only 24years old, although an adult at 18 I think it takes many of us a lot longer to mature fully and be responsible adults. I know I was in my late 20s before I reached this stage. She was 24, probably a year out of the education system herself where she would have lived the college lifestyle for 4 years which should be self explanatory.
    There have been images of this girl leaked on social media and I can tell you she is probably the most attractive sex offender on the planet. I don't believe she should be labelled this. I feel sorry for the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think our laws need to be changed. For a start I think many of us know of a student who had sex with a teacher. I know of a few which include both male and female students. For those who don't, look at the president of France who was 15 and had sex with his 39year old teacher. To put some perspective on it, he was a year younger than the boy in Ireland and the age gap was 24yrs which was the age of the teacher in Ireland. And, the French president is now happily married to that teacher today.
    There is one big factor which had a huge influence in this happening and it has been brushed under the carpet. The 24yr old teacher first met the 16yr old student in an over 18s premises. I don't know the details but I'm assuming thats where they hit it off. She may not have known he was a student at that point and most likely she broke the law that night. His parents knowingly allowed him go out to engage in over 18s activities where he met the girl but are now not happy that he consented to an activity that required him to be 17..Are they looking for a big pay out?
    If we had strict age card requirements this probably would never have happened.
    Another point I'd make is this teacher was only 24years old, although an adult at 18 I think it takes many of us a lot longer to mature fully and be responsible adults. I know I was in my late 20s before I reached this stage. She was 24, probably a year out of the education system herself where she would have lived the college lifestyle for 4 years which should be self explanatory.
    There have been images of this girl leaked on social media and I can tell you she is probably the most attractive sex offender on the planet. I don't believe she should be labelled this. I feel sorry for the girl.

Some very good and nuanced points. One wonders what was achieved by hauling her through the courts and jailing her. Looking at the dates, this guy is nearly 19 now and probably at university. It all seems a bit pointless making a huge song and dance about it and throwing the book at her. She had already been sacked and could never have worked as a teacher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Strazdas wrote: »
    Some very good and nuanced points. One wonders what was achieved by hauling her through the courts and jailing her. Looking at the dates, this guy is nearly 19 now and probably at university. It all seems a bit pointless making a huge song and dance about it and throwing the book at her. She had already been sacked and could never have worked as a teacher again.

The self-righteous have been satisfied, although a few of them obviously want more retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The self-righteous have been satisfied, although a few of them obviously want more retribution.

Jesus H.

She shagged a kid for jays is sake. Its also statutory rape.

If the genders were reversed there'd be absolute uproar - throw away the key, cut off his flute, paedophile etc.

Self righteous me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Keyzer wrote: »
    Jesus H.

If the genders were reversed there'd be absolute uproar - throw away the key, cut off his flute, paedophile etc.

Self righteous me hole.

Yes the self-righteous love to portray themselves as defenders of female innocence.

I know it's a struggle to get equally poutraged over some front-row forward in the school rugby team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Another point I'd make is this teacher was only 24years old, although an adult at 18 I think it takes many of us a lot longer to mature fully and be responsible adults.

I wonder would you be so understanding if a 24 year old man was shagging your 16 year old daughter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I was teaching 15/16 year old boys when I was 22/23. I always viewed them as children! It makes my skin crawl that people are defending this woman.
    She had to have sat through numerous lectures on child protection in college.

Its impossible that she was unaware that snapchatting a 15 year old student of hers was wrong.. not to even mention everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

WTF? Can we get this guy in some of register?

He didn't do anything illegal. The laws are not the same everywhere.

I wonder would you be so understanding if a 24 year old man was shagging your 16 year old daughter ?

Or an 18 year old man shagging the 16 year old daughter, or indeed even a 16 year old lad shagging with the 16 year old daughter. By golly he should be on the sex offenders list and he would be too if a complaint were to be made by the father. That's an important bit - the daughter's opinion really has very little importance here.

Back in my day a lad would be lynched for knocking up a dizzy little lass without first putting a ring on her finger!

Contraception. That's a second way that Northern Ireland was more progressive that us in relation to sex. Remember the women getting arrested for smuggling in contraceptives in the 70s? They should have been ashamed of themselves.

Neocortex wrote: »
    Why do you think the attractiveness of the sex offender is relevant? Would she deserve more time behind bars if she were ugly?

It makes it more likely that he wasn't exactly strong armed into having sex. Don't get me wrong, the fact that she was his teacher made this 100% inappropriate. I know that secondary school teachers technically don't decide students' fate (until they introduce the idiotic continual assessment plan) but they can still influence how students perform in the leaving certificate, and it could be very awkward for the person in the weaker position (i.e. the student) when they can't exactly walk away from the institution without potentially massive consequences for their education.

But she could have been ugly as a mud fence, be 18, never taught him a day of her life, and the legality of it would be no different (though the sentencing may well be different).

Keyzer wrote: »
    Jesus H.

Self righteous me hole.

You mean there isn't absolute uproar here? You yourself have called her a paedophile. People here are clearly not content with her being on the sex offender list, being in jail for a year, have a 2 year suspended sentence, losing their job and livelihood (she will never work as a teacher again). I suspect that if she killed herself you'd have some people saying 'good riddance to one less pedo'.

But you are right, nobody has called for her flute to be cut off, that much is true. Doesn't stop you from being a hypocrite though.
    I was teaching 15/16 year old boys when I was 22/23. I always viewed them as children!

So if 16 year old are children, does that make 22 year olds adolescents? By the way, congratulations for having that much maturity at so young an age to teach people just 6 years your junior ('back in my day when I did my leaving cert, that is, 4 years ago..')

I suspect that the lens is changing from seeing 16/17 year olds people as being on the cusp of adulthood to rather infantalizing those in their early 20s. We already hear people in their early 20s being called 'kids', and universities (particularly in the US, but it's starting here) treating young adults as if they are little children. Soon it will probably be seen as genuinely inappropriate for 22/23 year old to be teaching secondary students on the basis that they are not mature enough to do so. You could even point to this case as being evidence of this.

How dare the state place somebody of 23 in such a position of responsibility when they clearly weren't ready for it? :rolleyes: Christ I fear we are not a million miles off from that line being a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Anyone got a pic of her? Link here if you do. The mods have said it's ok.

She is absolutely gorgeous... Better looking than any Irish model I’m aware of.... which is sad really as she could’ve had any man she wanted and she chose to ride what seems to be a little litigious boy instead and destroyed her life

You mean there isn't absolute uproar here? You yourself have called her a paedophile. People here are clearly not content with her being on the sex offender list, being in jail for a year, have a 2 year suspended sentence, losing their job and livelihood (she will never work as a teacher again). I suspect that if she killed herself you'd have some people saying 'good riddance to one less pedo'.

But you are right, nobody has called for her flute to be cut off, that much is true. Doesn't stop you from being a hypocrite though.

I think what he meant was that there would be nobody excusing this poor teacher who lost their job for ****ing an underage child if the genders were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was teaching 15/16 year old boys when I was 22/23. I always viewed them as children! It makes my skin crawl that people are defending this woman.
    She had to have sat through numerous lectures on child protection in college.

Its impossible that she was unaware that snapchatting a 15 year old student of hers was wrong.. not to even mention everything else!

I think two different issues are getting conflated here. Everyone can agree that a sexual relationship between a teacher and a secondary school student is inappropriate and wrong and it was right that she was sacked on the spot and disbarred from teaching again.

That it should end up with a court case and prison sentence is a different matter though. I think it's rather excessive....she had already been humiliated by being fired and her family and friends becoming aware of what had happened and what she had done.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think two different issues are getting conflated here. Everyone can agree that a sexual relationship between a teacher and a secondary school student is inappropriate and wrong and it was right that she was sacked on the spot and disbarred from teaching again.

That it should end up with a court case and prison sentence is a different matter though. I think it's rather excessive....she had already been humiliated by being fired and her family and friends becoming aware of what had happened and what she had done.

I think you are conflating two issues.

What she did was wrong professionally

What she did was groom a 15 year old and had sex with him while he was still underage. This is illegal and regardless of your gender, being embarrassed and getting fired sounds like the punishment for photocopying your arse at the work Xmas party, not for grooming and having sex with someone you know is a child.

I think what he meant was that there would be nobody excusing this poor teacher who lost their job for ****ing an underage child if the genders were reversed.

I don't think anyone is excusing her actions just because we think punishment is harsh. I also mentioned at least two examples where genders were reversed and I didn't loose the rag. I also know couple of examples where I thought prison sentence was warranted for different reasons.

I think some outrage in this thread us because some men feel under attack from #metoo and similar and they are milking and exaggerating this because perpetrator is woman.

I don't think anyone is excusing her actions just because we think punishment is harsh. I also mentioned at least two examples where genders were reversed and I didn't loose the rag. I also know couple of examples where I thought prison sentence was warranted for different reasons.

I think some outrage in this thread us because some men feel under attack from #metoo and similar and they are milking and exaggerating this because perpetrator is woman. Knock yourself out.

You may think that, but if it was a man, I would think the sentence was too lenient too.

There just wouldn't be as many (or any) people defending the man.

You may think that, but if it was a man, I would think the sentence was too lenient too.

There just wouldn't be as many (or any) people defending the man.

And here you are comparing what would happen if it was a man and providing zero evidence how you came to your conclusion. And you are telling me it's not about men and their feelings of perceived injustice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Heard a couple of women talking about the case in work today, the general consensus was 'he knew what he was doing'. As in the teacher was 'foolish' but 16 year old boy was to really to blame.

Now imagine if the genders were the other way around!!!

I have a suspicion they might be saying the same if the genders were reversed. Sure, I'm pretty sure women of the past did say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

And here you are comparing what would happen if it was a man and providing zero evidence how you came to your conclusion. And you are telling me it's not about men and their feelings of perceived injustice.

I dunno Meeeh, I have noticed women being far more lenient than they would on the reverse in regards to this thread.

It's kind of reminding me of the Cyprus false rape case where a suprising amount of women are supporting her. (It's pretty much an open and shut false allegation imo)

• Advertisement

I dunno Meeeh, I have noticed women being far more lenient than they would on the reverse in regards to this thread.

It's kind of reminding me of the Cyprus false rape case where a suprising amount of women are supporting her. (It's pretty much an open and shut false allegation imo)

As far as know the case isn't closed yet so what you or I think is completely irrelevant (and I agree with you that she probably lied).

Advertisement