Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Nolan give 1 year to guilty pedo.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I wonder why she can't be named/shown. Men usually don't get that luxury.

The always do unless the victim wants to give up the right to anonymity.

Also for the idea that young lads get a pat on the back (and women get away with it), do you think that's women who created that? Is it f***.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gerry Hannon

Women have to put up with so much in this society already now you want to pile more on them by expecting them to follow every single law !?
    Our society is turning into the handmaids tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

muffler wrote: »
    This lads mother made a big issue of it when she found out and rightfully so but where was she when her 15 year old child was in a night club?

Absolutely

This is the first thing I thought.
    15 and in an over 18's night club.

Sh!t parents... And then they go mental when something like this happens.

Here's another way to put:
    How many girls at or over the age of 17 had he slept with as a 15 year that looks old enough to get into an 18's nightclub.

I'd nearly guarantee she didn't pop his cherry.

A year sentence is harsh, her life is already wrecked. His life can continue on as normal having "Bedded" the sexy substitute teacher.

Should have been fully suspended, her life would still be wrecked anyway.

Note also: she is NOT a Peado, she doesn't fancy kids. She fancied a lad who looked 18 or over.

The always do unless the victim wants to give up the right to anonymity.

Also for the idea that young lads get a pat on the back (and women get away with it), do you think that's women who created that? Is it f***.

Fair enough. I just wondered.

Ah now, I already got "given out to" for my crusade against women (?) but seriously, you are going to say that the reason women get more lenient sentences is because of men?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Absolutely

Sh!t parents... And then they go mental when something like this happens.

Here's another way to put:
    How many girls at or over the age of 17 had he slept with as a 15 year that looks old enough to get into an 18's nightclub.

I'd nearly guarantee she didn't pop his cherry.

A year sentence is harsh, her life is already wrecked. His life can continue on as normal having "Bedded" the sexy substitute teacher.

Should have been fully suspended, her life would still be wrecked anyway.

Note also: she is NOT a Peado, she doesn't fancy kids. She fancied a lad who looked 18 or over.

Again, she knew he was 15. She waited till his 16th birthday to sleep with him as she thought that was the age of consent. Him looking like a 18 year old in a night club has nothing to do with this

Did you even read the article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Paedo means child. I think we are past the point of things meaning what they are supposed to mean.

Fair enough. I just wondered.

Ah now, I already got "given out to" for my crusade against women (?) but seriously, you are going to say that the reason women get more lenient sentences is because of men?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

That's not my whole point, but yes.
    Who do you think has society thinking a young lad, a minor having sex with a teacher gets a pat on the back and is a legend? The lads.

latest?cb=20120907080722&path-prefix=es

Nice...

993dd7afc2e0121d10f7e8e242f69e112d25b5a3.jpg

Same mentality has arseholes thinking women in short skirts are asking for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wind your neck in. I asked a questions, someone answered and said the reason and I said that was fair enough.

Mostly, in cases like this, the man is named and plastered all over the newspapers. This woman wasn't. I was unaware it was to protect the victim.

Crusade against women? You don't know anything about me, but as a single father of a daughter, and after being raised by my sister and mother, I have nothing but respect for some woman. Just not all. In the same way I respect some men, but not all.

Get a grip.

‘Men don’t usually get that luxury’ wasn’t making this a men vs women thing was it not?

You made a baseless and stupid claim on the presumption that she isn’t being named because she’s a woman.

So she's not a peado because the kid she fancied looked older, fair enough...
    There's a cut off age for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

When I was his age I was hoping to be 'violated'. She should have got an award for creative sex ed. teaching.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Him looking like a 18 year old in a night club has nothing to do with this

Except that it does.
    He looked like an adult man.

We've all seen the pics of her, she's gorgeous. He's probably delighted he got to shag her (I would be).
    Put it this way... If he got the chance now as a 16 year old to shag some ultra sexy 24/25 year old would he do it? - Course he would
    Or if he could change the past would he? - Yes, he'd make sure he wasn't caught this time

Doesn't really sound like a victim in the grand scheme of things.
    siblers wrote: »
    Did you even read the article?

Yes, I read the entire article.

She should not have had a relationship with a student though.
    I know people this has happened to in both secondary school and college.

It was important to note that he was not groomed and the judge said she is very unlikely to re-offend.

She didn't "Go after him", it just happened.
    She was 23 at the time and did something very stupid. we were all thick as bricks in our early twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In most countries in Europe, this would not be a legal issue. It would purely be disciplinary (she'd probably be sacked for having an inappropriate relationship with a student and that would be the end of the matter).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My parents were the strictest in the village. We still managed to sneak out and into over 18s clubs and get pissed. So did most of our friends. We all had some form of fake ID's. Kids these days are no different.

As a teacher she would have had specific child protection and safeguarding training - more than a lot of adults who still would steer well clear of a kid they knew to be 15 in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Paedo means child. I think we are past the point of things meaning what they are supposed to mean.

Actually it technically means an attraction to a pre-pubescent child. This is a situation of ephebophilia.

Just read that now...
    Except that it does.
    He She looked like an adult man Woman.

We've all seen the pics of her him, she's he's gorgeous. He's She's probably delighted he she got to shag her him (I would be).
    Put it this way... If he she got the chance now as a 16 year old to shag some ultra sexy 24/25 year old would he she do it? - Course he she would
    Or if he she could change the past would he she? - Yes, he'd she'd make sure he she wasn't caught this time

Doesn't really sound like a victim in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I read the entire article.

She He should not have had a relationship with a student though.
    I know people this has happened to in both secondary school and college.

It was important to note that he she was not groomed and the judge said she he is very unlikely to re-offend.

She He didn't "Go after him", it just happened.
    She He was 23 at the time and did something very stupid. we were all thick as bricks in our early twenties.

If if's and but's....
    She did groom him. She bought him presents ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I see the charge was "defilement of a child".

And that should be the end of the rape chatter in the thread.

He was couched by his teacher and now he's being coached by his Mum with a view to a big pay day €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€.

alastair wrote: »
    Actually it technically means an attraction to a pre-pubescent child. This is a situation of ephebophilia.

Paedo literally means child. That is the meaning. Paedophile means someone who loves children. Francophile means someone who loves french things. Necrophile means someone who loves dead things. In the first and third case the meaning of love is distinctly in a sexual sense. Outside of that all the definitions are legal. So here she's a 'paedo' but in France, Spain, Italy, etc. she wouldn't be, because of our specific legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Gatling wrote: »
    Joke sentence this is a woman who is a qualified teacher and Very well aware of child protection ,
    If it was a male teacher they would have seen a multiple year sentence

Not in front of Nolan, he'd have probably had the entire sentence suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Paedo literally means child. That is the meaning. Paedophile means someone who loves children. Francophile means someone who loves french things. Necrophile means someone who loves dead things. In the first and third case the meaning of love is distinctly in a sexual sense. Outside of that all the definitions are legal. So here she's a 'paedo' but in France, Spain, Italy, etc. she wouldn't be, because of our specific legal system.

Paedophilia is a technical Psychiatric term - which, whatever it’s Greek basis, defines the specific child as being pre-pubescent, irrespective of the age of consent at play in the legal jurisdiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

All I got for my 16th birthday was a bike

Just read that now...
    If if's and but's....
    She did groom him. She bought him presents ffs.

Listen buddy, if you think Man = Woman you've a lot to learn.... like a hell of a lot.

We have equal rights, but we are not the same.

I understand the point you're trying to make in that there is punishment based on the law for men and a more lenient punishment based on the law for women.

The thing is the world isn't like that. Young women 15-19 are far less sexually driven than young men of the same age group.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

keng66 wrote: »
    All I got for my 16th birthday was a bike

so did he

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thread title is inaccurate.

But at the end of the day, she brought this on her self. So yellow for stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I know of 3 different cases of this happening in my school - it must be common enough.

Faugheen wrote: »
    ‘Men don’t usually get that luxury’ wasn’t making this a men vs women thing was it not?

You made a baseless and stupid claim on the presumption that she isn’t being named because she’s a woman.

Calm down there deary.

Usually, the man is named. I have been made aware now that this is because the victims usually waive their right to anonymity. That is fair enough.

I wondered if there was any other reason (i.e it wasn't technically rape etc) but I have been told (on numerous occasions) that it was to protect the identity of the victim.

There would be no need for me to turn this into a man vs woman thing. It's already patently clear that a woman gets a more lenient sentence and less of a stigma for having sex with a child.

The law's an ass. "defilement of a child" what a load of bs.

alastair wrote: »
    Paedophilia is a technical Psychiatric term - which, whatever it’s Greek basis, defines the specific child as being pre-pubescent, irrespective of the age of consent at play in the legal jurisdiction.

Oh actually that's true, yes, there is a psychiatric definition that is as you describe. It is also infinitely more useful than saying that an 18 year old sleeping with a 16 year old is a paedophile, though the law would actually disagree here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

1 year for the worst crimes against the child....yet 6 years for improper garlic importation

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    1 year for the worst crimes against the child....yet 6 years for improper garlic importation

I think nothing less than execution was merited in both cases.

Advertisement