Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Nolan give 1 year to guilty pedo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

argentum wrote: »
    I have to be honest its a very bad decision. A few weeks ago a man got a suspended sentence for having videos of child sexual abuse and in my mind that's the worst crime and that he is a pedo and not her.
    I honestly think that she made a major error and genuinely thought 16 was the age of consent and in fairness to her she waited until then.
    He was also in an over 18's nightclub which may have clouded her judgement
    I would hold the same view if it was a male teacher and a female student and I'm also of the view that most 16 yr old boys would want to have sex if they could and not be traumatized for life if this did happen to them.
    When I was a 16 yr old if I managed to have sex with a woman I would have kept it quiet and not bragged about it
    She should have got a suspended sentence in my opinion and her life is now ruined …. I don't believe his is and its more a case of waiting to sue the school

She groomed him when he was 15

Maybe the crippling anxiety and migraines come from the 15 year old drinking alcohol in a nightclub (which was probably over 21s).

Perhaps the parents should be prosecuted for child abuse?

Oh the strawman.
    It has no bearing, she actively knew his age

If it's OK for Brigitte Trogneux who was 39 when she met Emanuel Macron when he was 15 and taking part in a school play she was directing then it's OK by me.

Wow! to you too.

Then move to France, this is Ireland.
    She knew what she was doing was wrong. Which is why she "waited"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Age bands don't really work. You have an age of consent and leave it at that.

It looks like some European countries have age bands for sex below the age of 16. For instance I think Italy might have an age of consent of 14, but it raises to 16 if it is with an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

She groomed him when he was 15

Like Brigitte 'groomed' Emanuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Oh the strawman.
    It has no bearing, she actively knew his age

Of course she knew his age. Irrelevant to my point.
    The law has taken care of her. She's in jail.

If he's going looking for compensation then the point I'm making is if the 16 YO is regularly visiting night clubs and drinking alcohol in them then this is also illegal.
    In fact it is a form of neglect and neglect is legally a form of child abuse.

It looks like some European countries have age bands for sex below the age of 16. For instance I think Italy might have an age of consent of 14, but it raises to 16 if it is with an adult.

And that seems perfectly sensible.

Yes maybe I should to get away from the Legion of Mary attitudes that still persist in so-called liberal Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

She waited cause she thought 16 was the legal age of consent . She was wrong .As his teacher it would have been wrong anyway . But it excuses her a small bit in my opinion. -

Yes maybe I should to get away from the Legion of Mary attitudes that still persist in so-called liberal Ireland.

Thumbs.Up_-503x300.jpg

• Advertisement

On one hand you say that it is right to question the legislation, but you constantly use the legislation as a go-to to determine what is right. You can't simultaneously say that it is flawed and that we should be guided by it.

The law in Ireland states that people under 17 cannot consent to sex, and this country is actually really out-of-the-norm with that. I would go so far as to say the law verges on ridiculous as there are clearly teens under the age of 17 engaging in sex. The law is also biased because it states that male teens alone can be convicted. This was the law that the teacher was prosecuted under, not for grooming him, not for being his teacher. It was because he was not 17. If we are going to go into the local, legal definition, which is what you are always wanting to do, then that is it.

Then move to France, this is Ireland

No need to move to France.
    Just change the law.

At present there is a homosexual taoiseach and another gay cabinet minister.
    When they were young carrying out homosexual acts was a criminal offence.

If he's going looking for compensation then the point I'm making is if the 16 YO is regularly visiting night clubs and drinking alcohol in them then this is also illegal.
    In fact it is a form of neglect and neglect is legally a form of child abuse.

But it has no bearing whatsoever in this case.
    Hands up who here lied to their parents, when between 15-18, and went drinking when their parents thought that they were elsewhere?

This is a societal problem, for Ireland as a whole, and really is not an issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

One of my schoolmates started dating her 30 years old volleyball coach when she was 16. They stayed together 2 or 3 years. It felt a bit iffy but at that age she was already through years of father's drinking and his eventual suicide. She was way more mature than the rest of the class and she was never going to date someone her age.

No need to move to France.
    Just change the law.

At present there is a homosexual taoiseach and another gay cabinet minister.
    When they were young carrying out homosexual acts was a criminal offence.

We have an age of consent at 17, ad in Romeo and Juliette age banding for peers and 17 is fine.

No one at 23 years of age has any reason to want to fvck a 15 year old (pupil or no).

But it has no bearing whatsoever in this case.
    Hands up who here lied to their parents, when between 15-18, and went drinking when their parents thought that they were elsewhere?

This is a societal problem, for Ireland as a whole, and really is not an issue here.

This case is over.
    I was answering a question to someone querying if his family might go looking for compensation.

We have a serious compo culture in Ireland.

meeeeh wrote: »
    One of my schoolmates started dating her 30 years old volleyball coach when she was 16. They stayed together 2 or 3 years. It felt a bit iffy but at that age she was already through years of father's drinking and his eventual suicide. She was way more mature than the rest of the class and she was never going to date someone her age.

Mature or damaged/vulnerable?

FFS, people condone this?

This case is over.
    I was answering a question to someone querying if his family might go looking for compensation.

Then it is another thread because it is being thrown out there to deflect from her actions and painting the victim in a bad light.

We have an age of consent at 17, ad in Romeo and Juliette age banding for peers and 17 is fine.

No one at 23 years of age has any reason to want to fvck a 15 year old (pupil or no).

There's no Romeo & Juliet law in Ireland.

Two 16 year olds having sex is a criminal offence in Ireland and perfectly legal in pretty much every other democratic country across the world.

Only in tinpot dictatorships & banana Republics (like this one) is the age of consent 17 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

meeeeh wrote: »

He should've been hanged.

• Advertisement

Imagine giving people a right over their own bodies and the capacity to choose who they have relationships with. As the Oireachtas report states (which comes from this country by the way) the notion of saying that people are children until he moment of them becoming 18 is not sensible, nor is it reflected in law in many capacities. We allow someone of 16 to decide that they want to be employed, drop out of school, or drive a heavy vehicle on the road that can kill, but we do not give them the capacity to give consent? As the Oireachtas report states, that seems a little bit odd. It is also odd that we have two different laws on the same island.

This case is over.

That's what I thought when I read the statement.

There's no Romeo & Juliet law in Ireland.

Two 16 year olds having sex is a criminal offence in Ireland and perfectly legal in pretty much every other democratic country across the world.

Only in tinpot dictatorships & banana Republics (like this one) is the age of consent 17 or higher.

Did I miss where I say "ad in Romeo and Juliette age banding for peers and 17 is fine" and earlier where I said that 15 should be the starting age for that banding?

Imagine giving people a right over their own bodies and the capacity to choose who they have relationships with. As the Oireachtas report states (which comes from this country by the way) the notion of saying that people are children until he moment of them becoming 18 is not sensible, nor is it reflected in law in many capacities. We allow someone of 16 to decide that they want to be employed, drop out of school, or drive a heavy vehicle on the road that can kill, but we do not give them the capacity to give consent? As the Oireachtas report states, that seems a little bit odd. It is also odd that we have two different laws on the same island.

A 30 year old going after a 16 year old is preying on that 16 year old

That's a good point.

Imagine two 16 YOs living right on the border where some houses have a room in the ROI and another room in NI [there are such houses . . . believe it or not]

If they have sex in one room they are committing a criminal offence liable to possible prison sentences whereas if they have sex in the other room it's all perfectly legal.

Utterly daft.

Or if they have sex in one house it's legal and jump over the wall to the next door neighbour and have sex in their house then it's illegal.

That's the sort of idiot legislators we have in Ireland.

Age of consent should be 22 for girls.

Anyone has sex with a girl under 22 he gets a flogging.

That's a good point.

Imagine two 16 YOs living right on the border where some houses have a room in the ROI and another room in NI [there are such houses . . . believe it or not]

If they have sex in one room they are committing a criminal offence liable to possible prison sentences whereas if they have sex in the other room it's all perfectly legal.

Utterly daft.

Or if they have sex in one house it's legal and jump over the wall to the next door neighbour and have sex in their house then it's illegal.

That's the sort of idiot legislators we have in Ireland.

It's not a matter of condoning anything. There's lots of behaviour that's legal but I might see as unwise, stupid or irresponsible. Sex is happening between vulnerable and mature people that has an element of exploitation. Un-equal sexual partnerships are just one of the real facts of life. Parents should parent and lead by example.

The law in Ireland needs to stop being an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

A 30 year old going after a 16 year old is preying on that 16 year old

Yes because everything in life is black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Regardless of the age of consent, a sexual relationship between a teacher and student is wrong. This woman should be getting a custodial sentence. She had to have known what she was doing was wrong. Messaging a student at 15?? Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Listening to the victims impact statement. A long list of crippling anxiety and migraines. It all sounded a bit manufactured.

Is this the parents angling for major compensation.

Maybe the parents are sh!t parents who are angling now for a nice compo. But they wouldn't have had any opportunity to pursue that avenue if the teacher had stuck to doing her job and remembered some of her child protection training. Or maybe they are genuinely concerned and have struggled with common teen behaviours such as school refusal and acting out and this was something that he is genuinely fcuked up about and they want the money to pay for private mental health support given our public services are crap. Nobody knows.

At the heart of this is a kid - one who probably thinks he's all grown up and mature but is still a kid. We all had hot sub teachers. One English sub teacher was gorgeous when we were 16 and we all fancied him. The difference was that he was mature and professional enough to immediately shut down our ham-fisted juvenile attempts at flirtation and ensured that he was never in a compromising position with any of us because we were idiots who mostly needed saving from ourselves.

The onus is on the adult to ensure they are not sleeping with a person who is under the legal age of consent. When I was 23 anyone who was 15/16 were utter kids. Anyone who was interested in teens still in school were regarded as someone to who was a weirdo best avoided.

In this case she knowingly pursued the boy who was under age. I don't buy the claim that she thought 16 was a legal age here when all she had to do was stop snap chatting him for 2 seconds and google it.

Advertisement