Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Soccer" forum and thanks

Options
  • 31-10-2019 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to put this, Help Desk seems a bit dramatic.

There's a fella named Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy who is either a re-reg (Pilsbury Doughboy closed his account in 2015) or a troll of some type. He isn't able to post in the soccer forum as he has not met the criteria to seek an application having posted just once since his join date of 9/10/19. However he sure does like to thank and clearly in such a way as to indicate a certain bias - not big into Liverpool posters it's fair to say. So I'm wondering why someone not allowed to post should nonetheless have the freedom to make their presence known through the use of thanks.

Surely if you ain't in, you ain't in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

What is it with you lads and your obsession with who thanks posts? If it was one or two people being troubled by it one could pass it off but there are multiple instances over the last 12 months of different liverpool fans getting triggered over it. Ye essentially have the run of the forum anyway and now ye want to dictate who can and cannot thank posts, good lord.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is user (and indeed forum) specific, and hence suited to Help Desk and not sitewide feedback

Either way though the thanks function is only disabled when banned from a forum. As already mentioned by Jurgen the German, I also cannot understand this obsession with who thanks who ion the forum. I know many posters go out of their way to find things to be offended by in that particular forum, but really? Who cares??

If you think someone is trolling, report them. Of course if the user is just thanking posts and has never actually posted in the forum, regardless of who you think he may have been in any past existence, getting wound up by thanking is, frankly, absurd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I actually read that in Bercow's voice.

Yes he is a troll but getting a little more savvy - he's starting to thank posts that are essentially neutral. I really think you're setting yourelf up for more bother in the future by the way. If inventing Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy is deemed a successful ploy on the soccer forum they'll be more like him.

As an aside Jurgens post was thanked about half a dozen times (they seem to have got detached by moving the thread) and thanks by all the usual Man Utd suspects other than Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy (when I last saw) ironically. So it would appear that they are all keeping each other in a loop which is nice.

There are ways of playing the forum system and it's being played. I'll bet you your avatar that you'll never see Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy post in the soccer forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alas my accent is closer to the Deputy Speaker than John Bercow's

The account in question is now sitebanned as I am aware of a second account being run by the same user, which contravenes site rules

And yes, there's no thanks in this forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yes he is a troll but getting a little more savvy - he's starting to thank posts that are essentially neutral. I really think you're setting yourelf up for more bother in the future by the way. If inventing Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy is deemed a successful ploy on the soccer forum they'll be more like him.

As an aside Jurgens post was thanked about half a dozen times (they seem to have got detached by moving the thread) and thanks by all the usual Man Utd suspects other than Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy (when I last saw) ironically. So it would appear that they are all keeping each other in a loop which is nice.

There are ways of playing the forum system and it's being played. I'll bet you your avatar that you'll never see Potentially Pilsbury Doughboy post in the soccer forum.

What do you mean “all the usual Man Utd suspects” ?

I thanked the post because it addressed what was a bit of a nonsense post by you tbh.

• Advertisement

I just hope people reading this thread can perhaps start to understand how petty the Soccer Forum can be with posters looking to take offence, but only usually from posters they know support the "other" team......

Have a read from #2758

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058020990&page=92

and you can see where the forum is heading unless things are taken in hand.

Have a read from #2758

That link is no longer relevant as the local mods have actually been cleaning the thread up (I would guess upwards of 80 posts have been deleted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Are you really that blinded by your LFC goggles Harry? PPD is not thanking posts that are anti lfc, he is thanking posts, every post, made by particular posters, myself included, regardless of content, funnily enough, there have been a couple of posts of mine that he didnt thank that could be taken as been less than glowing about LFC.

The name PPD is very obviously trying to needle potential Underachiever whose last account was pilsbury doughboy. PD went out in a blaze of glory, calling out some people by name on thread. When he re-regged he was needled, goaded and outright bullied by these people, ably abetted by other regulars.

Then lately, "new" poster <snip> developed a bizarre white knight horn for a few posters, posters that had significant issues with PU, and he proceeded to run to their defense at any opportunity.

Strangely enough, the emergence of PPD coincides with a two week forum ban that <snip> got. I'm sure they are unrelated though.

I'd be fairly confident that PPD is an LFC fan thanking posts by United fans as he thinks it causes normal people as much consternation as it does so many lfc fans, here's the scoop, it doesn't, it really doesn't, because it's the bloody internet.

A more pressing matter would he the consistent name checking / accusing of multi accounting of t-hanks / mick. Many of ye boys are utterly obsessed with him and what he does. Give the devil his due, he has never been anything but up front about his feelings when it comes to LFC, many of your own cohort conduct themselves in the exact same way yet the holier than though schtick is trowelled on with frightening regularity. I've reported a number of these posts and quel surprise no action was taken, maybe now that an admins attention is drawn to it something might actually change.

Enjoy your sunday and dont be getting yourself in a doodah over the fookin thanks button.

:D

Jurgen

You will see I have removed the username you identified as potentially problematical. I am now aware of that concern, but at this stage am not seeing anything to raise my own concerns. I will though try to keep an eye on that situation. I am presently spending a lot of time on other areas of the site and have not been able to spend much time in the SF over recent months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Again Beasty this is a Major problem as there seems to be only one active mod in the soccer forums, where are all the mods gone? You don't concentrate as much on the SF anymore but then again no one does.

Thanks for the fish seems to be the only mod that's around at moment "regularly" but that just leaves it open to the infamous missing things excuse.. DFX has been doing a bit of work of late but I doubt he is an avid follower of all football threads.

Am I right in thinking there has been a few mods stand down and don't seem to be any new mods?

There are posters in soccer forums calling people trolls, **** and all sorts and getting away with it... The level of cross thread baiting has reached an all time high. Place is just laughable.

Again even bangkok yesterday ignored a thread ban by yourself and post on the united thread which was later deleted I guess before any mod could see it...

Regular posters are been carded for calling out stuff but when they report stuff it's been ignored so how does anyone try help improve the place?? What is the actual line of action to take? Just step away and leave it to be taken over by the very people that are ruining it.

Place is gone so petty and childish and been allowed go that way because so much stuff is been ignored it's probably not even worth the hassle of been taken serious as a place for a decent debate anymore it's gone so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Have a read from #2758

Why were posts regarding the spam pm's were cleaned up for derailing the Man Utd thread yet complaining about "thanks" for pages in the Liverpool thread is allowed?

Where is any form of consistency :pac:

Please note that posts identifying specific accounts as potentially causing problems are not being approved. In some cases the accounts have been dealt with as considered appropriate

Grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement