Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

We get claims from a very small amount of Syrians. The majority are Georgian, Albanian and Nigerian. You know this though.

Source? Stats for this? Im intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Growing number of Muslims
    There were 63,443 Muslims in Ireland in April 2016, up from 49,204 (+28.9%) five years previously. Some 16,364 (25.8%) of all Muslims were aged between 5 and 18 years old. More than 4 in 10 (43.5%) of all of Ireland's Muslims lived in Dublin city and suburbs.

https://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pressreleases/2017pressreleases/pressstatementcensus2016resultsprofile8-irishtravellersethnicityandreligion/

Going to take quite a while to reach the 500,000 figure I would think

About 45 years from now at the current growth rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That social democrat one got leave to remain in the country after the elections

Which is another reason why the current system cannot be trusted. Lie like that while trying to go into political office and then be rewarded for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

IPO Applications 1st 6mths of 2019. Syria doesn't even get a slice of the pie {less than 5%}, thus dumped in with 'other' mixed classification. Most are Albania, Georgia, Zim, S.Afr, Nigeria etc

62Ce4QH.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Source is the govt. The stats were shown a few posts back and are available online.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

IPO Applications 1st 6mths of 2019. Syria doesn't even get a slice of the pie {less than 5%}, thus dumped in with 'other' mixed classification. Most are Albania, Georgia, Zim, S.Afr, Nigeria etc

We can't be having any facts exposed when it comes to "asylum" seekers though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Calhoun wrote: »
    Which is another reason why the current system cannot be trusted. Lie like that while trying to go into political office and then be rewarded for it.

It certainly was a strange case which I still can't get my head around due to the many contradictions

"So how do we look on the case of Ellie Kisyombe? She is a vibrant, cheerful, single mother from Malawi, who according to interviews, arrived in Dublin Airport in 2010 on a direct flight from Addis Ababa, claimed asylum and went straight into direct provision where she remains, vocally unhappy, nine years later.

Nine years on, her two children have joined her and she has become an energetic, public voice for DP reform. Banned from paid work, she co-founded a non-profit food project employing up to 20 paid staff. When asked why a decision on her status has taken so long, she says she does not know. But a shocking nine-year containment in DP raises legitimate questions for everyone. It suggests either callous incompetence by department officials or that Kisyombe’s ongoing case for asylum has fallen at several hurdles for unstated reasons.* Such is our delicacy in these matters, few people delved further.

A front page Sunday Times splash this week has suggested a more circuitous route to Ireland taken by Kisyombe. This account places her as a student in Bristol university between 2007 and 2010, then returning to Malawi before getting a student visa in Ireland, then applying for UK asylum. It also has her applying for Irish asylum a year later than stated, followed by a lengthy stay in the UK".

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/kathy-sheridan-do-the-contradictions-in-ellie-kisyombe-s-story-matter-1.3799397

Well her and two daughters now have leave to remain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

high_king wrote: »
    We can't be having any facts exposed when it comes to "asylum" seekers though

PC liberals who want open borders don't need facts, they use their emotions to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

3K3ICd2.png

Could you please link to the site who compiled that "data" please?

Banned from paid work, she co-founded a non-profit food project employing up to 20 paid staff.

sure every business is non profit when you take the profits out as expenses . . . what entrepreneurship.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Could you please link to the site who compiled that "data" please?
    The Pew Research Center is an independent, nonpartisan American think tank based in Washington, D.C. It provides information on social issues, public opinion, and demographic trends shaping the United States and the world.

Suppose you're going to call them all 'fake news'?

The Pew Research Center is an independent, nonpartisan American think tank based in Washington, D.C. It provides information on social issues, public opinion, and demographic trends shaping the United States and the world.

All the person is asking for is an actual link, not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Pew Research Center is an independent,

More likely it will be claimed they are white supremacists

All the person is asking for is an actual link, not difficult.
    From memory, they were supplied with this before, in another thread.
    https://www.pewforum.org/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/

Also, source for IPO (PDF): http://www.ipo.gov.ie/en/ipo/pages/statistics

September shows those 'war-torn' Albanians (note: 99.97% rejection rate for 2018), are still making nearly 1/4 of all applicants, and thus resources.
    Syria no longer features in any meaningful percentage. Overall September shows a total increase on last year of 42%, 60% when relocation applicants are excluded.

Heaven forbid the Albanian hoardes will breach our borders and dilute our 'pure' Milesian-Celtic-Viking-Norman-British ethnicity.

Heaven forbid the Albanian hoardes will breach our borders and dilute our 'pure' Milesian-Celtic-Viking-Norman-British ethnicity.
    Guess some folks^ like to joke about genuine cases in dire need having their opportunity and resources for aid, stolen from them.
    By folks who have a 99.97% rejection rate, i.e. Simple illegal economic migrants.

Maybe it's all fun and games to some, perhaps who stand to benefit fiscally from this growing industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

From memory, they were supplied with this before, in another thread.
    https://www.pewforum.org/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/

Where does it say Ireland will have a Muslim population of half a million by 2050?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Imagine having a say that could prevent abuse of the refugee process by economic migrants .

People actually having a say shocking idea.

Guess some folks^ like to joke about genuine cases in dire need having their opportunity and resources for aid, stolen from them.
    By folks who have a 99.97% rejection rate, i.e. Simple illegal economic migrants.

Maybe it's all fun and games to some, perhaps who stand to benefit fiscally from this growing industry.

Yes Im sure everyones anti-asylum seekers motivations here are purely altruistic.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Imagine having a say that could prevent abuse of the refugee process by economic migrants .
    Indeed, it would appear to be a joking matter to some.

Sure maybe they take the same feckless attitude to tax evasion, drink driving and so on, ah who knows for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not racist, not even in the slightest. I want accountable and a rigid system for immigration - asylum seekers, nothing to do with race so jog on.

Correct. In fact, people do not know what race any incoming asylum seeker will have until they arrive, so how people can have an issue with their race prior to their arrival is anyone's guess.

I have seen the situation in Achill, as I work in west Mayo, and the striking thing to me, is how the thing has been reported in the media, to what has actually happened. It is actually a bit of an eye-opener, particularly where the DOJ are concerned. There has been serious efforts to misrepresent and shame people, so that they can bully their will onto them.

Initially, people were told that up to 70, single, male asylum seekers, aged between 20 and 50 were to arrive the next morning. They were to arrive into a village with a population that was just over 70, (76 I believe was stated somewhere). (Why they felt the need to point out that they were single is anyone's guess). Of course people are going to have concerns when something like that is announced, and of course, some form of public meeting is going to be called in light of it - it is a 95% increase in population called for the next day. I actually think they were completely correct to eject the media also. All you have to do is look at the '13 vulnerable women' spiel in the media to see how justified their suspicions actually were. They want to create stories to sell papers. They want their story to be the best for personal gain. They are not anyone's friend. People are entitled to have a discussion about their community, without a national tv camera pointing in their face.

Since then, the DOJ has given the community conflicting information, which seems to be constantly changing. 70 reduced to 40, which changed to 38 split over 2 days, then it 13 vulnerable women came into it. The days they were to arrive has changed continuously and information seems to be deliberately drip fed, or has to be dragged out of them. Then a disingenuous media campaign. Throughout this they have delayed discussion and co-operation with the community.

Reading back over that, I actually sound like I am one of the protesters, but Im not, I actually believe that there is a place for asylum seekers in the area, like any area. Ok, they mightnt be set up for a sizeable number, but a reasonable amount could be happy there. But what I do see, is a community that has completely lost faith in the DOJ. Where every interaction with them seems designed to sneak things past rather than discuss them openly, and because of this, they have no trust in them or what they say.

Here are some of my observations from talking to people and observing the situation.
    1. There is no 'alt right outside influences' at play. These are just normal people who are just concerned and maybe a little frightened by something that seems ill thought out, yet not up for discussion, being forced into their community by people who know nothing about their community and whose motivations people have reservations over.
    2. There is far more support in the area for the concerned citizens, than there is for those in the welcome wagon.
    3. The biased media stuff is having a galvanising effect.
    4. The site is genuinely quite unsuitable, 2 miles to the nearest shop. 10 to the library/post office etc., 1 bus a day and very little police presence. Living in a place like this is a lifestyle choice.

Boggles wrote: »
    Where does it say Ireland will have a Muslim population of half a million by 2050?
    It doesn't, what a silly question.
    However Ireland is the EU and vice-versa. The EU (with freedom of movement) will likely have a muslim population of 57.9m by 2050.

Is the change from about 5% to 11% a natural increase for just 3 decades, or slightly unnatural 'doubling'. Of course, this will be much more when Turkey join.

not getting into the wider issues, there's little point (and both sides have handled it as badly as usual) but the idea that any one voice or viewpoint speaks for achill is absurd

achill is like anywhere, and in particular rural anywhere, and in particular rural ireland. two people in achill dont have a discussion, they have an argument. nobody serves as a monolith of achill opinion on any issue.

i would note, despite my previous comment about returning diaspora, that achill as a whole is a lot closer to a melting pot of ideas, beliefs and cultures than the depictions offered in this recent coverage (be that through ignorance or design i couldnt say in any one instance).

returning/visiting diaspora are a part of that but also its longstanding tradition as a place of art/retreat/creativity, which im sure it shares with many other sites in the west of ireland.

put forward your own views by all means, but nobody should be hoisting up "the people of achill" as their logo. have the courage of your own convictions for gods sake and stop claiming these simple island folk as either wholly black or wholly white depending on the needs of your argument.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    To consult with communities and vet proper applicants takes much more time.

Also, other than a pretend consultation, why would the department consult with indigenous peoples that they obviously hold in such utter contempt. It's a win win for the Dublin department types. . . dumping your problems on your other problems and ghettoising them both in the areas you have most contempt for, all the while calling the indigenous people you ignored for years racist if they raise the slightest query.

Locals always intrinsically know whats best for the asylum seekers, I would love to hear their thoughts for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Read some of the excerpts for Flanagan's "siege" and so on but not the actually thing before this.

Just read the articles now, I'd had thought he wanted the protest to stop now that it was cancelled but it's not and they weren't using "postponed" to try save some face. Flanagan basically calling on them to stop the protest as it's working, and as soon as they do he'll slip them in.

How dumb is he or how dumb does he think everyone else is.

Varik wrote: »
    How dumb is he or how dumb does he think everyone else is.

The department and political types assume the indigenous people in these areas are sub species imbeciles due for replacement . . . and treat them accordingly.

Locals always intrinsically know whats best for the asylum seekers, I would love to hear their thoughts for once.

No, locals intrinsically know and care for the success of their locality and community, unlike those trying to ghettoize it, run it down, starve it of resources, while dumping their problems there without any genuine care for the long term interests, integration and needs of the genuine asylum seekers.

• Advertisement

high_king wrote: »
    No, locals intrinsically know and care for the success of their locality and community, unlike those trying to ghettoize it, run it down, starve it of resources, while dumping their problems there without any genuine care for the long term interests, integration and needs of the genuine asylum seekers.

My locality have had Somalian refugees for years without issue, no drive bys just yet. At least you are being honest though eg not pretending its about asylum seekers welfare.

Advertisement