Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

My locality have had Somalian refugees for years without issue, no drive bys just yet. At least you are being honest though eg not pretending its about asylum seekers welfare.

had refugees? Every area in Ireland has already had refugees
    drive bys ? - no one made any claims about genuine asluym seekers causing any trouble.
    Maybe you'd be honest enough to not attempt to pretend what was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My locality have had Somalian refugees for years without issue, no drive bys just yet.

Obviously you haven't been to Balbriggan or other Dublin areas where there is regular issues around criminality and antisocial behaviour from the children of migrants from Africa .( Massively ignored by the media )
    When there is issues of migrant teen gangs we don't even get a descriptions of suspects only they are based on "LA Street gangs"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

My locality have had Somalian refugees for years without issue, no drive bys just yet. At least you are being honest though eg not pretending its about asylum seekers welfare.

I think there are genuine concerns for the peoples welfare, but also the wider effect that dumping people in a place where they will have nothing to do and is highly unsuitable for them to be in in their situation, cant work, will get d*mn all to spend on themselves, can clearly see that the hotels are just stacking em high to maximise profits rather havinf any concern for them, and are ultimately left to their own devices 23 hours a day, before being carted off somewhere else for the same thing to happen over again, would have on the community as a whole. If anyone was treated like that - asylum seekers or otherwise, they may well be going to feel disillusioned and maybe act negatively over time.
    That isnt an unreasonable concern, but the fact that the people happen to be asylum seekers makes some people get up in arms when that is expressed. We say it about our own youth all the time, but if that youth is an asylum seeker, we are afraid to utter the words.

Nobody seems to question the other side half as much on that front. For example, if these people are being moved on after 3 months (presumably where another contract gets agreed and the process starts again with new people), then how can they integrate into the community in that time? In reality they cant. They will get to know a small number of people and then be moved on again.

The truth of this setup is, it is a money racket. Keep them for 3 months, move them on. Get more in later for another 3 months, move them on. No integration in community, no interest in their wellbeing or their own personal wishes etc.

I think there are genuine concerns for the peoples welfare, but also the wider effect that dumping people in a place where they will have nothing to do and is highly unsuitable for them to be in in their situation, cant work, will get d*mn all to spend on themselves, can clearly see that the hotels are just stacking em high to maximise profits rather havinf any concern for them, and are ultimately left to their own devices 23 hours a day, before being carted off somewhere else for the same thing to happen over again, would have on the community as a whole.

Slum landlords and their cronie politicians love this arrangement.
    Dublin department types deliberately starved these areas of resources and ran them down for years and now want to dump their problems there.

It's a win win for those who have a pathological hatred of so called "rural" Ireland as they like to call any town that's not one of their own cities. They then attempt to silence anyone wise to them by trying to label them racist, when in fact they are the most racist intolerant self hating Irish people you will ever meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I think there are genuine concerns for the peoples welfare, but also the wider effect that dumping people in a place where they will have nothing to do and is highly unsuitable for them to be in in their situation, cant work, will get d*mn all to spend on themselves, can clearly see that the hotels are just stacking em high to maximise profits rather havinf any concern for them, and are ultimately left to their own devices 23 hours a day, before being carted off somewhere else for the same thing to happen over again, would have on the community as a whole. If anyone was treated like that - asylum seekers or otherwise, they may well be going to feel disillusioned and maybe act negatively over time.
    That isnt an unreasonable concern, but the fact that the people happen to be asylum seekers makes some people get up in arms when that is expressed. We say it about our own youth all the time, but if that youth is an asylum seeker, we are afraid to utter the words.

Nobody seems to question the other side half as much on that front. For example, if these people are being moved on after 3 months (presumably where another contract gets agreed and the process starts again with new people), then how can they integrate into the community in that time? In reality they cant. They will get to know a small number of people and then be moved on again.

The truth of this setup is, it is a money racket. Keep them for 3 months, move them on. Get more in later for another 3 months, move them on. No integration in community, no interest in their wellbeing or their own personal wishes etc.

I agree direct provision is totally dysfunctional and deliberately designed as such to dissuade future asylum applications, but please spare me the candle light vigils in Galway as if all that frenzy is out of concern for migrant rights, Reminded me of the fervour around the abortion referendum.

• Advertisement

high_king wrote: »
    No, locals intrinsically know and care for the success of their locality and community, unlike those trying to ghettoize it, run it down, starve it of resources, while dumping their problems there without any genuine care for the long term interests, integration and needs of the genuine asylum seekers.

no

locals have different views about all of this.

people arent going to stop doing that, are they

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Good to see the replys to this on Twitter , mostly against it.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1190353805629628417?s=19

US2 wrote: »
    Good to see the replys to this on Twitter , mostly against it.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1190353805629628417?s=19

Ah yes, faceless,nameless keyboard warriors on Twitter are always an accurate barometer of the pulse of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ah yes, faceless,nameless keyboard warriors on Twitter are always an accurate barometer of the pulse of the nation.

Who said they are?

no

locals have different views about all of this.

people arent going to stop doing that, are they

What views ? Stop doing what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

From war torn South Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I agree direct provision is totally dysfunctional and deliberately designed as such to dissuade future asylum applications, but please spare me the candle light vigils in Galway as if all that frenzy is out of concern for migrant rights, Reminded me of the fervour around the abortion referendum.

As I stated in the post you quoted, I do believe that there are genuine concerns for the peoples welfare, but there are undoubtedly also concerns about the effects these conditions would have on people, who subsequently might take that out on the community. That community sees little garda presence, is not young and is 50 miles from a hospital...
    Allied with fears over how some religions and/or countries view and treat women, I dont think that those worries are unreasonable, let alone racist.
    Put it this way, if you were told a few days ago, that the population of your area was to double overnight by way of various single men of undisclosed origin, would you have allowed a young daughter out trick or treating or to a party etc without any concern or forewarning?

We all know the answer to that question, and it is just common sense. However, try to express it on national tv with a couple of microphones in your face. All of a sudden that is a mine field. For that reason, i dont blame anyone who just sticks to the safe option of welfare, while talking to media. Most are only hoping for a slip or a badly selected phrase while under pressure...

For all the contributers so concerned about the public purse in all of this and how a few thousand asylum seekers will somehow cripple the economy, take a guess at what the yearly INTEREST repayments are on the bailout debt, €1.1 billion and €1.3 billion. Put things in perspective?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    From war torn South Africa?

Persecution comes in many forms.

As I stated in the post you quoted, I do believe that there are genuine concerns for the peoples welfare, but there are undoubtedly also concerns about the effects these conditions would have on people, who subsequently might take that out on the community. That community sees little garda presence, is not young and is 50 miles from a hospital...
    Allied with fears over how some religions and/or countries view and treat women, I dont think that those worries are unreasonable, let alone racist.
    Put it this way, if you were told a few days ago, that the population of your area was to double overnight by way of various single men of undisclosed origin, would you have allowed a young daughter out trick or treating or to a party etc without any concern or forewarning?

We all know the answer to that question, and it is just common sense. However, try to express it on national tv with a couple of microphones in your face. All of a sudden that is a mine field. For that reason, i dont blame anyone who just sticks to the safe option of welfare, while talking to media. Most are only hoping for a slip or a badly selected phrase while under pressure...

There are no doubling of populations anywhere, just standard xenophobic stereotyping of the "other". I seem to remember a load of Brazilians living in Gort years ago and nobody batted an eyelid, good footballers and Catholics you see.

For all the contributers so concerned about the public purse in all of this and how a few thousand asylum seekers will somehow cripple the economy, take a guess at what the yearly INTEREST repayments are on the bailout debt, €1.1 billion and €1.3 billion. Put things in perspective?

Where has anyone on this thread claimed this ? Quote the post accurately for us please.

There are no doubling of populations anywhere, just standard xenophobic stereotyping of the "other". I seem to remember a load of Brazilians living in Gort years ago and nobody batted an eyelid, good footballers and Catholics you see.

ah the mask drops

ah the mask drops

How so? Do you understand irony?

No we're too thick and backward to understand - remember that for Irony ?

Where has anyone on this thread claimed this ? Quote the post accurately for us please.

Do a control F "freeloaders" and its derivatives.

• Advertisement

What is this mask you speak of so? As a card carrying militant atheist Im genuinely intrigued.

Do a control F "freeloaders" and its derivatives.

Where did they say "asylum seekers will somehow cripple the economy" as you claimed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Greeks have just passed legislation in an attempt to curb the flow of asylum seekers to their shores. So where does this sit in relation to Charlie Flanagan and Stanton's view that we have EU and International obligations.

Is Greece exempt from these same obligations or did they just say 'enough is enough'?

Where did they say "asylum seekers will somehow cripple the economy" as you claimed ?

I was being polemic, google it.

What is this mask you speak of so? As a card carrying militant atheist Im genuinely intrigued.

So you agree with providing Muslim asylum seekers with Mosques and upholding their views about women in the community ?

I was being polemic, google it.

No you were making a false claim and got caught out on it. Google that.

So you agree with providing asylum seekers with Mosques and upholding their views about women ?

I detest all organised religion equally but I still recognise the right of people to practice their stone age nonsense. Irish people critiquing other religions is pretty hilarious, if you are on about gender equality need I remind you of our very recent past?

I detest all organised religion equally but I still recognise the right of people to practice their stone age nonsense. Irish people critiquing other religions is pretty hilarious.

The mask slips again, prejudice, intolerance, sectarianism, hypocrisy and self hating racism all in the one post.

The mask slips again, intolerance, sectarianism, hypocrisy and self hating racism all in the one post.

Explain to me how being an atheist is sectarian again? Facepalm, please read.

• Advertisement

Explain to me how being an atheist is sectarian again? Facepalm, please read.

Where did I say being an atheist is sectarian ? Post it. You've already been caught lying about what people post.

Advertisement