Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

high_king wrote: »
    Where did I say being an atheist is sectarian ? Post it. You've already been caught lying about what people post.

Grand explain how I am sectarian again? Mark Twain was right about arguing with idiots.

What views ? Stop doing what ?

all views ffs. the whole point is that nobody can or should post about "local's views" because they're all bloody different.

and stop doing what is stop doing that ^^^^

clear enough?

hugely patronising behaviour towards the entire island in most posts here, whether calling it a backward nothingville, or claiming it as justification for closeminded xenophobia on one side or some sort of hippy commune on the other.

as always, its a far from perfect spot but it's neither of the above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Grand explain how I am sectarian again? Mark Twain was right about arguing with idiots.

here you go, argue with your own self hating hypocritical sectarian claims . .
    I detest all organised religion equally but I still recognise the right of people to practice their stone age nonsense. Irish people critiquing other religions pretty hilarious.

here you go, argue with your own self hating hypocritical sectarian claims . .

Hunour me and google the definition of sectarian.

Hunour me and google the definition of sectarian.

I think you'd learn a lot more if you learned how to look up words yourself.

• Advertisement

I think you'd learn a lot more if you learned how to look up words yourself.

sectarian
    /sɛkˈtɛːrɪən/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    adjective: sectarian
    denoting or concerning a sect or sects.
    "the city's traditional sectarian divide"
    (of an action) carried out on the grounds of membership of a sect, denomination, or other group.
    "sectarian killings"
    rigidly following the doctrines of a sect or other group.
    "the sectarian Bolshevism advocated by Moscow"
    Similar:
    factional
    schismatic
    cliquish
    clannish
    partisan
    parti pris
    denominational
    doctrinaire
    dogmatic
    extreme
    fanatical
    rigid
    inflexible
    bigoted
    hidebound
    narrow-minded
    Opposite:
    tolerant
    liberal
    broad-minded

noun
    noun: sectarian; plural noun: sectarians
    a member of a sect.
    "a Jewish sectarian who preached the redemption of the Gentiles"
    Similar:
    separatist
    dissenter
    dissident
    nonconformist
    free thinker
    renegade
    recusant
    schismatic
    revisionist
    unbeliever
    sceptic
    agnostic
    atheist
    non-theist
    zealot
    Young Turk
    extremist
    radical
    activist
    militant
    bigot
    dogmatist
    partisan
    devotee
    a person who rigidly follows the doctrines of a sect or other group.
    "he became a target as a sectarian who had apparently denounced one liberal-minded reformer as ‘degenerate’"

good boy . . now read what you posted. lol

good boy . . now read what you posted. lol

I AM ATHEIST, therefore it is impossible for me to be a sectarian, I do not belong to any sect, Mark Twain is weeping.

I AM ATHEIST, therefore it is impossible for me to be a sectarian, I do not belong to any sect, Mark Twain is weeping.

Congratulations, who cares ? Unlike you I don't prejudice people based on what non belief / belief someone else has. Did Mark Twain not tell about hypocrisy ?

Congratulations, who cares ? Unlike you I don't prejudice people based on what non belief / belief someone else has. Did Mark Twain not tell about hypocrisy ?

Im.burstin for a ****e.

• Advertisement

Im.burstin for a ****e.

Probably from talking it here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Remind me wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the Dept Justice do not accept single men as asylum seekers and try to accommodate families first.

I personally disagree with the protests and I would call the story of 38 single
    men as scaremongering.

The news of 38 men came to Mayo from the relevant government department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Why can’t we have a transparent process around asylum ? Why are people here so against this ? What exactly is wrong with making sure asylum seekers are genuine cases ? Please someone answer these questions without playing the “you’re a racist “ card

Perhaps we need a public consultation on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

I keep hearing people going on about the way in Syria

Here's a tourist video of Damascus from this year

I might visit it myself....Looks like a nice spot

As for wars in Nigeria, Albania and Pakistan....everyone knows there's no war there.

Does anyone know the relationship between the countries with the most generous welfare and the destination for "asylum seekers"? I would love to see a breakdown on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It certainly was a strange case which I still can't get my head around due to the many contradictions

"So how do we look on the case of Ellie Kisyombe? She is a vibrant, cheerful, single mother from Malawi, who according to interviews, arrived in Dublin Airport in 2010 on a direct flight from Addis Ababa, claimed asylum and went straight into direct provision where she remains, vocally unhappy, nine years later.

Nine years on, her two children have joined her and she has become an energetic, public voice for DP reform. Banned from paid work, she co-founded a non-profit food project employing up to 20 paid staff. When asked why a decision on her status has taken so long, she says she does not know. But a shocking nine-year containment in DP raises legitimate questions for everyone. It suggests either callous incompetence by department officials or that Kisyombe’s ongoing case for asylum has fallen at several hurdles for unstated reasons.* Such is our delicacy in these matters, few people delved further.

A front page Sunday Times splash this week has suggested a more circuitous route to Ireland taken by Kisyombe. This account places her as a student in Bristol university between 2007 and 2010, then returning to Malawi before getting a student visa in Ireland, then applying for UK asylum. It also has her applying for Irish asylum a year later than stated, followed by a lengthy stay in the UK".

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/kathy-sheridan-do-the-contradictions-in-ellie-kisyombe-s-story-matter-1.3799397

Well her and two daughters now have leave to remain

A player.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2017/0127/848197-drama-on-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Varik wrote: »
    Read some of the excerpts for Flanagan's "siege" and so on but not the actually thing before this.

Just read the articles now, I'd had thought he wanted the protest to stop now that it was cancelled but it's not and they weren't using "postponed" to try save some face. Flanagan basically calling on them to stop the protest as it's working, and as soon as they do he'll slip them in.

How dumb is he or how dumb does he think everyone else is.

What i find hilarious is his spiel on the radio yesterday crying foul and how Ireland will lose its Cead Mile Failte and all that crap, then painting a picture that they protesters wont engage in proper dialogue.

At the same time up until being forced to the table Flanagan and his party have been purposely ignoring people and offering no consultation at all. Its only a couple a weeks ago that David Stanton admitted that they couldn't consult with local communities to protect from GDPR :P.

Unless they start engaging properly and stop trying to paint people as racists when its their horrible policies bringing them into dispute this will just keep growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

There are no doubling of populations anywhere, just standard xenophobic stereotyping of the "other". I seem to remember a load of Brazilians living in Gort years ago and nobody batted an eyelid, good footballers and Catholics you see.

Yes there was. They were told 70 single males were arriving the next morning. The population of the village is less than 75-76..
    But I suppose that doesnt serve your narrative of, what appears to be, if the asylum seekers were from brazil nobody would mind...🙄

You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can't say “******”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states' rights, and all that stuff, and you're getting so abstract. Now, you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “******, ******"

Yes there was. They were told 70 single males were arriving the next morning. The population of the village is less than 75-76..
    But I suppose that doesnt serve your narrative of, what appears to be, if the asylum seekers were from brazil nobody would mind...🙄

What?speak english.who was told what by who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thurles and a few other towns in Tipp now apparently on the block.

• Advertisement

Yup can't beat the anonymous racists, instead of a pillow case over the face its now online forums. Wouldn't have the balls to say anything publicly bar drunken barstooling in the local of a Saturday with their pals. Go out and get laid ffs.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Why can’t we have a transparent process around asylum ? Why are people here so against this ? What exactly is wrong with making sure asylum seekers are genuine cases ? Please someone answer these questions without playing the “you’re a racist “ card

I would hazard a guess that the answer is money. It is a quite lucrative business when you can stack em high. You can probably buy food in bulk etc. the pay check is never going to be late or short, no cancellations and they pay per head rarher than per room. That is a serious earner.
    There is no logical reason not to try to involve and empower the community before these people arrive, if the goal was in fact to integrate them into the community. There would be no 3 month contracts either...
    Now if you wanted to get in as many as possible to maximise profits you would probably tell people nothing, try to sneak them in overnight at the shortest notice possible, and pull all the stunts that are being pulled at present to get these people into these villages. The people protesting are being portrayed as the bad guys, but the whole thing completely stinks.

Yup can't beat the anonymous racists, instead of a pillow case over the face its now online forums. Wouldn't have the balls to say anything publicly bar drunken barstooling in the local of a Saturday with their pals. Go out and get laid ffs.

And we will have less of a voice after Charlie’s new hate speech rules. As far as I can see there is not much racist bile being thrown up here at all. Just people who want their elected officials to actually consult with them before making cultural changes to their homeland, you know the place they were born ? You might not care about it, but some of us still do.

What?speak english.who was told what by who exactly?

The community...
    were told by the authorities...
    that up to 70 single males, aged between 20 and 50...
    would be arriving the next morning.

Simplified enough for you?
    Try reading it a second time if it isnt.

And we will have less of a voice after Charlie’s new hate speech rules. As far as I can see there is not much racist bile being thrown up here at all. Just people who want their elected officials to actually consult with them before making cultural changes to their home, you know the place they were born. You might not care about it but some of us still do and we wouldn’t mind being asked or opinions on matters such as 70 male asylum seekers being moved in next door.

Cultural changes bahahaha, keep hanging yourself, there are immigrants playing GAA in other jurisdictions,not "assimilated" enough for you?

The community...
    were told by the authorities...
    that up to 70 single males, aged between 20 and 50...
    would be arriving the next morning.

Simplified enough for you?
    Try reading it a second time if it isnt.

Ill happily read a credible source for this and not online Chinese whispers.

Cultural changes bahahaha, keep hanging yourself, there are immigrants playing GAA in other jurisdictions,not "assimilated" enough for you?

How exactly am I hanging myself ? That’s great that they’re playing GAA but that doesn’t mean the flood gates must now be opened because someone decided to join a GAA club. I totally welcome a transparent system, but telling the media it was 13 women is not transparent when we all it was far more and also mostly male. The system is rife with fraud and cases that are not genuine.

Obviously fighting them off yourself on a saturday night...

No one has answered this yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ill happily read a credible source for this and not online Chinese whispers.

Don’t think you’ll find the original script in the public domain. But the adaptation has gone to print

Advertisement