Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

US2 wrote: »
    Good to see the replys to this on Twitter , mostly against it.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1190353805629628417?s=19

MASI, is that the same as the MASI spreads hate and has started targeted campaigns against people?

I agree people should have the right to claim asylum, and direct provision IS wrong. We should have a central facility near the airport with meals etc paid for, where decisions are made quickly and then people either deported or provided with accomodation etc within the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Don’t think you’ll find the original script in the public domain. But the adaptation has gone to print

Right so the whilee argument is the authorities didnt consult the natives but now they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Right so the whilee argument is the authorities didnt consult the natives but now they have?

The night before, how thoughtful of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The community...
    were told by the authorities...
    that up to 70 single males, aged between 20 and 50...
    would be arriving the next morning.

Simplified enough for you?
    Try reading it a second time if it isnt.

The number of the asylum seekers is suspiciously increasing and the gender is rapidly changing by the hour on this thread. I'd imagine there's a lot of barstool talk and unneccessary panic involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The number of the asylum seekers is suspiciously increasing and the gender is rapidly changing by the hour on this thread. I'd imagine there's a lot of barstool talk and unneccessary panic involved here.

Big time, chinese whispers hystertia, the spectrum varies from 12 women to 100 hardened criminal jihadists, take your pick, gotta love us sapiens.

• Advertisement

Big time, chinese whispers hystertia, the spectrum varies from 12 women to 100 hardened criminal jihadists, take your pick, gotta love us sapiens.

Ok then, I look forward to hearing this. Say I decided to move 70 or whatever number you want males from a foreign country possibly warzone in beside you without asking or seeking your input, are you going to tell me that you would be totally ok with that ? You’d have no issue whatsoever ? You wouldn’t even be the slightest bit anxious, wondering who they are, or what the intentions are for them ?

You mentioned jihadists not us by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hal3000 wrote: »
    And we will have less of a voice after Charlie’s new hate speech rules. As far as I can see there is not much racist bile being thrown up here at all. Just people who want their elected officials to actually consult with them before making cultural changes to their homeland, you know the place they were born ? You might not care about it, but some of us still do.

You know as well as I do that commentators like the one you responded to only want to shut you down hence all the comments on racism.

Charlie's new law won't work for the same reason as most things in Ireland it needs to be policed and it won't be. All it will do is silence discourse in public while driving more extreme methods on a regular basis.

Shameful stuff if they've been influenced or infiltrated by right wing groups.

Even more shameful if they haven't been and it's pure homegrown bigotry & ignorance.

Shameful stuff if they've been influenced or infiltrated by right wing groups.

Even more shameful if they haven't been and it's pure homegrown bigotry & ignorance.

No sorry I haven’t been infiltrated or influenced by anyone. I would like my Government to stop lying and consult with it’s citizens every now and again. Before you ask I’m not in the slightest bit racist, I would like a transparent and fair asylum process that stops bogus claims. What would you like it to be ? A free for all that doesn’t have any checks and balances ? You’ve offered nothing to this debate so far so if you’re going to continue race baiting then jog on my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

MadYaker wrote: »
    There’s one pub and one shop. The secondary school is on the mainland and the primary school is tiny and doesn’t have space. There’s a GAA club.

Yer a mad yaker alright if you think that's the sum total of facilities on Achill!! At least do your research if you're going to lash out stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Actually the opposite was the case. It started as 70 'single' men arriving the next day. Then when people, understandably, starting querying it, it became 40 men in a few days. Then when the press got wind of it, 38 men over two days. Finally when the national press heard about it, it was 13 women and 25 'families' (men).
    When they finally got around to inspecting the place, it was 13 vulnerable women and the thing was 'abandoned'. Then it was changed to 'postponed'. Funny enough the inspection part never made the story in the paper.

Seeing a pattern? The more questions were asked, the lower the numbers got. Most likely a 'thin end of the wedge' type tactic, like something you would see at some dodgey salesman at street market.

You can argue the rights and wrongs of the protest, but the above is clearly some very fancy footwork from the authorities, and you couldnt blame people getting annoyed by this kind of thing, in what is a serious issue that deserves more open and honest behaviour

Hal3000 wrote: »
    No sorry I haven’t been infiltrated or influenced by anyone. I would like my Government to stop lying and consult with it’s citizens every now and again. Before you ask I’m not in the slightest bit racist, I would like a transparent and fair asylum process that stops bogus claims. What would you like it to be ? A free for all that doesn’t have any checks and balances ? You’ve offered nothing to this debate so far so if you’re going to continue race baiting then jog on my friend.

I haven't mentioned race once. I'm just remarking on the fact that the number of asylum seekers has been over doubled and the gender has changed on this thread without a shred of back up or evidence. All hearsay, conjecture, barstool talks and internet whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Actually the opposite was the case. It started as 70 'single' men arriving the next day. Then when people, understandably, starting querying it, it became 40 men in a few days. Then when the press got wind of it, 38 men over two days. Finally when the national press heard about iy, it was 13 women and 25 'families' (men).
    When they finally got around to inspecting the place, it was 13 vulnerable women and the thing was 'abandoned'. Then it was changed to 'postponed'. Funny enough the inspection part never made the story in the paper.

Seeing a pattern?
    You can argue the rights and wrongs of the protest, but the above is clearly some very fancy footwork from the authorities, and you couldnt blame people getting annoyed by this kind of thing, in what is a serious issue that deserves more open and honest behaviour

It's pretty shameful how this has been reported.

And how it was handled by the DOJ. That’s the issue here. The system and the Department are a shambles.

Genuinely, that is how the thing happened. I have no irons in the fire here and to be honest I think a reaonable number of asylum seekers should be housed in the area. It is the behaviour of the DOJ that has annoyed me to the point of posting about it. I cant fathom why they are carrying on like that, but I can understand why nobody feels they can take their word on the matter because of it. They seem to think they can all be like donald trump, and in doing so they have made the entire thing untenable.

I haven't mentioned race once. I'm just remarking on the fact that the number of asylum seekers has been over doubled and the gender has changed on this thread without a shred of back up or evidence. All hearsay, conjecture, barstool talks and internet whispers.

You were saying?

You were saying?

Is that a screenshot of a Facebook page?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

bubblypop wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Hotels are not suitable, but yet when offered actual apartments, they are not suitable either!
    Tbh, I don't believe anyone should be living in hotels, particularly families.
    I believe there are plenty of empty houses & apartments around the country.
    And why the obsession with placing asylum seekers in cities?
    What's wrong with small town living
    ? It was great for a lot of families in this country, why not asylum seekers?

All I can see is rubbish excuses getting thrown around, with no-one actually saying what they believe is the suitable method, except of course for the few who think they should be kept in prison type buildings!

There are no towns of any size in Achill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You were saying?

This Yellow Vest crowd seem to be the original source of the "news" alright. They've got "far - right" ties so watch out for alterior motives with anything they post.

xckjoo wrote: »
    This Yellow Vest crowd seem to be the original source of the "news" alright. They've got "far - right" ties so watch out for alterior motives with anything they post.

Not really bothered about their leanings tbh, the information shared was from the first day the thing was announced. This was the same information that was shared with the community. It states up to 70 asylum seekers would be arriving the next day. The meeting was called for that evening. The guy claimed what I was saying was barstool talk, but this shows that this is in fact not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Not really bothered about their leanings tbh, the information shared was from the first day the thing was announced. This was the same information that was shared with the community. It states up to 70 asylum seekers would be arriving the next day. The meeting was called for that evening. The guy claimed what I was saying was barstool talk, but this shows that this is in fact not the case.

I wouldn't worry, said poster, like many others, has a history of hating any Irish person not from Dublin and jumping on or making up any anti "rural" (or rather so called rural) Ireland story he can find.

high_king wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, said poster, like many others, has a history of hating any Irish person not from Dublin and jumping on or making up any anti "rural" (or rather so called rural) Ireland story he can find.

You're right, you've nothing to worry about my posts.

Try not to make this a rural/urban issue. It's a national issue, we're in this together as a nation. I've no hate for anyone, be them rural, urban or foreign. I don't use the word "hate" in my vernacular and I've never done so.

If you have a problem with my posts and feel there's hatred, report them or get back to track and engage on the thread.

nuac wrote: »
    There are no towns of any size in Achill

there are two towns on achill

apologies that ive missed it

where is the source for the various reports of what the DOJ has said in terms of numbers and makeup of people involved here?

original source from dept itself if possible, anything else is of course not to be treated as coming from the dept and we would all accept that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

there are two towns on achill

What towns?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

high_king wrote: »
    Attack the post(s) and not the poster

peter4918 wrote: »
    What towns?

jesus if you dont know why the hell would i bother telling you.

whats your interest if you cant even name the two towns on the bloody island ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

jesus if you dont know why the hell would i bother telling you.

whats your interest if you cant even name the two towns on the bloody island ffs

There are none. Clearly you’ve never been to Achill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Beasty wrote: »
    Attack the post(s) and not the poster

lol, and yet no sign of moderation when anything personal was directed at me. Quelle surprise.
    And before you try it, why would I waste my time reporting it ?

• Advertisement

peter4918 wrote: »
    There are none. Clearly you’ve never been to Achill.

incorrect, and its the weakest of possible argument type to say "clearly youve never x' based on a presumption.

presuming you're going to want to get into a technical argument about the sizes of keel/the sound or the technical definition of a 'town'.

that would be pathetic of you tbh

Advertisement