Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

incorrect, and its the weakest of possible argument type to say "clearly youve never x' based on a presumption.

presuming you're going to want to get into a technical argument about the sizes of keel/the sound or the technical definition of a 'town'.

that would be pathetic of you tbh

Only in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

incorrect, and its the weakest of possible argument type to say "clearly youve never x' based on a presumption.

presuming you're going to want to get into a technical argument about the sizes of keel/the sound or the technical definition of a 'town'.

that would be pathetic of you tbh

You stated there are 2 towns on Achill and I asked you to name them and you cannot because there are no areas in Achill considered towns. But since you seem to know better can you please name the 2 towns you are referring to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Try not to make this a rural/urban issue. It's a national issue, we're in this together as a nation. I've no hate for anyone, be them rural, urban or foreign. I don't use the word "hate" in my vernacular and I've never done so.

If you have a problem with my posts and feel there's hatred, report them or get back to track and engage on the thread.

lol

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Only in your opinion.

oh gosh, look fair enough, by all means rescind the remark and replace it with "quibbling over the definition of the difference between village and town in order to disqualify either named location is something you are welcome to do with somebody else, have a wonderful evening'

the comment it responded to originally said 'no town of any size'. that isnt a statement designed for quibbling about.

peter4918 wrote: »
    You stated there are 2 towns on Achill and I asked you to name them and you cannot because there are no areas in Achill considered towns. But since you seem to know better can you please name the 2 towns you are referring to.

i named them in the post you quoted.

anyway, good luck.

• Advertisement

anyway, good luck.

No you didnt name any towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must say I’m taken aback by the minister talking about “sieges” in achill.

Why is he using such reckless inflammatory language?!
    The besieging is actually from himself onto the people of Achill.

What he now tries to do is force the immigrants onto the people of Achill. Does he really think this is the best start for them?

The capitol forces itself onto the districts..

5795-1532336916.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

anyway, good luck.

Keel and Achill Sound or the Sound as you call it are not towns by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

biko wrote: »

The capitol forces itself onto the districts..

The irony in using The Hunger Games as an analogy to support a narrow world view devoid of compassion is...just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

apologies that ive missed it

where is the source for the various reports of what the DOJ has said in terms of numbers and makeup of people involved here?

original source from dept itself if possible, anything else is of course not to be treated as coming from the dept and we would all accept that, right?

David Stanton, relevant minister verifief the original number of males only going to Achill on the SOR show yesterday.
    Listen to the podcast.

• Advertisement

peter4918 wrote: »
    Keel and Achill Sound or the Sound as you call it are not towns by any stretch of the imagination.

ive lived in both

how you wouldnt call the sound (as i and everyone else i know calls it) a town is beyond me

keel might be debatable, its hardly manhattan but it isnt tonragee neither

anyways

Fann Linn wrote: »
    David Stanton, relevant minister verifief the original number of males only going to Achill on the SOR show yesterday.
    Listen to the podcast.

thanks for that, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

biko wrote: »
    The racism shines through

If you’re reaching to infer I’m ‘racist’, the people I heard slobbering on the radio mostly did not have accents local to Mayo. There were Dublin, Scottish and English accents among others. But I suppose I could be accused of xenophobia, falsely, but hardly racism.

The funny thing is, I’ve worked with and for people from all over the world. Many of these, Chinese, various African nationalities, Pakistani, Russian, had hardline racist views, didn’t hide them and made no apology about it.

While I would strongly disagree with these views, I have more respect for those people and their honesty than the mealy mouthed double standards applied in this country by the likes of these protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Correct. But o Riordain, RTE, , Duffy, , Charlie Flanagan on RTE this very minute are calling them racist, alt right etc etc.

I would not expect any better from O'Riordan, Duffy nor RTÉ
    Was rather surprised to hear Charlie Flanagan on about "hard alt right" etc. To many FG are the nearest we have to hard right.
    In fact his dad Oliver J, was extremely xenophobic on some issues. In the mid sixties he was ranting about a young German couple who were working a farm in his area near Kinnity - metaphorically handing out the pitchforks.
    Therefore I am amazed that he calls decent Achill people "alt-right". Perhaps he should have a word with his speech writer,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ive lived in both

how you wouldnt call the sound (as i and everyone else i know calls it) a town is beyond me

keel might be debatable, its hardly manhattan but it isnt tonragee neither

anyways

I dont think achill sound could be classed as a town personally. There is no streets, other than the main road passing through. Not that that is relevant here anyway as achill sound is 15 km from where the AAH is. People seem to think that because it is on the island that means something. But 15km is basically a totally different townland in any other debate.

Keel is just a small shop, a restaurant and 2 pubs close to a beach. That is a village, and a fairly small one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Officially both the sound and Keel are villages so unless I'm mistake there is no room for debate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

nuac wrote: »
    Was rather surprised to hear Charlie Flanagan on about "hard alt right" etc. To many FG are the nearest we have to hard right.
    In fact his dad Oliver J, was extremely xenophobic on some issues. In the mid sixties he was ranting about a young German couple who were working a farm in his area near Kinnity - metaphorically handing out the pitchforks.
    Therefore I am amazed that he calls decent Achill people "alt-right". Perhaps he should have a word with his speech writer,

Don't know what world these politicians live in, In Flanagan's case it's probably the aids and whoever else but some of them must live in social media bubbles. They parrot on some completely outside the box stuff as if there's a huge public support for it and seem to believe that the alt right boogeymen are around every corner.

Calling people who oppose this "alt-right", when in reality there seems to be a lot of Irish people who don't even want a new apartment building built near them let alone asylum centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

This 'alt right' stuff seems to be a bit of a buzzword to blacken the people involved. There is a lot of that going on. What even is the alt right? Is there an alt left or an Alt Fine Gael? Similarly, they refer to 'outside influences causing trouble'. Who are these influences? What influence have they had exactly?
    I have also heard of interviews given in good faith in recent days, being completely edited to make the people sound bad and their arguments haphazard - this is by the national broadcaster. This was only done to one aide of the debate. Can you guess which?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hilarious considering in one of the other threads this week we have folks commenting how the traditional media isn't biased :P.

Also to add to the FG and right, lets not forget the blueshirts.

Charlie needs to get his head out of his arse and sort the system out. Using the media as a weapon to bully or try and "cancel" town's has started to loose its power.

tuxy wrote: »
    Officially both the sound and Keel are villages so unless I'm mistake there is no room for debate on it.

ah look i admit defeat. theres no towns of any size on achill and ill make sure to let anyone i know referring go either village as a town hereon in that theyre incorrect!

can the point at least stand that the island isnt as bereft of amenities or services as many posts would claim though?

im not trying to argue either side strongly but jaysus some of the impressions given of the place strike me as very unfair.

• Advertisement

ah look i admit defeat. theres no towns of any size on achill and ill make sure to let anyone i know referring go either village as a town hereon in that theyre incorrect!

can the point at least stand that the island isnt as bereft of amenities or services as many posts would claim though?

im not trying to argue either side strongly but jaysus some of the impressions given of the place strike me as very unfair.

You tried to call another poster pathetic for saying there was no towns in Achill.
    Now you are moving the goalposts cos you were called out.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    You tried to call another poster pathetic for saying there was no towns in Achill.
    Now you are moving the goalposts cos you were called out.

i said it was pathetic to argue the point by nitpicking over definition of town when the original post referred to said "town of any size"- i believe at the time i was narked by their insistence that id never been to achill based on the statement (tho honestly i may be getting that out of order too)

and i said after is rescind that and provided another wording

and in the last post i said by all means lets not call either village a town if the technical definition excludes them on that basis.

now listen, on a discussion board, thats a not inconsiderable attempt at rapprochement.

if you, on another poster's behalf, choose not to consider it sufficient- i couldnt care less tbh

are you arguing the substantive point that there are reasonably sized villages/amenities in achill or not, btw, or are you a one-word pony?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anything to the right of Chairman Mao is now considered "alt-right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hilarious considering in one of the other threads this week we have folks commenting how the traditional media isn't biased :P.

Also to add to the FG and right, lets not forget the blueshirts.

Charlie needs to get his head out of his arse and sort the system out. Using the media as a weapon to bully or try and "cancel" town's has started to loose its power.

Completely agree, Charlie is spending far to much time with globalists and not enough time with his constituents. All Irish politicians are losing the run of themselves bending over backwards to keep their mates in Brussels happy. Hopefully this backfires around election time but it’s highly unlikely to happen in Ireland. It’ll be the same people voted back in and the game starts all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It seems that Leo Varadkar has now joined the alt-right. He has just finally come out …….. and stated that Georgian and Albanian migrants travelling to Ireland with fake documents are the “big driver” behind the rise in asylum seekers coming to this country. Of course, there is not a peep from the New Left/Liiberal leaning media outlets in the country except for the Irish Independent this morning. Nothing about the story from the Irish Times or the Times Light (Irish Examiner) or the other sources of supposedly unbiased news in our country.

Yet, those of you who do point out the lunacy and unfairness of the current asylum process of putting asylum seekers in unprepared and inadequately resourced villages and towns around the country are apparently “sectarian, racist, knuckle draggers”….. even though it has been statistically proven that the majority of them are fraudsters. There is a cadre of posters on here who advocate that the Irish worker/contributor should pay for a lifetime of welfare/services for these fraudsters; irrespective of the validity of their asylum applications. Sinn Fein’s policy is that no asylum seeker should ever be deported (links on their web site), irrespective of crimes committed by them, including murder and rape.

You will probably find that a substantial portion of the people who are screaming racism at anyone who has the audacity to question anything relating to the obvious scamming done by the majority of asylum seekers are also suckling at the public teat of the Irish worker/contributor or have skin in the game. The asylum industry in Ireland will make a lot of people rich in this country. This is the reason why it needs to be completely overhauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In fairness Charlie’s fathers views are irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

If posing with fake passports and fake stories deport. We should help genuine asylum seekers, and crack down on spoofers and send the message that BS won't work.

If the DoJ continue with their BS with no transparency, then they will continue to play into the hands of actual alt right folk, not locals who are refusing to be taken for a ride.

Start off with removing the planning exemption that Alan Kelly brought in for asylum centres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Must be an election coming up
    <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

zell12 wrote: »
    Must be an election coming up
    <snip>

I’m sure Charlie Flanagan will be on the media this morning asking the Taoiseach to ‘step back’ and stating that such alt right views have no place in Ireland.

Advertisement