Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I notice a few posters missing today, telling us that we are knuckle draggers and racist for saying anything against asylum seekers.

Obviously Leo has been influenced by alt right infiltrators and he is now a Racist, who unlike other "right thinking,normal" people is making up stories to justify his bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I notice a few posters missing today, telling us that we are knuckle draggers and racist for saying anything against asylum seekers.

Obviously Leo has been influenced by alt right infiltrators and he is now a Racist, who unlike other "right thinking,normal" people is making up stories to justify his bigotry.

Sometimes people get bored of the circular arguments, these threads can go in. While i don't agree with the post your referring to its great we have a forum that we can talk this stuff through and get opposing views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You will find Ronin, that they will be back like clockwork tomorrow morning.
    Curious, isn't it.
    It's almost like ............... that it's a job for them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Balf wrote: »
    Apologies, I don't follow what significance you are attaching to birth rate.

Ah, sorry, I should have typed a full sentence, but I'm lazy. I was wondering how the birth rate of Irish nationals would factor into all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Calhoun wrote: »
    Sometimes people get bored of the circular arguments, these threads can go in. While i don't agree with the post your referring to its great we have a forum that we can talk this stuff through and get opposing views.

It’s amazing how Boards and Reddit have switched roles in this regard over the last few years. It used to be that Boards mods would shut down a huge amount of controversial discussion, particularly posts coming from right wing points of view, and /r/Ireland was where you went to have full and no holds barred discussion of pretty much any topic which people were interested in talking about. In the last year or so, /r/Ireland has engaged in a huge amount of explicitly political censorship, while Boards has completely moved away from stifling debate for the sake of being presentable or “safe”.

Kudos to those running Boards for listening to us users over the years and moving away from that, particularly at a time when the rest of the Internet sadly seems to be intentionally moving towards the model of boring ‘mainstream views only’ echo chambers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The insufferable colette browne ( who must never sleep) was on Newstalk this morning accusing Leo of "dog whistling"

Utterly depressing that a no talent PC hack has such a prominent media profile

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The insufferable colette browne ( who must never sleep) was on Newstalk this morning accusing Leo of "dog whistling"

Utterly depressing that a no talent PC hack has such a prominent media profile

Then there is astonishment when people turn away from traditional media, if they were more unbiased you might actually prevent people from going to new media platforms which re-enforce bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Calhoun wrote: »
    Then there is astonishment when people turn away from traditional media, if they were more unbiased you might actually prevent people from going to new media platforms which re-enforce bias.

I know personally, I get the impression that so many just say whatever they think will forward their own career. I dont get the impression that many genuinely believe in the view they are taking, but rather they are just playing it safe in a permanent loop, hoping that it gets them a better job down the line. It is a real turn off. Same old spiels about alt right and infiltration by outside forces, which are borderline propaganda at this stage. They are a poor relation to what media should be.
    It could be said that the same, self-centred drive for personal wealth and success that is bringing these people to places they should not be getting brought to in a million years, is also holding back proper reporting on the topic. Money has the whole thing corrupted. Ironically, a perfect welcome to the west for these people if there ever was one...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Making up stories ?

But,you are correct I suppose,in that storytelling and fibbing is largely the perogative of crusty ol right-wingers whilst the "right thinking,normal" people have largely transferred to Social Media platforms.....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/if-youre-injured-then-im-injured-woman-filmed-jogging-despite-60000-claim-for-crash-injuries-38656762.html
    The mother, who has driven on a provisional licence or learner permit for :eek: 19 :eek: years, was also videoed getting in and out of a car without difficulty despite telling a medical consultant she was “unable to function in any way.”
    Ms Lamidi has failed her driving test on multiple occasions and has driven on a provisional licence for 19 years.

Leaving the inconsequential matter of competency to drive aside,this intrepid lady's adventures are apparently continuing apace....
    Despite losing the case and having costs awarded against her, Ms Lamidi said she was no worse off financially as she didn’t pay them.

“I can’t pay. Where would I get money?”

She added that she wasn’t faced with a legal bill either. My lawyer said no pay no fee. I don’t need to pay him.”

Ms Lamidi said her insurance costs haven’t increased over the crash.

“I was lucky my insurance was protected. Nothing affected me. I protected it. I was insured. It didn’t affect me at all. It stayed the same.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26mT1_QTWRA

I wonder if the roads around Achill might be more suited to this style of motoring ?

(Where is the Facepalm smilie when it's so badly needed ?)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Kivaro wrote: »
    Curious, isn't it.

No point doing the sunday overtime for them boys, only end up working for the tax man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Maybe the questions I asked 2 of them yesterday scared them off. They went along the lines of do you think unchecked immigration is ok, and please tell us how you would react to 70 single men being moved in beside you without any consultation or plans for their integration. Total silence from both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Did I hear Regina Doherty correctly on the news when she was sent out to back up Leo's Sunday Indo comments....that in the first 9 months of this year, 1,700 men have claimed asylum here from Georgia an Albania alone :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

jay0109 wrote: »
    Did I hear Regina Doherty correctly on the news when she was sent out to back up Leo's Sunday Indo comments....that in the first 9 months of this year, 1,700 men have claimed asylum here from Georgia an Albania alone :eek:
    Wonder how many are genuines cases, considering between 97 to 99.97% of folks from these two states had their applicaitons rejected last year.

Who knows where these ones from last year are now, may well be they all requested appeals and are still here. Some may have entered the black market of cash only odd-jobs.

Some may have been 'asked' to leave, but unless you're on a plane sitting beside such person(s) it's difficult to know if they actually left at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

jay0109 wrote: »

That is very concerning if true. We really are seem as a soft touch to these people.

Why is it always men ?

Yes, I just heard Doherty there again repeated on the 9pm news...."1,700 young men from Albania and Georgia" in the first 9 months of this year have claimed asylum here.

Leo responded to the criticism against him by saying his comments are based on facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

More likely he is talking tough because an election is coming in the next few months, after the election he'll reveal that Longford Center Parcs was a refugee camp all along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

statesaver wrote: »
    That is very concerning if true. We really are seem as a soft touch to these people.

Why is it always men ?

Economic migrants are usually single men, they can get manual labour jobs and live cheaply and send money home to family. Once established, they can send for the wife and kids.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Economic migrants are usually single men, they can get manual labour jobs and live cheaply and send money home to family. Once established, they can send for the wife and kids.

Do we know if this is actually the case? I would have assumed economic migrants was not limited to just males. Just seen the post you were quoting and it makes sense in this case.

Before we closed the loop hole for anchor babies we had allot coming in and probably still do. The chances of being granted leave to stay with a kid in our current system is quite high. So i would say economic migration as a woman is much more successful than single male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

goose2005 wrote: »
    More likely he is talking tough because an election is coming in the next few months, after the election he'll reveal that Longford Center Parcs was a refugee camp all along ;)

7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Kivaro wrote: »
    Curious, isn't it.

This is your second clumsy attempt at implying those who disagree with your racist views are unemployed (as if that makes their disagreement with your shít worldview invalid, which of course it does not, except in your narrow mind).

Personally I don’t have the time to engage all day with the spoutings of bone heads on the internet.

Today for example I was volunteering at a cross community bring and buy to raise funds for basic survival equipment for people in the camps in northern France.

I’m off out now to listen to Georgian choir and possibly have a glass of their fantastic wine afterwards, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to rapidly respond to your doltish interrogations.

Only one mind, tomorrow’s a school day after all.

Enjoy your hate filled evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Less of the spoofing and calling people racists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This is your second clumsy attempt at implying those who disagree with your racist views are unemployed (as if that makes their disagreement with your shít worldview invalid, which of course it does not, except in your narrow mind).

Personally I don’t have the time to engage all day with the spoutings of bone heads on the internet.

Today for example I was volunteering at a cross community bring and buy to raise funds for basic survival equipment for people in the camps in northern France.

I’m off out now to listen to Georgian choir and possibly have a glass of their fantastic wine afterwards, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to rapidly respond to your doltish interrogations.

On a,perhaps unconnected issue,what is your understanding of the term "racist" ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Superficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Is Boards unrepresentative of Irish public opinion or is Ireland far more right-wing than I'd realised?

I think the problem here is that people aren't all defined by left or right here, many of us have no problem with legal immigrants or those who come to work here who are able to support themselves, we're just not really interested in putting up with shenanigans like scammers, ássholes and chancers coming here causing trouble. Let's be clear while there are genuine cases of those looking for asylum the problem is theres plenty of them trying to use it as a way of getting work here not because they're in genuine need of asylum and because it's not easy to verify their stories it makes things harder for those at this end to know whos the real deal and who's the chancer acting the bollocks. We also don't want the kind of shíte happening here that happened in England creating problem's for us. At the end of the day were not a big country, we have problems of our own and we can't just be taking in everyone from other parts of the world because their home states are run by corrupt, incompetent or power hungry idiots with no concern for anyone but themselves and their golden circles of friends.

As for the whole asylum center thing people are bloody right to protest against it, expecially since it's essentially the department dumping a social problem in a small town with a small population without any consultation or facilities. I mean the whole point in these cases is that they put 100 asylum seekers in a town down the country with a pop of 100~200 and expect them to do what? Stare at the sheep all day every day? Why isnt this being done in larger towns instead where there is at least SOME infrastructure or facilities for them?

There's also another issue with the "racism" angle being used to try and silence legitimate debate or genuine concerns and it's something I'm personally bothered by as well. I mean why debate the real concerns and convince people when it's easier to just paint them as all "racists". It's the same kind of toxicity that's poisoned debate and polarised people and honestly I wish those in the media and that would knock it off and actually LISTEN to people's concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Batty Boy

The people on both sides of this debate are really annoying, people who throw the word racist around like confete and who are in denial about all the chancers in the system are annoying but the "lack of amenities" crowd are equally annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What worries me is that it is now labelled "dangerous" to speak the truth.

I am no fan of Varadkar, but I support him telling the truth.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkars-remarks-on-asylum-seekers-branded-gaslighting-and-dangerous-38657818.html

The chief executive of the Irish Refugee Council (IRC) Nick Henderson said that what the Taoiseach said is "dangerous", even though it is the truth.

I hope the taxpayer is not funding this organisation.

Aodhan O'Riordan on SO'R Show now to have a go at Leo about his comments which were in a 'negative light' and 'sloppy'.
    He's courting right wing votes apparently.
    And it's typical 'blaming the victim' rhetoric. Aodhan has a thing for victims!

44% of asylum applications here in 2019 are from safe countries.

The Georgian Ambassador has waded in also. He said no one from his country should be claiming asylum anywhere in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I have very little time for Leo but how is a factual statement 'sloppy' lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So to dispel the info as rumour, hearsay and barstool talk, who exactly told you there were 70 men arriving in Achill?

@Mayoaremagic.

You may have missed this. Busy thread, busy weekend.

• Advertisement

Aodhan just had a go at Sean and now Sean has gotten angry, telling him RTE will decide who presents radio shows and not him. Sean is actually now defending the Taoiseach's comments.
    Asking Aodhan if he believes the Irish people have no right to know where the applicants are coming from, that we should be kept in the dark.

I really love Aodhan when he goes over the edge like this. He's actually one of the most intolerant people out there. A Totalitarian hiding behind a liberal mask.

Great radio

Advertisement