Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Gatling wrote: »
    No

The whole Irish people did this and that abroad is a moot point see when an Irish person commits a crime they face actual punishment and deportation ,

Here our economic migrants get arrested,might go to court where it will be announced the foreign criminal is now seeking asylum ,
    And likely will never deportated ,drugs , assault, welfare fraud ,rape , murder ,
    But given state protection then lifelong benefits .

Who says it doesn't pay

Fact check on this? Perhaps your bugbear is with our legal system,different argument altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Albanian mafia are active here too, in the drugs and prostitution trade.
    Early days, give them a few years of being the #1 source of applicants for IPO, and they'll repeat their 'acheivements' as per in the uk' i.e. 'near total takeover' of the UK’s entire £5bn 'white powder' market.

Early days, give them a few years of being the #1 source of applicants for IPO, and they'll repeat their 'acheivements' as per in the uk' i.e. 'near total takeover' of the UK’s entire £5bn 'white powder' market.

Dont worry, the Nigerians will have macheted us all to death before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fact check on this?

All checked and correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

recedite wrote: »
    I agreed with you that they tend to be ambitious. They are also considered to be one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Sicilians are also very high achieving - what does that tell you?

Do you mean "Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world" ? Then, yes, it is statistically well above average. I am not sure what "they are one of the most corrupt countries in the world" means. As far as I understand it, very many Nigerians are unhappy and complain about the corruption in their country.

Are Sicilians high achieving? What are you basing that on? If it is some silly reference to the Mafia, what is the relationship between that and the exceptionally high academic achievement record of Nigerian immigrants in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

what's the matter, can't find any real racism, so you post and perpetuate some racist stereotyping instead ?

What pathetic hypocrisy.

All checked and correct

Grand, I ll take your word for it.

high_king wrote: »
    what's the matter, can't find any real racism, so you post some racist stereotyping instead ?

Pathetic.

Irony free zone.

Irony free zone.

you are the only one actually posting and perpetuating racist stereotypes here about Nigerian people

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

But here they are mostly unemployed

Are you able to do anything except deflect? Can you post a link or reference to these statistics please? Or we can take it that they just exist in your imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

I see now that a minimum of seven people (I thank them for their thanks ) were bright enough not to need an explanation at all.

You may not find the joke funny, but while I explained it to you, I cannot understand it for you.

He would hardly be painting his country in the best possible light by making a fool of himself in the telling of lies, would he ?

He would hardly be painting his country in the best possible light by making a fool of himself in the telling of lies, would he ?

You may not find the joke funny, but while I explained it to you, I cannot understand it for you.

But you didn't explain it, because you can't. It's gibberish. Look, don't sweat it, we all misfire with jokes from time to time. No big deal.

1641 wrote: »
    achievement record of Nigerian immigrants in the US?

Were not talking about immigrants in the US ,

Pointless really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

1641 wrote: »
    I am not sure what those figures are meant to show. That migrants send remittances to their home countries? Always have and always will. Very many Irish families survived on remittances from emigrant members, especially in the 50s and 60s. Many emigrant remittances paid for the shoes for their younger sibs, kept them in schools to get a higher standard of education, built toilet facilities, and so on. Maybe your family benefitted at the time? If not you are possibility a minority, depending on what part of the country your family came from.

As for the statistics, the second highest remittance figure reported went to the UK - are we complaining about immigration from there now? The third highest from Poland - legal EU immigrants, are we complaining about this too?

Our economy has grown very substantially in recent years. We have essentially full employment. How could our economy have grown and those jobs have been filled without immigration? There are over 120,000 Poles living here. In the 2016 census there were over 100,000 UK nationals living here and over 320,000 all other EU nationals. How would our economy have coped or expanded without this pool of workers ? (I know some of the UK nationals will have retired here). And the CSO figures from June this year indicate that approx 61,000 were working here from outside the EU. Again, how would these jobs have been filled otherwise without immigration?

And going back to your Sun link and the largest remittances going to Nigeria. There migrants seem to be very talented and very ambitious people, given how they have been getting on in the US. They are the highest achieving ethnic group there, outperforming all other immigrants and the US average:
    [
    url]https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/the-most-successful-ethnic-group-in-the-u-s-may-surprise-you/86885/[/url]

Sorry, where in the article itself does it substantiate that bold claim ?

It seems to be a little toned down in the body of the article (my emphasis)...
    ...all while confidently emerging as one of the country’s most succesful immigrant communities

While it does offer this titbit -
    Today, 29 percent of Nigerian-Americans over the age of 25 hold a graduate degree, compared to 11 percent of the overall U.S. population, according to the Migrations Policy Institute.

Comparing with the overall US population does not of itself confer 'most successful ethnic group' status.

I found this elsewhere, on the subect of 'Asian American' educational attainment -
    different Asian ethnic groups have different educational attainment levels -- 68 percent of Asian Indians, age 25 and older, had a bachelor's degree or more education and 37 percent had a graduate or professional degree;

An extraordinary figure if true. And call me old-fashioned, but 37>29, no ?

Were not talking about immigrants in the US ,
    True, and actually it's Indians (US Census) that are the most successful ethnicity in the US. In the UK Indians are also similarily near the top, along with Chinese for earning potential.

At the bottom of the pile is Pakistan, Afro-Carb, Multi groups and Bangladesh.
    Bangladeshi women actually outperform their male counterparts for earnings, but are still at the very bottom of the scale, says alot about their menfolk.

True, and actually it's Indians (US Census) that are the most successful ethnicity in the US. In the UK Indians are also similarily near the top, along with Chinese for earning potential.

At the bottom of the pile is Pakistan, Afro-Carb, Multi groups and Bangladesh.
    Bangladeshi women actually outperform their male counterparts for earnings, but are still at the very bottom of the scale, says alot about their menfolk.

Ironic that most if not all the "Indian" restaurants in Ireland are in fact owned and run by Bangladeshis, according to my Indian work colleagues.

My oh my, what a terrible racist remark you seemed to have spurned out there, no shame.

My oh my, what a terrible racist remark you seemed to have spurned out there, no shame.

Suicide vests earlier .

Amazing some of us would have been labelled white supremacists for making comments like.that

Suicide vests earlier .

Amazing some of us would have been labelled white supremacists for making comments like.that

Righteous indignation from Xenophobes Utd, make sure you report your outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thought that was the Rwandans method.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thought that was the Rwandans method.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-security-violence-idUSKCN1GJ368

I cherry picked a random link to suit my argument so it must be true of all Nigerians.

• Advertisement

Amateurs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-security-violence-idUSKCN1GJ368

I cherry picked a random link to suit my argument so it must be true of all Nigerians.

In contrast to your fantasies, you can't find any genuine racism in the thread, so you've decided to post and perpetuate some sterotypes about other nationalities. .lol . . the ultimate hypocrit shooting himself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The number of those who are non genuine asylum seekers is 90% (aside from program refugees) and 80 % of failed ones get to stay. There would not be such an accommodation problem if this was addressed . The protests at proposed DP may go somewhat towards addressing this , at present no one wants to mention it.

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The number of those who are non genuine asylum seekers is 90% (aside from program refugees) and 80 % of failed ones get to stay. There is would not be such an accommodation problem if this was addressed . The protests at proposed DP may go somewhat towards addressing this , at present no one seems to mention it.

You mean, '....no one WANTS to mention it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I did actually.
    Now I could go down the same route as you, and just ignore questions put to me, but them Id be no better than you. So..

The people who attended one of the early meetings were informed by the authorities that the hotel was assessed as suitable for 70 people.

Right. I guess the rumour mill turned that in to 70 men of a certain age are coming to Achill?
    Later on, it was uncovered that very little assessing had actually taken place, which only underlines how people behind the move were being disingenuous throughout and why people dont trust them now. The reality is there has been as much genuine proof offered for the 70 men as there has been for the 13 vulnerable women... One is swallowed whole, the other, people query it. Why do you think that is? Have the alt left infiltrated all around them, like the alt right?

I don't know why the 70 men number was swallowed whole and the 13 women questioned. I guess it's unfounded fears of the unknown, people tend to hook in to what they conceive as "terrible" news. Hope it works out for everyone involved, but it's looking ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

high_king wrote: »
    you are the only one actually posting and perpetuating racist stereotypes here about Nigerian people

giphy.gif

Im so glad we live in a country with so little racism and an almost non existent violent racist sect that these people have to completely fabricate both in real life and online to keep themselves happy in their ‘oppression games’ bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The number of those who are non genuine asylum seekers is 90% (aside from program refugees) and 80 % of failed ones get to stay. There would not be such an accommodation problem if this was addressed . The protests at proposed DP may go somewhat towards addressing this , at present no one wants to mention it.

Really, for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Boggles wrote: »
    Really, for how long?

Too long over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Too long over 20 years.

So 90% of all asylum seekers in the past 20 years are still here?

I know asking for evidence of a claim has suddenly become frowned upon around here and can lead to a sanction.

But I think for such a meaty claim, dare I ask have you evidence to back it up?

Or at least give me an indication of how many are here, must be in excess of 100,000, no?

Where are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Too long over 20 years.

Don't bother talking to this one on deportations. He/she believes that all deportation orders are carried out....a small few enforced by the State and the rest, 10's of thousands, leave voluntarily when they get the order!

Advertisement