Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting holes for tvs

Options
  • 31-10-2019 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Heya, I'm in a rental for a few years now and one of the housemates A mounted a TV in his room. He since changed room and the new person B doesn't need a mount.

Now there are 4 holes in the wall in the original room, does the guy who drill have to fix them up or what happens here?

I don't want to leave it as if A moves out before B then who has responsibility for fixing. I'm the contact with the LL for the house atm and would prefer to know what the story is, can't find the info online.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The person who did the damage fixes it. It'll most likely require the whole wall to be painted after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A should have just left the wall mount there, it’s cheap as chips to buy a new one for the size of tv you put up in a bedroom.

Holes in the wall are not wear and tear so if they are visible, they will have to be filled in. A bit of polyfill, sand paper and a tester should be enough to touch it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cheers, thought as much. Will bring it up today or tomorrow.

Dav010 wrote: »
    A should have just left the wall mount there, it’s cheap as chips to buy a new one for the size of tv you put up in a bedroom.

Holes in the wall are not wear and tear so if they are visible, they will have to be filled in. A bit of polyfill, sand paper and a tester should be enough to touch it up.

You can't leave the wall mount unless the landlord approved its installation and it appears that they didn't.

If you fill 4 holes in a wall it'll be obvious, especially since it's at a height people will see. It's not wear and tear so the landlord will be entitled to get the wall repainted. So the person who mounted the TV will have to fill the holes and sand them, then they will have to repaint the wall or the OP will loose their deposit when they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can't leave the wall mount unless the landlord approved its installation and it appears that they didn't.

If you fill 4 holes in a wall it'll be obvious, especially since it's at a height people will see. It's not wear and tear so the landlord will be entitled to get the wall repainted. So the person who mounted the TV will have to fill the holes and sand them, then they will have to repaint the wall or the OP will loose their deposit when they leave.

If there is an aerial socket on the wall, in an age when all TVs are flat screen, the LL will not mind if you leave it there. I’ve had tenants do it, thankfully they had the good sense to leave them there for the next person.

Filling in/repairing screw holes is easy, most of us have done it at one time or another. Rentals rarely get painted with exotic colours, it’s usually magnolia or something cheap to repaint again.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    If there is an aerial socket on the wall, in an age when all TVs are flat screen, the LL will not mind if you leave it there. I’ve had tenants do it, thankfully they had the good sense to leave them there for the next person.

Filling in/repairing screw holes is easy, most of us have done it at one time or another. Rentals rarely get painted with exotic colours, it’s usually magnolia or something cheap to repaint again.

The paint won't match, even from the same tin it'll be different now, and it's an easy way for the landlord to keep the OPs deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Before leaving my apartment i filled all holes in the walls (2 TVs) and some cabinets and painted all the rooms white to clean it up. this was after a 4 year tenancy.

Leave it as i found it.

Advertisement