Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found Bank Cards

Options
  • 31-10-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I work in an area that gets handed in Loose bank cards (not in a wallet or purse).  My question is are there bank guidelines in relation to how to handle these Loose cards? We would not have the time to ring every individual bank.  If someone arrives into us and says we have a Loose card belonging to them and it matches what they describe should we give it to them.  My personal  view is No, as we don't know the circumstances of the loss, in whose hands it has been in, whether it is already compromised and also whether the 'John Smith' who turns up saying we have their card is the correct 'John Smith'.  I am just hoping for a definitive answer from a Bank to alleviate any hassle from the supposed Card Holder so any help in this area would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Should give them back to the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Andrew55 wrote: »
    I work in an area that gets handed in Loose bank cards (not in a wallet or purse).  My question is are there bank guidelines in relation to how to handle these Loose cards? We would not have the time to ring every individual bank.  If someone arrives into us and says we have a Loose card belonging to them and it matches what they describe should we give it to them.  My personal  view is No, as we don't know the circumstances of the loss, in whose hands it has been in, whether it is already compromised and also whether the 'John Smith' who turns up saying we have their card is the correct 'John Smith'.  I am just hoping for a definitive answer from a Bank to alleviate any hassle from the supposed Card Holder so any help in this area would be appreciated.

Hi Andrew55,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

Normally if we are contacted by a third party who has found a card belonging to our customers we would always ask that this is dropped into a branch or destroyed themselves. You are correct in saying that  you have no way to verify them so it is always better to err on the side of caution and destroy the card.

Generally cards have been already cancelled by the account holder.

We hope this helps.

Thanks Jen

Advertisement