Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace 4g Router?

• 31-10-2019 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I am looking to replace my 4g router. I bought my current one a number of years ago off ebay. It was a T-Mobile one from Germany or Poland or somewhere.

Says B593u-12 which seems to be a re-badged Huawei.

I have invested in a aerial with similar connections so would look for something with external connectors.

Any idea's? is it worth swapping?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok so I am looking to replace my 4g router. I bought my current one a number of years ago off ebay. It was a T-Mobile one from Germany or Poland or somewhere.

Says B593u-12 which seems to be a re-badged Huawei.

I have invested in a aerial with similar connections so would look for something with external connectors.

Any idea's? is it worth swapping?

that takes external aerials .. why are you thinking of changing ? to get better ISP speeds or better wifi in the house or other ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

celtic_oz wrote: »
    that takes external aerials .. why are you thinking of changing ? to get better ISP speeds or better wifi in the house or other ?

I have bought external antenna and no speed increase: Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTE Antenna

I plugged in a B890 I have and could get better speeds but it is in not great condition and will only allow wireless or wired connection. Not both and I need a mix

So I was thinking to upgrade the router and see if that would help. The current B593 is over 4 years old now and I would expect the newer ones are better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If it is THREE you after, you should consider one which supports LTE aggregation ( connects to 2 transmitters at ones , doubling the speed.)
    Vodafone doesn't support this technology, only THREE in Ireland AFAIK.
    It is make huge difference in peak times, when cells overcrowded, you could get 5-10 Mbit from first cell and same from another.
    B525 supports LTE aggregation and many OTHERS.

alec76 wrote: »
    If it is THREE you after, you should consider one which supports LTE aggregation ( connects to 2 transmitters at ones , doubling the speed.)
    Vodafone doesn't support this technology, only THREE in Ireland AFAIK.
    It is make huge difference in peak times, when cells overcrowded, you could get 5-10 Mbit from first cell and same from another.
    B525 supports LTE aggregation and many OTHERS.

Thanks.....that looks like a good option.

I only use Vodafone at the moment but the upgrade to gigabit ports!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All MNOs have LTEA, even Eir (if small).

I dont have option for landline broadband. No other supplier in area so I use Vodafone broadband.

If Shefwed has limited BB choices like that its almost guaranteed that he/she lives in an area where LTE-A isnt a consideration.

Sounds like signal: good, equipment: good, demand: not so good. In BB starved areas this is common and there's pretty much sweet FA you can do about it.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    All MNOs have LTEA, even Eir (if small).

If Shefwed has limited BB choices like that its almost guaranteed that he/she lives in an area where LTE-A isnt a consideration.

Sounds like signal: good, equipment: good, demand: not so good. In BB starved areas this is common and there's pretty much sweet FA you can do about it.

I’m on out skirts of Dublin with Facebook not a million miles away but we have no broadband and on the s**t list so nobody supplies until the 3 billion or whatever is spent

I have Vodafone and it works but I should be getting better so I think the router might be an issue....

I went Vodafone as two sites are closest with one about 3-5km away and another about 6-8km away

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I’m on out skirts of Dublin with Facebook not a million miles away but we have no broadband and on the s**t list so nobody supplies until the 3 billion or whatever is spent

I have Vodafone and it works but I should be getting better so I think the router might be an issue....

I went Vodafone as two sites are closest with one about 3-5km away and another about 6-8km away

what speeds are you getting ?

At the moment getting decent ping
    Circa 10Mbps download
    Circa 4-5Mbps upload

test your speeds at unsocial hours .. 5 in the morning etc if you are getting 30mbs or higher your hardware is fine .. the cells are congested by other users at other times and theres nothing you can do. I have the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

- TP-Link MR 6400 4G Router (Supports 2.4Ghz Wifi)

- Huawei B525 4G Router (Supports 2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wifi)

Have both these and like them both.
    After considering the features and use cases the Huawei is superior and a bit more expensive, the WAN Mobile card in the Huawei picks up the transmitter better which means more reliable throughput for you and less susceptible to interference from external factors such as weather, distance and environment. They both have 3G rollback function encase 4G is poor and it will be poor lol..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They both have 3G rollback function encase 4G is poor and it will be poor lol..

Thats kinda like stating a car has a windscreen, you'd be hard pressed to find any LTE modem without HSDPA also included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

ED E wrote: »
    Thats kinda like stating a car has a windscreen, you'd be hard pressed to find any LTE modem without HSDPA also included.

It is... But the access point may not be set on auto rollback which is why I stated it. Some are set at 4G only, 4G preferred or 3G only.
    The TP link was set at 4G only.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    test your speeds at unsocial hours .. 5 in the morning etc if you are getting 30mbs or higher your hardware is fine .. the cells are congested by other users at other times and theres nothing you can do. I have the same

Ok sorry to drag this back up. Imagine had opened up a new site and I was fully expecting to hook myself up till they landed out and nothing, they couldn't get a decent signal so out the window

Done this test last night and at 4 in morning the performance wasn't any better to the performance in middle of day so that would usggest hardware is not up to standard.

My option is to try Satellite connection or maybe buy a Huawei B525

What do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

The B525 is worth a go. You can get it from Amazon. Worse case scenario, you try it and if the speeds are bad you can just send it back to them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-unlocked-networks-Genuine-Warranty/dp/B071CYR18L/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=b525&qid=1580736766&sr=8-2

Advertisement