Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with landlord

Options
  • 31-10-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

New acc to hide identity sorry posted this in error in 3rf level section

Landlord refuses to fix anything.

We moved into house seemed ok but shabby. We have never been given a written lease or rent receipts however we do pay by bank transfer.

There is a massive shortage of accommodation where we live. We cannot move due to already commuting over an hr -90 mins for work and we have a disabled child that we are lucky to have a suitable school place for plus his health professionals and care needs.

When we moved in house seemed ok but within a few days issues became evident.

1) heating system doesn’t work properly
    2) leaks in house under floor
    3) house is badly damp coming from floor up
    4) elec trips constantly numerous sockets don’t work and not in walls properly
    5) shower doesn’t work.

All has been reported via text and we get messages back saying I’ll look into it and nothing gets done.

Sewage system doesn’t work when it rains. Currently have no toilet no washing facilities etc

What can we do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I know you don’t want to hear it but move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 123anoneymouse

Fol20 wrote: »
    I know you don’t want to hear it but move out.

We would if we could find somewhere. We have gone to see 4 different properties in the last month and not 1 was offered to us. Every time you are up against a number of people and it’s wait for a call back and we don’t get one.

It’s bloody crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

y did u move in where u blindfolded at the viewing where u threatened forced to stay hope u can walk away or maybe the RTB can put manners on the caravan owner

y did u move in where u blindfolded at the viewing where u threatened forced to stay hope u can walk away or maybe the RTB can put manners on the caravan owner

Where we were was being sold and it took months to find where we were. We were literally 3 weeks away from being homeless.

Probably blinded by desperation a bit, but it seemed fine on the surface it wasn’t until we were living here for a few days it became evident that there were issues. The longer we are here the worse it’s getting

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Where we were was being sold and it took months to find where we were. We were literally 3 weeks away from being homeless.

Probably blinded by desperation a bit, but it seemed fine on the surface it wasn’t until we were living here for a few days it became evident that there were issues. The longer we are here the worse it’s getting

Threshold will advise and can also act as your advocate ie talk to the landlord on your behalf. Official involvement can help; had to do this one and it worked great. call them? The place there is way below standard in so many ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Graces7 wrote: »
    Threshold will advise and can also act as your advocate ie talk to the landlord on your behalf. Official involvement can help; had to do this one and it worked great. call them? The place there is way below standard in so many ways

The only thing this will do is have the op out on their ear, by the sounds of it, the place needs to be completely overhauled or condemned, if its that bad i find it hard to believe a lot of this was not noticeable if they are there only a few days.Its a difficult situation but if the work to upgrade the extent of problems described would surely mean the property would have to be vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Graces7 wrote: »

LL is under obligation whatsoever to listen to anything Threshold has to say.

Op, contact the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

After you've been in six months I'd carry out the urgent repairs yourself and then open a case with the RTB for reimbursement. Make sure to get at least three quotes, go with the cheapest and keep the receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

After you've been in six months I'd carry out the urgent repairs yourself and then open a case with the RTB for reimbursement. Make sure to get at least three quotes, go with the cheapest and keep the receipts.

Seriously?

You would pay to have the floor of a house you rent ripped up to repair a leak, along with fixing the heating system, shower etc? That could run into thousands, what if the LL doesn’t have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dav010 wrote: »
    Seriously?

You would pay to have the floor of a house you rent ripped up to repair a leak, along with fixing the heating system, shower etc? That could run into thousands, what if the LL doesn’t have it?

No I would do the very urgent things like put the bloody sockets in the wall and make sure the heating is working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

We would if we could find somewhere. We have gone to see 4 different properties in the last month and not 1 was offered to us. Every time you are up against a number of people and it’s wait for a call back and we don’t get one.

It’s bloody crazy

I don't think people realise the desperation of renters. I do feel for you OP.

Threshold offer the best advice and are for the tenants. Don't be afraid to use them to get LL to comply with legislation. Good luck to you.

This house sounds dangerous to me, with damp, leaks, constant electrical trips. I would be actively looking for somewhere else, and when in new place I would report that LL, who no doubt us paying zero tax and not complying in any way. I am a LL myself, there’s very little to be made it unless you are in it in a big way; but I have no time for LLs like the OP has and they need to be weeded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Threshold offer the best advice and are for the tenants. Don't be afraid to use them to get LL to comply with legislation. Good luck to you.
    As mentioned before, the OP will have to open a case with the PTRB. The LL can tell Threshold to eff off, and ignore any advice they give the LL.

=-=

Keep looking to move out. From your description, it's not homeless, but it's not great either.

When looking, look based on price, not how many rooms are in the house, as you may find places with offices or converted attics that are listed as storage spaces, but could be used as rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

the_syco wrote: »
    As mentioned before, the OP will have to open a case with the PTRB. The LL can tell Threshold to eff off, and ignore any advice they give the LL.

=-=8

Keep looking to move out. From your description, it's not homeless, but it's not great either.

When looking, look based on price, not how many rooms are in the house, as you may find places with offices or converted attics that are listed as storage spaces, but could be used as rooms.

You go to Threshold who then assist with and advise on taking a case to the RTB. Threshold should always be first port of call.

Thanks everyone I had issues logging in today so couldn’t respond earlier.

I rang threshold who recommended to contact the council who I rang and spoke with. They are going to come out and do an inspection.

We are already priority for housing due to having a disabled person within the family.

We will have to see what happens. Seemingly council can push things along. I don’t know how but they can

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I rang threshold who recommended to contact the council who I rang and spoke with. They are going to come out and do an inspection.

We are already priority for housing due to having a disabled person within the family.

We will have to see what happens. Seemingly council can push things along. I don’t know how but they can

Well done and keep at them? Call them again if they do not respond soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

This house sounds dangerous to me, with damp, leaks, constant electrical trips. I would be actively looking for somewhere else, and when in new place I would report that LL, who no doubt us paying zero tax and not complying in any way. I am a LL myself, there’s very little to be made it unless you are in it in a big way; but I have no time for LLs like the OP has and they need to be weeded out.

how can you come to the conclusion regarding tax? irrelevant to the ops circumstances, the problems if described exactly as they are make the place not habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What happens when the council condem the property? With no sewerage system it's not habital. As another poster said the work required to fix up the property will require it to be vacant. So the council can push it along but it'll result in you being homeless, neither option is good.

This is what happens when the government interfers in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Del2005 wrote: »
    What happens when the council condem the property? With no sewerage system it's not habital. As another poster said the work required to fix up the property will require it to be vacant. So the council can push it along but it'll result in you being homeless, neither option is good.

This is what happens when the government interfers in the market.

I agree, if you avail of the mechanisms to make the LL live up to their legal responsibilities (as they should), the reality is that you will legally be looking for other accommodation soon after. The works that appear necessary to bring this property back to decent rental standards (on paper at least) will most likely result in that outcome.

No matter what the morality of it is, you have a family. Look as hard as you can for somewhere else, it's going to happen sooner or later.

Advertisement