Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this just a case of goosed wiper blades?

• 31-10-2019 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Serious streak on the windscreen. Only have the car 3 months (From an MB Main Dealer) and assumed the wiper blades would have been changed before hangover... I guess I was wrong.

Cleaned the windscreen (and blades) with TFR (making sure not to get any on the paint!) but no difference AT ALL... so guessing just a case of knackered wiper blades? Still looks like grease / oil though??

Zh8cHzA.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be the blades, any idea how old they are? Try a good glass cleaner, if that fails new blades. Sometimes the blades can look grand but could be ancient.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning-vacuums/meguiars-perfect-clarity-glass-cleaner-473ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

^^ Cheers. No idea how old they are, can get new Bosch Aeroblades in Halfords tomorrow (Local factors don't seem to have the twin set) - for the sake of an extra fiver i'll get them local instead of ordering online.

Is that glass cleaner really that good? No issue purchasing but don't want to be buying snakeoil either... feck it i'll chance it along with the new wipers, could hardly see out of the windscreen earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I find that cleaner great, water beads on the glass and clears really easy with wipers.

Yes I find that cleaner great, water beads on the glass and clears really easy with wipers.

Splashed out and purchased the glass compound too - picking up tomorrow AM. Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Bit confused why you’d assume they would change wiper blades, I think that would be way down their list of things to do!

Interested in your results as my screen looks similar to yours and changing blades hasn’t made much difference

• Advertisement

The_Chap wrote: »
    Bit confused why you’d assume they would change wiper blades, I think that would be way down their list of things to do!

Interested in your results as my screen looks similar to yours and changing blades hasn’t made much difference

Last Merc I bought was about 5 years old when I bought it from a dealer... wiper blades / floor mats etc. all changed.

This car was 18 months old, b4stards didn't even new in new car mats, so you're right, I shouldn't assume wiper blades were changed.

Going to do the whole lot tomorrow AM - clean with TFR, clean with Glass Cleaner above, finish off with Glass Compound.

Finally fit new wiper blades.

Have to drive out Connemara, it's bound to be wet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Looks like the cars been through an all over wax car wash, hence the smeary screen. New wipers and a clean should fix it but try to avoid the all over wax car washes.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Looks like the cars been through an all over wax car wash, hence the smeary screen. New wipers and a clean should fix it but try to avoid the all over wax car washes.

I've had it since the summer and didn't notice anything. But I think you're right, and it's my own fault.

I only ever use power-hose / 2 bucket etc. method (never an auto wash), but I give it a coat of: https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/autoglym-polar-seal

'Avoid direct contact with windscreen' :pac:

Very surprised the TFR didn't remove it, though. Anyhow, no harm in new wiper blades coming into the winter. I just need to be very careful when applying the Polar Seal in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What you have there is bonded contaminants on the outside of the screen. New wipers won't have any effect in bettering it, you have to get rid of the cause.

Here's what you do:

- Clay the glass
    - Apply a cutting polish (I use Menzerna 3500) preferably with a polishing machine as by hand won't have enough power
    - Remove polish residue with the likes of Gtechniq Panel Wipe/CarPro Eraser
    - Apply a coat of quick detailer product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4TBR7TRGJc

chris fix windscreen cleaning, might be an idea.

• Advertisement

kaahooters wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4TBR7TRGJc

chris fix windscreen cleaning, might be an idea.

Using wax on glass is not a good idea. Also, that video doesn't address John's issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Using wax on glass is not a good idea. Also, that video doesn't address John's issue.

Why do you think that? Any of the automated car washes spray on cars as a final stage. It's not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Had that for months on my car it drove me crazy. Went back to the aul ways, rubber gloves, boiling water with a drop of vinegar and newspaper, clean as a whistle, no product, nothing on the glass at all for me from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

What you have there is bonded contaminants on the outside of the screen. New wipers won't have any effect in bettering it, you have to get rid of the cause.

Here's what you do:

- Clay the glass
    - Apply a cutting polish (I use Menzerna 3500) preferably with a polishing machine as by hand won't have enough power

Lol

kaahooters wrote: »
    Why do you think that? Any of the automated car washes spray on cars as a final stage. It's not an issue.

And what are you left with after this only a layer of cheap, streaked wax across your windscreen.

McCrack wrote: »
    Lol

:confused:

I fail to see the humour in what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Here's what you do:

- Clay the glass

100% agree with this post ^^

McCrack wrote: »
    Lol

???
    What method would you suggest?
    Or what do you find wrong with proper advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Had wax on my windscreen and after trying many different things, this got it off without too much elbow grease:

1. Wash with neat screen wash. Rinse.
    2. Polish with surgical spirits. It's a slight abrasive, so avoid getting neat surgical spirits on the paintwork. No need to use a huge amount either. Just put some on a cloth and srub the windscreen with it. When done, rince.
    3. Wash off the remaining surgical spirts with neat screen wash. Rince.
    4. Don't use the old wipers. They have wax on them and will smear the windscreen again. I couldn't get the wax off mine despite washing them multiple times. Just dump them and get new ones.

Windscreen comes up very well.

Here's what you do:

- Clay the glass

Many thanks. I notice you mention Menzema 3500 - wonder is there much difference in the McGuires Glass Compound?

I have 3m Finesse-It handy - would that be OK to use on glass?

Those are all fine to use John. I just use the menzerna because it’s the finest polish I have. I also use carpro ceriglass especially for removing scratches.

Those are all fine to use John. I just use the menzerna because it’s the finest polish I have. I also use carpro ceriglass especially for removing scratches.

Cheers.

I notice you say 'polish' rather than 'compound' - Is it safe to use Finesse-It on the windscreen? It's a finishing compound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

I had similar issue and couldn't sort it. It seemed like oily residue from road spray. Used oven cleaner foam spray. Cheap, easy and worked. Also I used neat windscreen washer to clean wipers.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Cheers.

I notice you say 'polish' rather than 'compound' - Is it safe to use Finesse-It on the windscreen? It's a finishing compound.

Polish/compound =basically the same thing. A compound usually refers to a heavy cutting polish.

UPDATE: Problem solved!

I'm not saying that this way is right or wrong, it's just the method I followed... and it worked.

Wash windscreen with TFR (Making sure not to get any on the paint)
    Clay windscreen
    Machine compound windscreen with 3M Finesse-It x 2
    Fit new wipers

As it was so cold / damp out, I couldn't wipe the residue compound off, I had to wash it off with water and a microfibre cloth.
    Again, as it was cold, I didn't use any window cleaner on the windscreen as it wouldn't dry with a wipe.

Now, the only thing is.... The windscreen no longer 'beads'... it just looks like un-loved paint and the water 'hangs' there when I pour the hose over it. To be honest, i'm reluctant to put any water repellant product on it (It was a liquid wax that caused the issue in the first place).

I might use Meguiars Sealant as 'tinternet seems to rate it highly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJnaY6Lnn-0 - Opinions?

I'll be careful with that liquid wax (Autoglym) in future... I might even just not use it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

UPDATE: Problem solved!

I'm not saying that this way is right or wrong, it's just the method I followed... and it worked.

Wash windscreen with TFR (Making sure not to get any on the paint)
    Clay windscreen
    Machine compound windscreen with 3M Finesse-It x 2
    Fit new wipers

As it was so cold / damp out, I couldn't wipe the residue compound off, I had to wash it off with water and a microfibre cloth.
    Again, as it was cold, I didn't use any window cleaner on the windscreen as it wouldn't dry with a wipe.

Now, the only thing is.... The windscreen no longer 'beads'... it just looks like un-loved paint and the water 'hangs' there when I pour the hose over it. To be honest, i'm reluctant to put any water repellant product on it (It was a liquid wax that caused the issue in the first place).

I might use Meguiars Sealant as 'tinternet seems to rate it highly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJnaY6Lnn-0 - Opinions?

I'll be careful with that liquid wax (Autoglym) in future... I might even just not use it anymore.
    Good job,
    I use Angelwax H2Go, It is well rated but there are others available.

John, don't put anything like wax or Meguiars Sealant on it.

If you can, get Gtechniq G1. For the windscreen, 3 coats will last you up to 2.5 years. You'll thank me for it - on the motorway you'll barely need your wipers because the water just flies off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Had that for months on my car it drove me crazy. Went back to the aul ways, rubber gloves, boiling water with a drop of vinegar and newspaper, clean as a whistle, no product, nothing on the glass at all for me from now on.

Diluted white vinegar is the bomb for cleaning windscreens, better than most if not all of the fancy expensive products.

It's good for cleaning nearly everything else too, a highly underrated, very cheap product.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

John, don't put anything like wax or Meguiars Sealant on it.

If you can, get Gtechniq G1. For the windscreen, 3 coats will last you up to 2.5 years. You'll thank me for it - on the motorway you'll barely need your wipers because the water just flies off.

The windscreen is currently free of all chemicals / waxes and i'm not inclined to put anything on it! It looks 'boring' when it rains as no beading etc. but the wipers work perfectly, so I can see in the rain!

Regarding G1 - I'm considering having the whole car compounded / polished / ceramic coating in the new year. If I go down this road, i'll ask about G1 for the windscreen.

The windscreen is currently free of all chemicals / waxes and i'm not inclined to put anything on it! It looks 'boring' when it rains as no beading etc. but the wipers work perfectly, so I can see in the rain!

Regarding G1 - I'm considering having the whole car compounded / polished / ceramic coating in the new year. If I go down this road, i'll ask about G1 for the windscreen.

In that case, get Gtechniq QD and apply it to the windscreen in order to bring back some beading. Having no beading on the windscreen can be dangerous. I know that when I used cerium oxide on my 335 it removed the beading and the water just sheeted and it was dangerous because when I used the wipers, it was like I didn't use them at all...constant sheet of rain on the screen.

In that case, get Gtechniq QD and apply it to the windscreen in order to bring back some beading. Having no beading on the windscreen can be dangerous. I know that when I used cerium oxide on my 335 it removed the beading and the water just sheeted and it was dangerous because when I used the wipers, it was like I didn't use them at all...constant sheet of rain on the screen.

I meant, that, if the car is static and it rains, there's just a lair of water on the windscreen. However, if i'm in the car and I use the wipers, the wipers now give a clean sweep and clears the windscreen... don't really see any issue with this, it just doesn't look nice :pac:

I'm away next week until some time in January, so on my return, i'll be giving it to someone (need to find someone reliable in Galway) to give the whole car a good treatment... whatever that may be.

• Advertisement

FB Auto Detailing (Gtechniq Accredited)
    Unit 8 Kilkerrin Park,
    Liosban Industrial Estate,
    Galway
    T: 087 327 2729
    E: info@fbdetailing.ie

FB Auto Detailing (Gtechniq Accredited)
    Unit 8 Kilkerrin Park,
    Liosban Industrial Estate,
    Galway
    T: 087 327 2729
    E: info@fbdetailing.ie

Took a visit to him. Very sound guy. Recontacted him to confirm a date but never heard back.

I'll get in touch with him in January

Advertisement