Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eir d2000 speed + Netgear Orbi

• 01-11-2019 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello all,

I have searched the forums for all these queries I have, but have just ended up more confused!

I recently signed up to eir (house was refurbished/rewired and had to get them to reconnect me to network, was told I had to use them as provider). I installed the very uninspiring looking D2000 modem that they supplied to me yesterday and am receiving speeds of 6mb through both wi-fi and directly through ethernet into the modem, decreasing to 1mb wi-fi speed on ground floor of house (3 storey house with AP on second floor). This is in a house that is a 10 minute walk from the centre of Cork city. Does anyone know if this will improve in time? According to the Fibre availability map I am in the middle of a triangle of 3 cabinets that are available for FTTH but line checker is telling me I can only get speeds of 15mb in the house. This is not good as 1) it is 2019 2) I am effectively in a city centre location and 3) I work from home and need fast internet. If anyone has any help here I would really appreciate it as I am googling myself to death with no luck.

This leads me to my next question. If I was to buy a Netgear Orbi mesh system or similar would that improve the speed of my internet at all? I obviously don't fancy spending the guts of €400 on the system if I still get terrible speeds after installing it. I also have a Fritzbox 7430 that I tried setting up as a repeater but to no avail as of yet but will try again tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you learned folk can impart my way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ethernet cable between eir router and orbi.

I get 146 steady on WiFi. Have 150 FttH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Enter your Eircode here and post the various results

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CJITI

Enter your Eircode here and post the various results

Thank you. Only option available to me is:

VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available at maximum 15M/3M

House is still a building site so if there needs to be engineer work or whatever done then I would like to have it done sooner rather than later!

Ethernet cable between eir router and orbi.

I get 146 steady on WiFi. Have 150 FttH.

Thanks. I'm just worried that if I splurge on the Orbi or some such that I will only get a negligible increase from my existing (see terrible) internet speed of 6mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

CJITI wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm just worried that if I splurge on the Orbi or some such that I will only get a negligible increase from my existing (see terrible) internet speed of 6mb.
    Correct, that user gets 150MB over his Orbi... because he has 150Mb from his provider... you have a maxium of 15Mb but the most expensive router in the world won't increase those speeds for you - that can only come from your ISP.

A mesh WiFi network is a must over 3 floors but if possible (since the house is a buildng site), I'd recommend installling / running CAT5e / 6 cable to each floor so the mesh can have a true LAN backhaul (max speed available to each floor / access point). Its very cheap cable (just labour costs really) and completely worth it and will make the absolute most of your limited 15Mb internet (the Eir router is awful as well, using that just as a bridge is recommended).

Personally, I used Google Mesh WiFi but other good units are the TP-Link Deco M3/M5.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Correct, that user gets 150MB over his Orbi... because he has 150Mb from his provider... you have a maxium of 15Mb but the most expensive router in the world won't increase those speeds for you - that can only come from your ISP.

A mesh WiFi network is a must over 3 floors but if possible (since the house is a buildng site), I'd recommend installling / running CAT5e / 6 cable to each floor so the mesh can have a true LAN backhaul (max speed available to each floor / access point). Its very cheap cable (just labour costs really) and completely worth it and will make the absolute most of your limited 15Mb internet (the Eir router is awful as well, using that just as a bridge is recommended).

That is music to my ears as our electrician has rewired the place with CAT6 cable already, phew. Perhaps a cheaper alternative to the Orbi mesh system may be better for now. If you had any links to how to bridge the d2000 to another router that would be great as I can only find links on how to do so with the f2000. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

TP-Link Deco M4 - 3 units for £142 / €165 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543/
    TP-Link TD-W9970 Modem / Router - £33 / €40 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M

I don't think you can easily bridge the D2000 (unlike the F2000) but since it's an awful device on it's own, it might be easier to just get a new simple matching VDSL router off Amazon too. Above is the TP-Link TD-W9970 for just €40 that is fully compatible with the ISP and will be immediately put into Bridge mode (or as they call it, Modem only mode) so you won't even need to fit the antenna they provide.

Phone Cable --> TPLink Modem (Bridge) --> TPLink Deco 1 --> CAT6 Floor 1
    CAT6 Floor 2 --> Deco 2
    CAT6 Floor 3 --> Deco 3

Great stuff. I'm off to Amazon so. Will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Mesh system to broadcast 15 Mbps around the house?!

alec76 wrote: »

I'd like to hope that the line speed will improve in the future based on location of the house and there are also deadspots all over it due to it being 3 storey with some walls being 1.5-2 foot thick. If there are other, cheaper alternatives than a mesh system then please let me know!

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »

If anything, mesh wireless is the exact thing he needs so he can make sure he can get the absolutely maximum throughput to all of his house. If he had 20% of a 100Mb connection for instance from a standard router, then he may get a flaky 20Mb depending on location - but he doesn't and won't for a while... and I'd take a solid 15Mb, near 100% signal strenth over AC Wi-Fi all day every day over a hit or miss connection from a cheap ISP router. It's a rather small investment for a solid network... esp. when you consider he may wish to stream internally or share files across his network as well.
    If there are other, cheaper alternatives than a mesh system then please let me know!
    Don't worry, the Decos are a fantastic mesh system that are on sale, you will not regret that purchase I assure you (esp. with a CAT6 backhaul).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thank you. Only option available to me is:

VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available at maximum 15M/3M

House is still a building site so if there needs to be engineer work or whatever done then I would like to have it done sooner rather than later!

Have you tried your Eircode on Virgin Media?

https://www.virginmedia.ie

All the advice you're being given is useful but it is not going to change the fact that your line is limited to 15/3Mb. It will not improve the speed coming into your home.

Both open eir and SIRO are building FTTH networks in urban areas but there is no guarantee that your home will be covered and even if it is it may be months to years before fibre arrives.

Another option might be looking into broadband products from the mobile network operators but this is not something I'm overly familiar with so you'd need the advice of others.

Have you tried your Eircode on Virgin Media?

https://www.virginmedia.ie

All the advice you're being given is useful but it is not going to change the fact that your line is limited to 15/3Mb. It will not improve the speed coming into your home.

Both open eir and SIRO are building FTTH networks in urban areas but there is no guarantee that your home will be covered and even if it is it may be months to years before fibre arrives.

Another option might be looking into broadband products from the mobile network operators but this is not something I'm overly familiar with so you'd need the advice of others.

Virgin a total no go I’m afraid, according to their website at least. Sky and Eir the only options and Eir told me that I had to use them as ISP as they were reconnecting the line. It’s a seriously old line coming into the house itself, wonder if that has anything to do with it? Mind boggling how anywhere so close to a city centre could be getting such poor line speeds. Infuriating in fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wait for black Friday Amazon warehouse deals. I got sender unit and satellite reasonably. Gets the signal to the end bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably direct fed if those cabs are within 1000m of you.

Speeds wont improve until you get FTTH. That could be 3yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Home plugs seems to be a good job. Ethernet is king. If you wiring up a house I highly recommend you should wire these cables in. I got this done when my own house was repaired and done up 9 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Look outside for the old UPC/Cork Multichannel Co-Ax cable, ask your neighbours as well.
    If necessary keep a lookout for a VM van working on the cable in your vicinity.
    Even if your Eircode does not show up on the VM website you might still get connected.

65535 wrote: »
    Look outside for the old UPC/Cork Multichannel Co-Ax cable, ask your neighbours as well.
    If necessary keep a lookout for a VM van working on the cable in your vicinity.
    Even if your Eircode does not show up on the VM website you might still get connected.

To be honest I should be able to get Virgin here (according to the eircode I can’t) but in certain parts of the house I can see Virgin WiFi networks available that must be in nearby houses? Had a tech from eir our yesterday and he said I’m too far from exchange to get high speed. Bit of a farce really, don’t fancy spending €500 a year for 6mb Internet I can only use in about 3 rooms in the house.

Advertisement