Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Mining and Statistical Analysis - Bayes' Theorom

Options
  • 01-11-2019 12:45am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Catchy thread title, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever created an application or script to gather data and then conduct a statistical analysis? I'm using Bayes' theorem, which is quite an easy or simple concept to grasp.

I'm developing a script in Java to gather some horse racing data, such as odds, previous odds and other historical data points. The longest part of my little project was finding somewhere I could source the data, as some book makers have a tendency to shied this data from such endeavours.

Once I determine the relevant data points, I can then conduct the appropriate analysis, then spit the results out in to a csv for clarity.

Anyone else every do anything similar, even as an exercise in keeping skills fresh or learning new skills?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've got into the habit of analyzing problems by looking for patterns in data.
    Then throwing it into some sort of visualization to see patterns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Would generally recommend python for statistical analysis and research. It has a huge wealth of libraries, and jupyter notebooks are great for this kind of thing.

There's a pretty big community with lots of blogs and content out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

You might look here for relevant courses.

I did a course on Getting started on data science course.
    We used, (were introduced), to "R" which could be downloaded free of charge here .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

deconduo wrote: »
    Would generally recommend python for statistical analysis and research. It has a huge wealth of libraries, and jupyter notebooks are great for this kind of thing.

There's a pretty big community with lots of blogs and content out there too.

Thanks for the info. A little bit of over kill at the moment for what I want to do. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Talisman

It sounds like you're describing my college project that's due in 5/6 weeks! We're using R which is pretty trivial to code and generates nice graphs. For me sourcing and scrubing the data is where the work lies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I see R popping up an awful, so I might have a craic at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I see R popping up an awful, so I might have a craic at it.

I used the rvest library in R the other day to scrape data tables from the web, with a bit of googling and trouble-shooting.

Advertisement