Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I’m only getting offer of free 7 day trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m only getting offer of free 7 day trial.

That’s the standard trial period. You get free access for 1 year if you’ve bought an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac or Apple TV after Sep 10th 2019.

If you’ve an Apple Music student account you also get free access.

Otherwise it’s a 7 day trial and then €4.99 a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can you set up separate user profiles for ATV+? Apple have a lot of confusing support documents that don't seem to be able to answer this simple question or guide you through how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Can you set up separate user profiles for ATV+? Apple have a lot of confusing support documents that don't seem to be able to answer this simple question or guide you through how to do it.

I think the way Apple wants people to do it is through family sharing? (But while you could share an Apple TV or a Mac amongst the different family accounts, I don’t think the same is true for an iPhone or an iPad)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think the way Apple wants people to do it is through family sharing? (But while you could share an Apple TV or a Mac amongst the different family accounts, I don’t think the same is true for an iPhone or an iPad)

I have tried this. Family Sharing in my iPhone settings shows TV channels as off, but when I tap into it just opens the TV app. No option to turn it on.

• Advertisement

Family sharing is supposed to work, that's the way apple want it. However, family sharing is only available to paid/free 1-year accounts. If you're using a student apple music sub then you only get a single account to access Apple TV+.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Family sharing is supposed to work, that's the way apple want it. However, family sharing is only available to paid/free 1-year accounts. If you're using a student apple music sub then you only get a single account to access Apple TV+.

That explains it. I suspected as much.

Although the lack of content is a little off-putting, I have to say I'm really enjoying the service so far. Specifically The Morning Show, that's the best of the bunch for me and one of the better shows I've watched recently. I've also watched See and For All Mankind which are decent but not anything special imo.

Looking forward to whatever gets added in the coming months, Servant and Truth Be Told look decent. I've also The Elephant Queen added to my watchlist. If I didn't have free access I wouldn't pay for it being honest, not without a back catalog of extra content. But for free, it's definitely a welcome addition for me.

Anyone else find a show won’t hold its place if you pause and the device locks? Back to the start every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I’m a bit confused every movie I click on costs money, 12.99 to watch Wayne’s world or am I missing something? Yes I’m subscribed I got 12mts free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’m a bit confused every movie I click on costs money, 12.99 to watch Wayne’s world or am I missing something? Yes I’m subscribed I got 12mts free.

Unfortunately they've mixed in the free Apple TV+ television shows with the rest of the catalogue of stuff that you have to pay to watch. There are only around 6-7 free shows at the moment which is why I presume they've mixed them all together as the library would look pretty bare if they just listed the Apple TV+ stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cheers I better delete it before the kids get as it, had assumed it was like Netflix etc.

Cheers I better delete it before the kids get as it, had assumed it was like Netflix etc.

I haven't tried but I'd say it'll ask for your password if you inadvertenly select a title that has a fee. I doubt it'll start playing immediately and charge your account.

I haven't tried but I'd say it'll ask for your password if you inadvertenly select a title that has a fee. I doubt it'll start playing immediately and charge your account.

Yes - haven't tried myself either as I have little interest in the content, but I'd say in terms of requiring a password it will behave as per these settings: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204030

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Was going to sign up to this for the free trial. Created an apple id, now I'm being told I also need to set up an iTunes account?! No thanks, I'm out.

Was going to sign up to this for the free trial. Created an apple id, now I'm being told I also need to set up an iTunes account?! No thanks, I'm out.

An Apple ID is an iTunes account.

Edit: Like Mr.S just said. :p

An Apple ID is an iTunes account.

Edit: Like Mr.S just said. :p

That's what I thought but when I try to sign in, it says I need an iTunes account like its not recognising the id.

"Before you can sign in on the web, first sign in to the Apple TV app on your iPhone or iPad. On a computer, sign in to Apple TV or iTunes."

I don't have an apple device, all android and no access to computer apart from work desktop. You'd think they'd want to encourage new sign ups rather than make it unnecessarily difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

"Before you can sign in on the web, first sign in to the Apple TV app on your iPhone or iPad. On a computer, sign in to Apple TV or iTunes."

I don't have an apple device, all android and no access to computer apart from work desktop. You'd think they'd want to encourage new sign ups rather than make it unnecessarily difficult.

If you have an Android phone you could create an iTunes account through the Apple Music app if you download the app from the play store or you could also do it through iTunes on the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is being reported today that less than 10% of those who can get Apple TV+ for free have taken it up.

I can't imagine there has been a get take up from paid customers either.

• Advertisement

It is being reported today that less than 10% of those who can get Apple TV+ for free have taken it up.

I can't imagine there has been a get take up from paid customers either.

Surprised at that, especially since Apple pushed it hard to users. Still, 10% of the roughly 80-90 million devices Apple sold is still a large number of customers.

Rob McElhenry from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has a new show starting this Friday. Trailer doesn't look great though but I see they guy Abed from Community is in it so I'll give it a go.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

DubDJ wrote: »
    Surprised at that, especially since Apple pushed it hard to users. Still, 10% of the roughly 80-90 million devices Apple sold is still a large number of customers.

It's a pretty low number really, when you consider it's free for these people.

I am not overly surprised. The content (of which they have quite little) is not that exciting.

I haven’t opened the app since the morning show ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

I watched all of The Morning Show. Got bored 3 episodes into Dickinson. Haven’t used it since.

pad199207 wrote: »
    I watched all of The Morning Show. Got bored 3 episodes into Dickinson. Haven’t used it since.

Content definitely is an issue. I don’t think many people would pay for it at this stage. I am sure they are aware of it, but they have to seriously up their game before the trials expire at they end of this year or they will lose most subscribers.

They clearly do not want to do that for their own reasons, but IMO they should licence content (especially movies) rather than just relying producing their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Need to get it on more devices. Why do you think Spotify and Netflix do so well. They are seamless to use and on everything.

That’s not how Apple work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That’s not how Apple work though.

Apple are changing, 5 years ago you wouldn't have said Apple would have a Music App on Android, or that FireTV, Roku, Samsung TVs would have an Apple TV app and iTunes Video apps.

They need the service on as many platforms as possible. Doing the 2019 and above TVs is not enough.

I'm still quite enjoying AppleTV+, finished The Morning Show and half way through For All Mankind. Two great shows and definitely higher quality than most were expecting in the Apple news sphere.

Want to watch See at some point and Rob Mcelhenney's new show coming out on Friday. Spare time is not on my side at the moment though.

• Advertisement

I’m liking it overall, but I can’t say I’d pay for it in its current state.

So far I’ve watched:
    The Morning Show - the best of the line-up so far imo
    For All Mankind - started off slow but found its footing toward the middle and end.
    See - started strong but fizzled out in the end for me.
    Servant - went in with low expectations but ended up enjoying it. Shorter 30 minute episodes make it easy as a quick watch.
    Little America - each episode is a stand-alone story, some were really good, some just ok.

I generally watch a lot of different types of shows so I will say I wouldn’t be the most critical person but I’ve enjoyed four of the shows so far and looking forward to season two of each.

Advertisement