Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is my setup and will powerline ethernet work with it?

Options
  • 01-11-2019 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

There is a fuse box in the house with a switch for the external garage. The garage then has its own fuse box as well.

I'm looking at powerline ethernet adapters to extend the network to the garage. Some of what I read says it might not work if they are on different rings, or go through different circuit breakers. As I understand it my setup has a second circuit breaker connected to the main one, and therefore they would be on different ones? How would you describe my set up in technical terms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Best way is just to test it (but obviously incurs the cost). Depending on your scruples, places like tesco will often take returns with minimal questions if you can't re-purpose them elsewhere in the house. #

FWIW, generally these powerline adapters are frowned upon by the sparks I talk to and can create RF interference.

I've had instances in outbuildings where it has worked and others where it hasn't. It didn't work in my own garage so I use these mounted under the soffits:

https://www.irishwireless.net/rbwapg-60ad-kit

Expensive but they have been rock solid - they do however require Power-over-ethernet (PoE) which means you need a power injector (uses a plug socket to "inject" power into an ethernet cable), or a PoE switch at either end. Simple to do but relies on there being an available socket on each end and there's the additional cost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nothing in your posts suggests that this will not work. I would expect this to be an issue if the garage was on a different phase or was connected to a different supply from the ESB. Drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

2011 wrote: »
    Nothing in your posts suggests that this will not work. I would expect this to be an issue if the garage was on a different phase or was connected to a different supply from the ESB. Drive on.

That's the strange thing in my case. Single phase and same supply but would not pair. I've used them elsewhere in the house and they work fine. Regardless, i'm happy with the Wireless Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered it.

I read that distance, faulty wiring and interference can all be factors so maybe one of those were what stopped it working in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I have 3 or 4 of them around the house and 1 in a shed and all work perfectly from the one at the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It came today. Easy to set up and works better than expected.

The adaptor is in an extension lead because the socket beside the router is obstructed by shelves. Instructions say not to do this but I doubt it makes any difference as the speed is very good. (I understand that surge protectors do interfere with its function though.)

Advertisement