Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Food kitchens, the homeless crisis, can't live in Ireland- its too expensive

Options
  • 31-10-2019 10:48pm

@slydice, what’s your opinion on families in rental assisted accommodation using “Soup kitchens “ like “Sam” simply because they find food expensive to buy. In other words, they are spending their welfare payments on something other than food and then going out at night expecting charities to feed their children?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

@slydice, what’s your opinion on families in rental assisted accommodation using “Soup kitchens “ like “Sam” simply because they find food expensive to buy. In other words, they are spending their welfare payments on something other than food and then going out at night expecting charities to feed their children?

The families who avail of the charities are often those in emergency accommodation where there are no cooking facilities. Try feeding a family well in those circumstances.

The charity that fed that wee lad explained that he was in emergency accommodation and was attending school and that his mother simply wanted him to have a proper meal.

There but for the grace of God go many of us. I hope we find a kinder attitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Graces7 wrote: »
    The families who avail of the charities are often those in emergency accommodation where there are no cooking facilities. Try feeding a family well in those circumstances.

The charity that fed that wee lad explained that he was in emergency accommodation and was attending school and that his mother simply wanted him to have a proper meal.

No one was being unkind

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure they could cook and eat at a parent's house ,
    I've said this a few times ,the majority pay zero contributions to their stays in hotels and b&bs ,no rents ,no utilities and then having all their meals handed to them by others free of charge,
    It's creating an over dependence on aid and others to do everything for theses families who in turn complain the gubberment isn't doing enough for them ,it should be asked where the weekly payments are going

Graces7 wrote: »

The mods must have separated my comment from where I originally posted it. I’m not being unkind. There’s always more to a story than meets the eye. There was more than one photo of the same lad. It was claimed elsewhere that at least one single mother availed of one of these homeless food distribution centers even though she has a home. Her claim was that food was too expensive! We have one of the best welfare states, so there’s something radically wrong when someone cannot live on what they get and feel it ok to take from those with less.
    There was also a Facebook post claiming that a family of seven were given sleeping bags to sleep in a Garda station, yet on investigation, it was found that they had turned down accommodation more than once.

I’m at work now and will try and post links later.

Despite what the thread heading says, I don’t think that it’s too expensive to live in Ireland. People need learn to live within their means.

“ A spokesperson for the Dublin Region Homeless Executive said that “this mother and her children were offered emergency accommodation last night but did not wish to take up the offer”.
    They said that “there are limited accommodation options for this family due to issues arising in previous placements” https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-family-dublin-seven-children-sleeping-bag-council-4845602-Oct2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Gatling wrote: »
    I've said this a few times ,the majority pay zero contributions to their stays in hotels and b&bs ,no rents ,no utilities and then having all their meals handed to them by others free of charge,
    It's creating an over dependence on aid and others to do everything for theses families who in turn complain the gubberment isn't doing enough for them ,it should be asked where the weekly payments are going

So what do you think we should do with the homeless then? Let them all sleep on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Lux23 wrote: »
    So what do you think we should do with the homeless then? Let them all sleep on the streets.

In other countries when housing is too expensive people live with their parents longer. It's not simply a case of a social home or the pavement of O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    In other countries when housing is too expensive people live with their parents longer. It's not simply a case of a social home or the pavement of O'Connell Street.

That's assuming you have parents with the space. In my family, my two brothers still live at home, but I can't see my Mother letting my brother move in a partner or child. There wouldn't be the space to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s funny.
    We listened to teachers who said if you get no education you have nothing.

We busted our guts to work to pay our way through college.

Had desperate troubled times at home to contend with.

Worked poor temporary jobs until we got better ones.

Rented houses where we got and could afford them rather than where we wanted them.

Had only two kids because that’s what we knew we could support properly.

Am now we’re supposed to feel sorry for people who sat on their holes doing nothing for themselves, gained no skills, most likely a string of convictions. Couldn’t keep their mickey in their trousers nor legs crossed long enough to avoid having 6 or 7 kids by a string of different men.
    Turn down free housing in the hopes for better free housing closer to their mates.

People are choosing homelessness asa route to more free houses or even through their poor lifestyle choices.

****it, I switch off now when I see crap about homelessness as a serious issue. I’d say actual homelessness is about 10% of actual numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

You'll get no end of abuse but you are bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You'll get no end of abuse but you are bang on

I don't care...

We as a society havent failed these people..

The vast, vast majority have failed themselves and failed their children.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I don't care...

We as a society havent failed these people..

The vast, vast majority have failed themselves and failed their children.

I got a snatch of a Radio discussion today and one of the contributors was shot down for saying that the government and society hadn’t let those children down. Their parents had. Personal responsibility seems to no longer exist for some.

Lux23 wrote: »

But there not sleeping on the streets the majority of homeless In this country are not living on the streets,

Giving them free accommodation with no financial contribution for rent , utilities ,food ,
    Why then would they want to become self sufficient for finding their own accomodation and food ,

Self declaration of homeless followed by waiting years for a 4eva home while moaning the government are not doing enough for them it's rediculous ,add the fact many supposed homeless families are turning down social housing wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I don’t get the whole food being expensive thing. Takeaway food works out expensive if you are trying to live off it but a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a bag of apples and bananas would be a heck of a lot cheaper, probably as nutritious, doesn’t need to be stored in a fridge or cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Food isn't that expensive.

But renting anything round Dublin is 2 grand a month so there's not a lot left for many folks, and if your on the bottom your going to be squeezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    No one was being unkind

Course not, they were just "asking questions" :rolleyes:
    I'm sure they could cook and eat at a parent's house

Sure of that are you? Do you reckon most homeless families have a handy parent or two that they can just pop into for dinner?

Sure of that are you? Do you reckon most homeless families have a handy parent or two that they can just pop into for dinner?

Yes .

Yes .

Good to see we're not really interested in dealing with the real world here, just performative poor-crushing and shaming

Good to see we're not really interested in dealing with the real world here, just performative poor-crushing and shaming

In the real world, people take responsibility for their own and their families lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What if they do't have a living parent? what if their parents live miles away? people get a bed in a hotel for the night but they get no catering. They do not have an income to enable them to dine in restaurants nor do the have cooking facilities.

What if they do't have a living parent? what if their parents live miles away? people get a bed in a hotel for the night but they get no catereing

They get rooms for years not just a night and many hotels often allow families to have breakfast and provide sandwiches and fruit for school lunches ,
    I've seen this at a particular hotel at newlands cross ,

10,000 living in emergency accommodation ,we know 10,000 aren't being fed in soup kitchens ,if soup kitchens did breakfast and a main meal that mean 20,000 servings everyday,
    It means the majority living in emergency accommodation are feeding themselves and their families ,

Or is it a simple case of why bother when someone else is going to hand you your meals every single day

• Advertisement

They get rooms for years not just a night and many hotels often allow families to have breakfast and provide sandwiches and fruit for school lunches ,

10,000 living in emergency accommodation ,we know 10,000 aren't being fed in soup kitchens ,if soup kitchens did breakfast and a main meal that mean 20,000 servings everyday,
    It means the majority living in emergency accommodation are feeding themselves and their families ,

Or is it a simple case of why bother when someone else is going to hand you your meals every single day

No family gets rooms for years. It is often one room per family and they have to contact hotels daily to ensure a bed for the night. You are extrapolatig what you saw in one hotel to "many hotels" without a shred of evidence. people are feeding themselves from takeaways and convenience shops, often with food of low nutritional value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

In the real world, people take responsibility for their own and their families lives.

Judging on the standard of driving in Ireland I find this hard to believe.

I think that your last sentence hits the nail on the head.
    I can’t find the article where a single mother said that it was cheaper to use soup kitchens rather than buy the food herself. She wasn’t homeless. She was in HAP accommodation.
    The other photos of “Sam” seem to have disappeared too.

No family gets rooms for years. It is often one room per family and they have to contact hotels daily to ensure a bed for the night. You are extrapolatig what you saw in one hotel to "many hotels" without a shred of evidence. people are feeding themselves from takeaways and convenience shops, often with food of low nutritional value.

Erica Fleming and her daughter did.

Erica Fleming and her daughter did.

Did what?

What does this have to do with the presence or absence of a hypothetical parental home that these homeless families are supposedly choosing not to avail themselves of?

Or is this just another post to stick the knife into the indigent?

No family gets rooms for years. It is often one room per family and they have to contact hotels daily to ensure a bed for the night.

That's not true at all ,

Many families are years in emergency accommodation ie hotels several years ,

They don't have to leave and find another room on a daily basis no Idea where you got that idea from

Did what?

Stayed in a hotel for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Why has there never been a proper analysis and background information given to the public about the adults who are homeless in hotels?

I reckon the public mood would change rapidly if people knew the background of these adults.

It’s always one side portrayed and no questions asked.

I reckon there is a lot more to that Sam photo that is been kept from public knowledge

• Advertisement

That's not true at all ,

Many families are years in emergency accommodation ie hotels several years ,

They don't have to leave and find another room on a daily basis no Idea where you got that idea from

Yeah it must be class to be a parent and be made homeless for having a glass of wine or your kid taking his shoes off

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/07/17/homeless-families-say-their-complaints-about-emergency-accommodation-are-ignored

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/01/30/there-s-no-due-process-for-people-being-kicked-out-of-homeless-hubs

Homeless charities and support groups pretty routinely report that the insecurity of temporary accommodation is having drastic psychological and developmental effects on these kids

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsidewest/articles/2019/06/25/4175931-hotel-life-damaging-homeless-families/

Yes, would certainly love to be evicted from my sh1te one-room family home with no cooking facilities because it's Christmas or Paddy's Day and my presence is no longer economically viable (despite these hotels absolutely creaming it off the long-term cash provided by the State to inadequately house these citizens [rather than invest in actual social housing])

Advertisement