Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Food kitchens, the homeless crisis, can't live in Ireland- its too expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yeah it must be class to be a parent and be made homeless for having a glass of wine

What is the actual story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Do we know how many time the staff had complained about them or are we going to believe the only one version of the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Do we know how many time the staff had complained about them or are we going to believe the only one version of the story?

Only ever one version told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Gatling wrote: »
    What is the actual story

DO you have reason to believe the story as told is inaccurate? Other than that "poor people are inveterate liars" ofc

DO you have reason to believe the story as told is inaccurate/quote]

Yes and I'm not the only one .....

• Advertisement

Actually op slydice does not post or reply to queries or questions from boardsies despite posting in other forums

He, she just throws up social media dumps and walks away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes and I'm not the only one .....

So it's
    "poor people are inveterate liars"

then. Thanks for confirming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Course not, they were just "asking questions" :rolleyes:

Sure of that are you? Do you reckon most homeless families have a handy parent or two that they can just pop into for dinner?

Rough sleepers no but a large percentage of the homeless families yes. People are extremely resourceful. It's hard to know for sure but there is some elasticity there.

So it's

What .

It's not my quote nice try

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stayed in a hotel for two years.

Of her own volition- because the rental units the local authority found for her weren't in areas she was interested in, and she made a virtue out of seeking a 'Foreva Home' in a location she was happy with. More fools the council- they got her an apartment, where she wanted to live, to shut her up.

The perception out there is that there is a money tree that can be shaken- and presto no cost associated with any social programmes- shure, everyone can have a house.......... The fact that taxpayers actually have to pay for this largess- is ignored, is inconvenient, is denied and anyone who points out the financial facts of the situation is vilified with vitriol.

There are 800 genuine homeless people in Dublin tonight. Most of them have alcohol or substance abuse issues- and a sizable number of them have moderate to severe psychological and psychiatric issues. These are the genuine homeless people- and they are being ignored.

Its far too easy to label yourself as homeless- and expect the largess of the state be ladled out to you. People need help- we all do- but despicable behaviour to better onesself at the cost to the taxpayer- should not be entertained.

As for Food Kitchens, soup kitchens and the various other organisations such as the Cappoquinn's who hand out boxes of groceries to those who are incapable of affording them themselves- that is a different story.

I personally think that the Deise school model- where children are given a decent breakfast before lessons first thing in the morning, a snack at break and a hot meal before they go home- should be made a universal right for all children in Ireland- across the board.

Food poverty is alive and well in Ireland- even in households with relatively strong household incomes. Children should not suffer- just because the country is so goddamn expensive.

Budgeting- is a game of priorities- and for a not insignificant number of people- food very often is not their no. 1 priority. These people deserve basic help- a la the butter and beef we used hand out. Organisations like the Cappoquinns- who hand out cardboard boxes of basic weekly groceries- should be lauded and financed to do so. Anyone who wants a box of basic groceries- and isn't too proud to seek this basic assistance- should be welcomed and handed it.

As for soup kitchens and the volunteers- they too perform a role- tending to the basic needs of the actual homeless.

The issue here is the definition of homeless- and a lack of intermediate designations- this means the 800 people on the streets of Dublin tonight- do not get taken care of- while Ms. Foreva Home- does.............

• Advertisement

The mods must have separated my comment from where I originally posted it. I’m not being unkind.

That was me- sorry- I should have made a post highlighting what I'd done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It is often one room per family and they have to contact hotels daily to ensure a bed for the night.

I don't think you're aware of how the system actually works. Either that or you're just lying to support your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I personally think that the Deise school model- where children are given a decent breakfast before lessons first thing in the morning, a snack at break and a hot meal before they go home- should be made a universal right for all children in Ireland- across the board.

Sleep poverty is also an issue.

Perhaps we should also put bedrooms in all schools and let the kids sleep there, to make sure they get adequate good-quality sleep.

Voila ... no need for parents at all!

When I see reports of hungry kids I immediately think what are the parents doing with their money.

I don’t automatically blame the government.

We have huge problems with drugs, alcohol, gambling, smoking etc in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

lola85 wrote: »
    When I see reports of hungry kids I immediately think what are the parents doing with their money.

I don’t automatically blame the government.

We have huge problems with drugs, alcohol, gambling, smoking etc in this country.

It's a fairly narrow/simplistic view. The issues are often far more complex than the mother is spending it on drugs.

37e a week doesn't buy much in the way of drugs/alcohol/gambling/smokes.

Your typical middle class professional coke head would snort that in between pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

When I was younger, not so long ago, we had to pay our own way, no helping hand from the state, family always took in their own if they were in dier straits.... Now, it's all the Government fault, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

@slydice, what’s your opinion on families in rental assisted accommodation using “Soup kitchens “ like “Sam” simply because they find food expensive to buy. In other words, they are spending their welfare payments on something other than food and then going out at night expecting charities to feed their children?

The charities know their business and their policy rightly is to feed all who come to them. Not judging, not accusing. THAT is real charity and their free choice. Let them be and support them? They know the families they care for. Or get out there yourself and talk to some of the folk?

And yes I support charities who feed street folk. They are angels.

Graces7 wrote: »
    The charities know their business and their policy rightly is to feed all who come to them. Not judging, not accusing. THAT is real charity and their free choice. Let them be and support them? They know the families they care for. Or get out there yourself and talk to some of the folk?

And yes I support charities who feed street folk. They are angels.

How many of these soup kitchens are registered charities? With proper checks on both people and their cooking facilities?
    When you read that a single mother, living in a HAP supported home chooses to feed her child at a soup kitchen because it’s cheaper than buying and cooking the food herself, someone’s not only taking the Mick, but taking food from others in greater need.

How many of these soup kitchens are registered charities? With proper checks on both people and their cooking facilities?
    When you read that a single mother, living in a HAP supported home chooses to feed her child at a soup kitchen because it’s cheaper than buying and cooking the food herself, someone’s not only taking the Mick, but taking food from others in greater need.

There is nothing to state that the mother living in HAP supported housing- is actually capable, of feeding her child. Its not simply that its cheaper to eat there than buying and cooking at home- how many kids in the 20s and 30s today can't cook to save their own lives? The mother might be able to afford cheap crap food that is of dubious nutritional value- whereas at least the kid is getting a healthy meal in the Cappoquinns (or where-ever).

Money is one aspect of the equation- a basic lack of necessary skills- is another.

I think it would be an excellent idea for local libraries to hold cookery lessons teaching parents basic skills that many of them don't have. They don't need a massive repetoire of dishes- but if single mothers in HAP accommodation could cook Spag Bol, French toast, a curry etc- simple but nutritious dishes- it would be a stepping stone towards helping them towards independence.

The whole system should be set up to encourage people towards independence- while acknowledging that today they may not be in a position to meet their own basic needs. I.e. feed them today- while teaching them how to feed themselves tomorrow.........

There are always going to be people who need to access soup and food kitchens- however, it should be a last resort- rather than something that people are aspiring towards (of course there are poor souls out there who have nothing- for whom a soup kitchen is an aspiration- they're not who I have in mind).

The innocent person in all of this- is the kid- who despite being fed- is being taught that this is what he/she has to aspire towards. That this is being shown to them as a solution rather than a band-aid, is disgraceful.

Soup kitchens- play a very necessary role- however, they only address one aspect of the current problems- by doling out food willy nilly to people who can actually afford to cater for their own needs (a la this woman in HAP accommodation)- they are acting as brake on this person learning how to become more independent.

There is nothing to state that the mother living in HAP supported housing- is actually capable, of feeding her child. Its not simply that its cheaper to eat there than buying and cooking at home- how many kids in the 20s and 30s today can't cook to save their own lives? The mother might be able to afford cheap crap food that is of dubious nutritional value- whereas at least the kid is getting a healthy meal in the Cappoquinns (or where-ever).

Money is one aspect of the equation- a basic lack of necessary skills- is another.

I think it would be an excellent idea for local libraries to hold cookery lessons teaching parents basic skills that many of them don't have. They don't need a massive repetoire of dishes- but if single mothers in HAP accommodation could cook Spag Bol, French toast, a curry etc- simple but nutritious dishes- it would be a stepping stone towards helping them towards independence.

The whole system should be set up to encourage people towards independence- while acknowledging that today they may not be in a position to meet their own basic needs. I.e. feed them today- while teaching them how to feed themselves tomorrow.........

There are always going to be people who need to access soup and food kitchens- however, it should be a last resort- rather than something that people are aspiring towards (of course there are poor souls out there who have nothing- for whom a soup kitchen is an aspiration- they're not who I have in mind).

The innocent person in all of this- is the kid- who despite being fed- is being taught that this is what he/she has to aspire towards. That this is being shown to them as a solution rather than a band-aid, is disgraceful.

Soup kitchens- play a very necessary role- however, they only address one aspect of the current problems- by doling out food willy nilly to people who can actually afford to cater for their own needs (a la this woman in HAP accommodation)- they are acting as brake on this person learning how to become more independent.

I think that you’re right in the fact that so many lack the basic ability to cook meals from scratch. I know from personal experience that they may not want to learn! They want the cooked food handed to them, not the help to cook it for themselves.
    Certain uk red tops have honed in on Sam and the use of soup kitchens in Ireland to push the Brexit agenda. The same kid has appeared in numerous photos, though not always the center of the photo. I’m very suspicious of their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Aspirations you say??????.

Well let's make working less crap - especially the starter jobs that someone on HAP not working might take up.

Bosses who aren't awful to work for. Workplaces that are somewhat okay to work in.

Affordable secure decent housing options for workers.

Opportunities to upskill in terms of work.

How does work become something to dream off.

You need positive role models in the world of worl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Old diesel wrote: »
    Aspirations you say??????.

Well let's make working less crap - especially the starter jobs that someone on HAP not working might take up.

Bosses who aren't awful to work for. Workplaces that are somewhat okay to work in.

Affordable secure decent housing options for workers.

Opportunities to upskill in terms of work.

How does work become something to dream off.

You need positive role models in the world of worl.

I agree with the first half of your post, absolutely. The vast majority of minimum wage/starter jobs are provided by people that treat staff like absolute dirt. And this has absolutely nothing to do with "it'll shape your personality". It's a widespread problem and many people in low-skilled jobs are looked down at, treated badly and can go home to pinch pennies because life is expensive and pay is measly.

That being said as much as the government messes up just about everything, there are a few fantastic schemes to support people to upskill and it's paid for. Springboard+ provides free courses and while the workloads are often very full on, the qualifications are brilliant. Susi provides grants for students, also mature ones. There are a few different allowances you can transfer your JSA or one parent family payment to and you qualify for very cheap childcare.
    While I appreciate that not everyone is capable of third level, there are a lot of options to get education and qualifications under the belt for people that haven't had a good education when young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I see the homeless bashing has been moved from After Hours to Accommodation, a forum full of Landlords?

Hmm, perfect place. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just my 2c, but Bro Kevin* gives out grocery parels to families in need. Its on a no questions asked basis, so theoretically a millionaire could rock in and get a parcel. Its all cook at home stuff, so the food bank isnt really about providing hot meals to people with no cooking facilities (although I think they do that too).

In reality, there may well be a few people who dont need these because theyre starving and take the packages because its cheaper than shopping or because they spent their money on other things. But so what? At the end of the day, its a system in place to get food to those in need it, and thats what they do.

You could be a middle class punter with a big house who suddenly things go wrong and your bank accounts are frozen. Good to know there is a place that you can go where you will get a bag of necessities and a sympathetic smile, rather than having to embarrasingly turn to ones friends and family for assistance.

*for non Dubs, Brother Kevin is an inner city monk who runs the capuchin centre

Just my 2c, but Bro Kevin gives out grocery parels to families in need. Its on a no questions asked basis, so theoretically a millionaire could rock in and get a parcel. Its all cook at home stuff, so the food bank isnt really about providing hot meals to people with no cooking facilities (although I think they do that too).

In reality, there may well be a few people who dont need these because theyre starving and take the packages because its cheaper than shopping or because they spent their money on other things. But so what? At the end of the day, its a system in place to get food to those in need it, and thats what they do.

You could be a middle class punter with a big house who suddenly things go wrong and your bank accounts are frozen. Good to know there is a place that you can go where you will get a bag of necessities and a sympathetic smile, rather than having to embarrasingly turn to ones friends and family for assistance

Or.

You could be a chancer.

Always a flip side to every story.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

lola85 wrote: »
    Or.

You could be a chancer.

Always a flip side to every story.

Cost of doing business I guess. Even if there are a few, it shouldnt prevent the good work being done, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I see the homeless bashing has been moved from After Hours to Accommodation, a forum full of Landlords?

Hmm, perfect place. :rolleyes:

Where is the bashing? Why can't the OP open a debate and have a discussion about this?

Im sure everyone has seen the original photo but there is no context to it.

I have seen the UK media have picked up on it as well and using it for their own agenda. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10162742/homeless-boy-eating-biscuits-crate-dublin-street/

Personally I think the term homeless has become meaningless and used to keep the homeless industry in work.

From April 2019 stats we have 128 rough sleepers in Dublin which is not ideal but many factors contribute to that. https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/about-homelessness/

I see the latest child didn't go viral little homeless princess qued up looking for food along with several other members of her roma family ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think there,s very few familys in hotels relying on soup kitchens .
    The problem is they only have a kettle to make tea.
    they have no kitchen, or acess to a cooker.
    There are dinner centres, where they can go and get a dinner
    for 2 euro ,
    with chairs and table,s like a cafe,
    why queue outside at a soup kitchen in the rain.
    This post sounds like a dig against homeless people by someone who does not know the real situation on the ground.
    there are homeless people who sleep in parks , on a street ,
    or go to a hostel .
    they use soup kitchens .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wouldn't it be good idea for the state to run free budgeting, cooking and nutrition workshops for adults nationally to ensure that people maximised their resources as best as possible. Education should be one of areas supporting parents to feed their kids so that they grow up healthy and can in turn pass on these important life skills to their children.

Advertisement