Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Food kitchens, the homeless crisis, can't live in Ireland- its too expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WE have a housing crisis , even working people find it hard to find a place to rent at a reasonable price .
    X per cent of people of all class,s drink too excess or use illegal drugs,
    We simply need more housing built, for old people, single people, retired people ,more people are becoming homeless because of rising rents .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

riclad wrote: »
    WE have a housing crisis , even working people find it hard to find a place to rent at a reasonable price .
    X per cent of people of all class,s drink too excess or use illegal drugs,
    We simply need more housing built, for old people, single people, retired people ,more people are becoming homeless because of rising rents .

It's not simple though. Who will pay for all these houses? Where does the money come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Apart from a few gowls no one really cares about the so called homeless. The majority are either addicts or lazy layabouts. There's not even all that many of them, just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm sure they could cook and eat at a parent's house ,
    I've said this a few times ,the majority pay zero contributions to their stays in hotels and b&bs ,no rents ,no utilities and then having all their meals handed to them by others free of charge,
    It's creating an over dependence on aid and others to do everything for theses families who in turn complain the gubberment isn't doing enough for them ,it should be asked where the weekly payments are going

The new dependency culture is something to behold in Ireland currently- not only are these spongers drawing down the highest welfare payments in Europe they are now so good for nothing that the state also has to feed, cloth and look after them their endless production of kids. Where the fcuking hell are these lot spending their welfare payments? Or have the bleedin heart brigade taken over to such an extent we’re not even allowed ask anymore? You can do a weeks shopping in any of the discount supermarkets for very little money relatively to years ago and still have plenty left over so long as you shop wisely and properly. It seems to me basic skills like cooking and looking after oneself have gone out the window

Apart from a few gowls no one really cares about the so called homeless. The majority are either addicts or lazy layabouts. There's no even all that many of them, just ignore them.

There are no real homeless just junkies and drunks that can’t function in hostels or homed without either burning them down, pissing everywhere or stabbing other occupants.
    The only ones I feel for are working families struggling to pay private rents and mortgages that could become genuinely homeless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

riclad wrote: »
    i think there,s very few familys in hotels relying on soup kitchens .
    The problem is they only have a kettle to make tea.
    they have no kitchen, or acess to a cooker.
    There are dinner centres, where they can go and get a dinner
    for 2 euro ,
    with chairs and table,s like a cafe,
    why queue outside at a soup kitchen in the rain.
    This post sounds like a dig against homeless people by someone who does not know the real situation on the ground.
    there are homeless people who sleep in parks , on a street ,
    or go to a hostel .
    they use soup kitchens .

Cry me a river.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had this argument with a friend recently, who said that they donate to a local food bank.

I maintained that no-one should be going hungry in Ireland in the 21st century.
    If they are, they are more than likely spending their money on the wrong things.

Am I being too simplistic?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I had this argument with a friend recently, who said that they donate to a local food bank.

If they are, they are more than likely spending their money on the wrong things.

You are.

Because 10,000 Irish people sleep on the streets every night and are starving.

Not even remotely- you're absolutely spot on- I get those "help" leaflets in the door from local TD's - 2 pages of various "entitlements" every layabout can claim. Sweet FA mention of us crucified taxpayers funnily enough. That's where we are at. Politicians are feeding off the dependency culture and encouraging it in a vicious cycle- if you speak the truth and call out the farce you're writing your political p45.
    That's before you get to the leeches like Peter McVerry living off the charity and "homeless" business

lola85 wrote: »
    You are.

Sorry but that is totally incorrect.

• Advertisement

Sorry but that is totally incorrect.

:)

Wouldn't it be good idea for the state to run free budgeting, cooking and nutrition workshops for adults nationally to ensure that people maximised their resources as best as possible. Education should be one of areas supporting parents to feed their kids so that they grow up healthy and can in turn pass on these important life skills to their children.

You'd have to make them compulsory to attend- no attendance no free money. You're correct there's a total disconnect between basic domestic and societal skills and a certain large cohort of the population that's only growing.

You are.

Starving me hole- what are they spending their welfare payments on exactly? If they're also "homeless" they must be saving a small fortune not spending anything on accommodation of food???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

road_high wrote: »
    Starving me hole- what are they spending their welfare payments on exactly? If they're also "homeless" they must be saving a small fortune not spending anything on accommodation of food???

To think that the welfare budget is 20 billion ,how the feck have we so many that apparently cannot feed themselves

Gatling wrote: »
    To think that the welfare budget is 20 billion ,how the feck have we so many that apparently cannot feed themselves

Apparently we mere taxpayers aren’t allowed ask- just sit back and watch your monthly deductions stump up. The gratitude you’ll receive is endless whining and demands for even more. Need a hard right govt in this country that’ll take a tough line on welfare. Unfortunately not on the horizon as the nampy pampy narrative reigns supreme

Sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Apparently we mere taxpayers aren’t allowed ask- just sit back and watch your monthly deductions stump up. The gratitude you’ll receive is endless whining and demands for even more. Need a hard right govt in this country that’ll take a tough line on welfare. Unfortunately not on the horizon as the nampy pampy narrative reigns supreme
    This is a demografic and cultural problem in most European welfare nations (Ireland is not alone) where people that receive from the state vote and are a majority of the voters, they will always vote for more. Just think about the following groups: pensioners, state employees, students, long term unemployed, "single" mothers, disabled, ... They are either a majority of the voters or very close to a majority and they take from state coffers more than what they put in, they will vote for more not less.
    Ireland is lucky that it does not have a strong narrative (yet) against multinationals and globalization since it has benefited enormously from both in terms of direct investments and corporate tax receipts, when this narrative comes (it is when, not if) it will be game over for growth like it is in most west European nations.

GGTrek wrote: »
    .... when this narrative comes (it is when, not if) it will be game over for growth like it is in most west European nations.

Well I will accept this, as long as the house I have bought, the pension I have paid into, and savings that I have built up over many years are left alone for me and my family to survive off, rather than be taken off me in taxes to pay for those who didn't give a %&*£ and relied on the state to raise them and their offspring.

Its time those people got a rude awakening, rather than those who worked all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You are.

I know this post has been quoted a few times but it needs to be acknowledged how totally and utterly wrong you are here. There are just over 100 people sleeping on the streets in Dublin on a given night.

The 10,000 you reference are staying in a lot of different places that aren't their own home but they are not sleeping on the streets and they are not starving (unless they spend their money in such an irresponsible way that they fail to buy food). Do you understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I know this post has been quoted a few times but it needs to be acknowledged how totally and utterly wrong you are here. There are just over 100 people sleeping on the streets in Dublin on a given night.

The 10,000 you reference are staying in a lot of different places that aren't their own home but they are not sleeping on the streets and they are not starving (unless they spend their money in such an irresponsible way that they fail to buy food). Do you understand this?

Do you understand that this is totally unacceptable to most people and must be fixed by having them in their own homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Do you understand that this is totally unacceptable to most people and must be fixed by having them in their own homes?

You must have meant to quote someone else, because you're not responding to anything I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

You must have meant to quote someone else, because you're not responding to anything I said.

I was responding to your post in which you seemed to indicate that it was ok to have over 10,000 people homeless in Ireland. It is not acceptable to anyone I know, Just because they are not all on the streets does not make make it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sarcasm.

What are they spending their benefits on Lola?
    203 per claimant
    134 dependent partner/spouse
    34 per child under 12
    37 per child over 12
    22.50 fuel allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You are.

There aren’t 10000 people sleeping on the streets. In the whole country there’s a couple of 100 with addiction problems who won’t go into the shelter provided for them.
    Why are you talking rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

bismillah arrahman arraheem

a few begrudgy type posts on this thread!

newsflash: did you ever wonder why the richest people are the ones who give most to charity?

im gonna get technical with you now on economics theory - having a welfare state keeps ireland rich. the money gets fed in at the bottom through welfare payments, is spent in shops etc providing essential liquidity to our very small nation here of only 4million people, and then it filters up to the top. meanwhile govt is getting 23% vat on each transaction, going to pay 40% of workers saleries or whatever percentage of the workforce are in the civil service.

without that liquidity businesses would be going bust by the wayside very quickly. businesses need that cashflow to buy stock, invest in themselves, etc. do you want a lot of the shops to close or what?

yeah there's going to be abuse of systems like ours but same as running a shop youll have a bit of pilfering but in both cases it will be insignificant.

if someone is asking for it, it means they need it, otherwise they wouldnt ask.

as a nation we probably could be a bit more compassionate. seriously guys and gals people dont realise how bad it is until you start talking to homeless people yourselves or if you yourselves end up in that situtaion. i mean is it okay for people to be dying on our streets? next time you pass a person begging just give them 50 cent or whatever, or even better buy them a sandwich - why the heck wouldnt ya do it? no big deal to you but it could be life and death to them

Seriously lads my post was tongue in cheek!

I know the whole homeless nonsense in Ireland is a scam and myth.

splinter65 wrote: »
    There aren’t 10000 people sleeping on the streets. In the whole country there’s a couple of 100 with addiction problems who won’t go into the shelter provided for them.
    Why are you talking rubbish?

It was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lola85 wrote:
    I know the whole homeless nonsense in Ireland is a scam and myth.

Its not really, we really do have serious accommodation and housing issues, and it looks like we re hell bent on doing nothing about it

john4321 wrote: »
    Where is the bashing? Why can't the OP open a debate and have a discussion about this?

Im sure everyone has seen the original photo but there is no context to it.

I have seen the UK media have picked up on it as well and using it for their own agenda. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10162742/homeless-boy-eating-biscuits-crate-dublin-street/

Personally I think the term homeless has become meaningless and used to keep the homeless industry in work.

From April 2019 stats we have 128 rough sleepers in Dublin which is not ideal but many factors contribute to that. https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/about-homelessness/

I posted the Opening comment in another thread in reply to a poster who posts reams of homeless figures every month without them actually commenting themselves. The mods felt it worthy of it’s own thread.

I have seen one other photo of “Sam” which, along with those in the Sun article make me believe them to be staged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are.

There are between 760 and 800 people on the streets most nights.
    Few of them are starving.
    Most of them have addiction issues (mostly alcohol) alongside a not inconsiderable number of them who have moderate to severe psychological and psychiatric issues.

The other 9,200'ish people- are those who have somewhere to go.
    It may only be temporary in nature and not where they want to be.
    However- equating them with the 760'ish people actually on the streets is a massive disservice to the true homeless people of Ireland- and draws the scarce resources into areas that they shouldn't be focused on (such as Erica Fleming's Foreva Home campaign).

We need to focus on the true homeless people- and provide them with the services, facilities and amenities to better themselves so they are not destitute sleeping on the streets.

Everyone else needs to be redesignated as something other than 'homeless'- because, frankly, they are not homeless.

We have abused the term 'homeless' to the utter detriment of the actual homeless- we need some intermediate status for people in precarious existences- who are not truly homeless. I am not saying they are underserving of our sympathy or help- I am however stating that a not insignificant cohort of them are 'homeless' in order to access resources that they would not otherwise be entitled to.

We need to focus on our homeless issue- and we do have a homeless issue- however, it is not the issue the media like to bleat about.

Advertisement