Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Food kitchens, the homeless crisis, can't live in Ireland- its too expensive

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

We need to focus on the true homeless people- and provide them with the services, facilities and amenities to better themselves so they are not destitute sleeping on the streets.

Everyone else needs to be redesignated as something other than 'homeless'- because, frankly, they are not homeless.

You're complaining about an issue that isn't actually an issue.

"Homeless" means people without a secure place to live.

This can be subdivided into the "housing insecure" (self explanatory), and rough sleepers , who are what the average clueless punter might equate with the word "homeless"

All representatives for homeless charities continually make a clear distinction between the 2 groups, and both groups reflect a serious problem in Irish society with interlinked and related causes and context.

I acknowledge this is paddling upstream in a thread which is mostly focused on rationalising inequality and human suffering, not to mention a few posts of blatant anti-Roma racism and xenophobia. Good stuff lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Erica Fleming became homeless due to the way private sector rents went beyond her ability to pay.

She felt that going on HAP meant she was at risk of homelessness again.

She wanted to exit homelessness ONCE and not re enter it.

What no one explained to Erica or anyone else from what I can see is......

What happens if your HAP tenancy ends due to no fault of your own.

When Erica was being "offered" HAP there was 1 and two year leases floating around for HAP apparently.

I know that Part 4 should override that 1 or 2 year lease but when people like Erica see a 12 or 24 month lease - all they see is - I could be homeless in 12 or 24 months.

Edit I don't know the specific lease that would have been offered to Erica - how long or short it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I posted the Opening comment in another thread in reply to a poster who posts reams of homeless figures every month without them actually commenting themselves. The mods felt it worthy of it’s own thread.

I have seen one other photo of “Sam” which, along with those in the Sun article make me believe them to be staged.

The charity vouched for the genuineness of this lad. They knew him, knew he was in emergency accommodation and that he was able to attend school. And they fed him. Which is what this is all about. Or should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don’t get the whole food being expensive thing. Takeaway food works out expensive if you are trying to live off it but a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a bag of apples and bananas would be a heck of a lot cheaper, probably as nutritious, doesn’t need to be stored in a fridge or cooked.

Bread and peanut butter etc is fine for breakfast. but what about the other 2 meals? For children especially. Try living on what you suggest for a couple of days? Cold comfort.

The charities know what they are doing and why. The begrudgery is not coming from the experts. Most of the food they use comes from supermarkets donating their near to sell by date stock ; excellent policy avoiding waste.

In Ballina, for example, Tesco give all their near sell by date food to Vincent de Paul, who run a food bank, a Lunch Club. Their charity shop always has a shelf full of free food.

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

The charity vouched for the genuineness of this lad. They knew him, knew he was in emergency accommodation and that he was able to attend school. And they fed him. Which is what this is all about. Or should be.

Charities use the photos that will pull at the heart strings most. Very little was written about the girl in the princess dress at Halloween. Is that because of her nationality?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Bread and peanut butter etc is fine for breakfast. but what about the other 2 meals? For children especially. Try living on what you suggest for a couple of days? Cold comfort.

The charities know what they are doing and why. The begrudgery is not coming from the experts. Most of the food they use comes from supermarkets donating their near to sell by date stock ; excellent policy avoiding waste.

In Ballina, for example, Tesco give all their near sell by date food to Vincent de Paul, who run a food bank, a Lunch Club. Their charity shop always has a shelf full of free food.

All very admirable but when you read of families using soup kitchens because it’s cheaper than buying food for themselves, you have to wonder. Though, personally I thought that there was too much sweet stuff, like biscuits and doughnuts being given out.
    Have we reared a generation unable or unwilling to care for itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

lola85 wrote: »
    It was sarcasm.

It didn’t transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The primary issue is peasants are appalling woth managing their money or our money !

Priorities, latest phone, expensive runners made in Bangladesh for a few cent and bought here for a hundred euro! Expensive sky packages and takeaways!

Throwing more of the hard working broke taxpayers money to fund this lunacy , is a disgrace and certainly not the answer. School meals would be a help , breakfast, lunch and maybe even a dinner they could take home etc. you can’t blame the kids, many of these parents shouldn’t be met near looking after a goldfish, never mind a human!

We live in an extraordinary country! It’s the only county on the planet where a media wouldn’t question what these people have done to end up in the situation!

Spread your legs and free house for life, no lpt, no management fee, paid for by working people in **** living situations who may never own a home or one as nice. 500,000 houses beside nut grove shopping centre being given to wasters , 500,000 , so come up with a 50k deposit , all of the other fees. Most expensive mortgage rates in Europe. Throw on another half a million for interest over thirty years. That’s after tax! You’ll sure as hell be earning over the threshold to be paying the marginal tax rate , so fifty percent over a pittance!

Rte should do something radical. A documentary on the plight of the working poor here ! And how billions a year of their taxes are funding an immoral and corrupt circus , with many creaming it off financially and benefitting from this crisis , like peter Mc verry etc !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

bismillah arrahman arraheem

a few begrudgy type posts on this thread!

newsflash: did you ever wonder why the richest people are the ones who give most to charity?

im gonna get technical with you now on economics theory - having a welfare state keeps ireland rich. the money gets fed in at the bottom through welfare payments, is spent in shops etc providing essential liquidity to our very small nation here of only 4million people, and then it filters up to the top. meanwhile govt is getting 23% vat on each transaction, going to pay 40% of workers saleries or whatever percentage of the workforce are in the civil service.

without that liquidity businesses would be going bust by the wayside very quickly. businesses need that cashflow to buy stock, invest in themselves, etc. do you want a lot of the shops to close or what?

yeah there's going to be abuse of systems like ours but same as running a shop youll have a bit of pilfering but in both cases it will be insignificant.

if someone is asking for it, it means they need it, otherwise they wouldnt ask.

as a nation we probably could be a bit more compassionate. seriously guys and gals people dont realise how bad it is until you start talking to homeless people yourselves or if you yourselves end up in that situtaion. i mean is it okay for people to be dying on our streets? next time you pass a person begging just give them 50 cent or whatever, or even better buy them a sandwich - why the heck wouldnt ya do it? no big deal to you but it could be life and death to them

Laughable. If taxpayers could hold onto more of their money. It would simply be spent in other areas. The bookies, pubs, take aways and jd sport would be down a few euro alright !

I love the attempted justification for having many working people fcuked . They aren’t more worthy of a comfortable life than the ridiculous transfer of wealth from these relatively poor themselves people to the idol wasters ?

These people may well have fallen on hard times , but they need a hand up. Not cradle to grave handouts, paid for by the working rich on 20-30k etc in Dublin !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Charities use the photos that will pull at the heart strings most. Very little was written about the girl in the princess dress at Halloween. Is that because of her nationality?

In fairness though, could you imagine the backlash charities would get by using a foreign child of a minority that's notorious for being poor, trafficked and involved in all sorts of small-fry criminality?
    There would be just about no sympathy.
    Charity funding is tough business and they need to be careful with their marketing just like a normal company.
    I briefly worked with fundraisers from Focus Ireland and you wouldn't believe how much abuse they were getting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement