Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Drive Turbo questions

Options
  • 01-11-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭

Folks
    My turbo is on it’s last legs (I think) so I’m just researching what to buy next.
    I know next to nothing about turbos and don’t have a power meter so train with HR at the minute.

I definitely want a direct drive but can’t see me using Zwift or similar apps.

I’ve come across this Elite Direto.

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-direto-ots-2-percent-turbo-trainer

Question are as follows………
    Can this be used without the 3rd party apps like Zwift etc? Does it need to be connected to these types of training apps in order to get power read outs etc
    Can I do an FTP test on this turbo linked above (it had an integrated power meter) and train to power without connecting to Zwift / Trainer Road?
    How does the resistance on the above turbo change without being connected to the 3rd party app?
    Is it a case that the resistance increases / decreases as fan speed does??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I can't say I've used the app but they do have their own MyEtraining app.

Resistance is magnetic as far as I'm aware and can be adjusted in the app this part is free. I think it's the power modes you have to pay for.

In my opinion if you weren't planning on using zwift,trainer road you may well be better off keeping/buying a dumb trainer and investing in a power meter.

As for the trainer itself I have one and happy enough with it. I had a tacx flux s before hand and whatever you do don't buy one of those as the build quality is crap I returned 2 of them before I got the direto.

There's a few clips on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNhwva_6Mss&t=6s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I can't say I've used the app but they do have their own MyEtraining app.

Resistance is magnetic as far as I'm aware and can be adjusted in the app this part is free. I think it's the power modes you have to pay for.

In my opinion if you weren't planning on using zwift,trainer road you may well be better off keeping/buying a dumb trainer and investing in a power meter.

Cheers!
    So resistance needs to be manually adjusted?
    When you say power modes what do you mean exactly (set to a certain power is it?)
    How much is the cost of that?

(that info may well be in the link you posted but at work at can't hear ;-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

You can pair your trainer with garmin and ride routes you have on it. Trainer will adjust resistance. You should also see power reading on your garmin.

G1032 wrote: »
    Cheers!
    So resistance needs to be manually adjusted?
    When you say power modes what do you mean exactly (set to a certain power is it?)
    How much is the cost of that?

(that info may well be in the link you posted but at work at can't hear ;-) )

I think the power modes are basically setting up a predefined programme that you follow intervals on although I couldn't be sure I just see it as an option when I click on the app.

As for cost, no idea but I'd imagine trainer road would be a better investment if you're not into the distraction zwift offers through simulation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is this a good deal on a direct drive

Tacx
    T2900 FLUX Smart

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/tacx_t2900_flux-smart

Wouldn’t want to have to return it though!

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Is this a good deal on a direct drive

Tacx
    T2900 FLUX Smart

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/tacx_t2900_flux-smart

Wouldn’t want to have to return it though!

They're a pile of ****e I wouldn't recommend. I had two of them both faulty and returned due to poor assembly,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    They're a pile of ****e I wouldn't recommend. I had two of them both faulty and returned due to poor assembly,

I read something similar but was wondering was there an improvement in production since then.

godtabh wrote: »
    I read something similar but was wondering was there an improvement in production since then.

I believe they released a v2.0 but the build quality is still poor, I think it's main intention was to allow for a larger rear mech. In saying that you only ever hear the bad I'm sure there's good ones out there.

The search goes on. Hopefully Black Friday has something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Can you sync your training frin myetraining with Garfmin connect. I have a free 1 year subscription with myetraining but I like having a record of everthing on garmin as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mf1000

Can you sync your training frin myetraining with Garfmin connect. I have a free 1 year subscription with myetraining but I like having a record of everthing on garmin as well.

The simplest thing here would be to pair your Garmin computer with the trainer. IIRC, the trainer transmits the following Ant+ profiles:

1. Smart trainer
    2. Power
    3. Speed
    4. Cadence

Pair your gGrmin with the power, speed and cadence 'sensors'.

Hint: don't pair with the trainer profile. Otherwise, the Garmin will take control of the trainer and myetraining may not be able to change the resistance.

mf1000 wrote: »
    The simplest thing here would be to pair your Garmin computer with the trainer. IIRC, the trainer transmits the following Ant+ profiles:

1. Smart trainer
    2. Power
    3. Speed
    4. Cadence

Pair your gGrmin with the power, speed and cadence 'sensors'.

Hint: don't pair with the trainer profile. Otherwise, the Garmin will take control of the trainer and myetraining may not be able to change the resistance.

Is this possible on a Garmin Watch? I have the 735x.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mf1000

Is this possible on a Garmin Watch? I have the 735x.
    It depends very much on what Garmin has designed the watch to do. Running watches can often pair with speed and cadence sensors but not powermeters. Tri watches may be able to pair with powermeters too.

The watch will have a menu in the settings where it can be paired with sensors. Turn on the trainer and see what the watch picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Step into 2002 :pac:

mf1000 wrote: »
    It depends very much on what Garmin has designed the watch to do. Running watches can often pair with speed and cadence sensors but not powermeters. Tri watches may be able to pair with powermeters too.

The watch will have a menu in the settings where it can be paired with sensors. Turn on the trainer and see what the watch picks up.

Thought it was working but I might have done something wrong. I'll give it a go again tomorrow as I reckon we're facing a deluge so I'll be turboing in the sun room.

Advertisement