Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged wisteria

Options
  • 01-11-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭

I have a wisteria, fairly mature, which had to be unwound from the structure it was on in order to mend the structure. Mostly it came off fine, but in one place a fairly major branch split at a junction and came apart with a long split down a main stem.

I have bound it tightly with soft string, I clamped it temporarily as I went to make sure it joined closely. The job was reasonably successful and most of it the bark is touching on both sides in a tidy join, and I have reinforced the junction. The string will have to come off in a season, but hopefully it will have mended itself. I will make sure the junction is supported long term.

Is there anything else I can do? Should I cover the join with something? Is this process any way correct - I was making it up as I went along :D

Comments

wax ?

Its what they use when grafting to root stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a good point, its pretty much a graft that I have created, that would have been easier to check up than 'broken branch split down the middle' :D Thank you, I will check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

We bought a Wisteria sapling (~ 2ft tall) online from the Netherlands in 2018. When it arrived the main stem had snapped but not completely. I called the supplier who sent on another one to us. However, I decided to strap the joint like you describe and low and behold we now have two plants growing well. The damaged part is well healed and just has a bit of swelling where it was broken. Hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The wax may work but often a tight binding on a fresh split will heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Grafting tape. Amazon is pretty cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement