Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Probably the worst beer hall beer in the world.
    I really like the market and the atmosphere it brings to town but why couldnt they get something more unique for the beer tent even some local brews.
    I'll be giving the beer tent a miss for another year.

Prob the most underwhelming Christmas market in the world. Sold out again this festive season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

GY A1 wrote: »
    What time is the opening on

530-730

Stuck my head into the beer tent there, can confirm carlsberg and carlsberg unfiltered being served in litre glasses.

Galway Christmas market aka the annual plastic junk sales frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I actually drink Carlsberg normally but even I think they having it as the beer for the beer tent is a bad idea. It goes stale and flat, especially in a litre stein glass.

I remember 5+ years ago and they had German beer. It was like rocket fuel! Maybe that's why they got a more generic brand as the people are sober-er leaving!

• Advertisement

The market really is ruined by the fact a few grass living idiots managed to prevent the market being setup properly.

The paths were absolutely packed and hard to get around and loads of empty space on the grass. If the stalls and beer tent were on the grass it would free up so much space for people to walk around.

The market really is ruined by the fact a few grass living idiots managed to prevent the market being setup properly.

The paths were absolutely packed and hard to get around and loads of empty space on the grass. If the stalls and beer tent were on the grass it would free up so much space for people to walk around.

Why have the main thoroughfare In the city& the grass destroyed for 6 months of the year all to grease carlsbergs coffers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

F**king Carslberg! At least O’Connells are doing steins of Erdinger but still a pain the tent isn’t like it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Redo91 wrote: »
    F**king Carslberg! At least O’Connells are doing steins of Erdinger but still a pain the tent isn’t like it used to.

Nox is right in that saving the grass ruined the market. The big (was it french?) Baked good tent that was there the first few years didnt come back since it was butchered back into tiny stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

FYI, St Nicholas Christmas Market will run from December 14 to 22 and there is always a great selection of pressies available. There's food stalls too and it has a lovely atmosphere. Support the traders there who have been slogging it all year round, come rain or sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nox is right in that saving the grass ruined the market. The big (was it french?) Baked good tent that was there the first few years didnt come back since it was butchered back into tiny stalls.

jesus i didn't realise people were so put out by those of us who like to enjoy the square from march until sept/oct and not see the centre of the city looking like we can't even maintain a small patch of grass

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Enjoying Eyre Square in March, 2018 edition:

495480.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is it true you have to pay into the market? I heard that but don't think they'd do that.

Enjoying Eyre Square in March, 2018 edition:

495480.png

ya, very funny, you can post all the freak weather photos you like but the simple fact remains that the last time the grass was used for the Christmas market the centre of our city looked disgraceful right up until the following May/June, thankfully that was the end of it and in 4 months time I'll be able to enjoy the simple pleasure of relaxing while sitting on the grass in Eyre sq again

dinneenp wrote: »
    Is it true you have to pay into the market? I heard that but don't think they'd do that.

if they thought they'd get away with it they would

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dinneenp wrote: »

No it's not true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Went into the market on Saturday. First time I have been in Galway around Christmas in about 4 years. I think it's a big improvement on 2015, at least. I like the layout they have a lot better. Some of the crafts around are fairly nice. Didn't have any of the food this time and I'm off the drink but it looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nothing says Xmas Market like a stall selling shower heads alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Walked through on opening night - great atmosphere.

Huge Q for the Beer Tent so i'll hold off visiting until the hype calms down.

It's an asset to the city, IMO. If for nothing more than to bring people into town for a wander around, you'll end up spending a few quid *somewhere*. And if not, sure isin't it something to do for the evening.

You won't please everyone, c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

galwaybabe wrote: »
    FYI, St Nicholas Christmas Market will run from December 14 to 22 and there is always a great selection of pressies available. There's food stalls too and it has a lovely atmosphere. Support the traders there who have been slogging it all year round, come rain or sunshine.

Ah, the now annual tradition of trashing the Christmas market while praising the other one, as they are there through pure altruism and service to the city rather than trying to make a few quid, same as the Christmas one.

I dream of a day when peace can reign between these seemingly irreconcilable foes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Mr_A wrote: »
    Ah, the now annual tradition of trashing the Christmas market while praising the other one, as they are there through pure altruism and service to the city rather than trying to make a few quid, same as the Christmas one.

I dream of a day when peace can reign between these seemingly irreconcilable foes.

Inspired by WW1 I shall organise a soccer match on Christmas Day along shop street (no-market-land) to start a truce between the traders. When Christmas lights switch on again next year the battle recommences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Inspired by WW1 I shall organise a soccer match on Christmas Day along shop street (no-market-land) to start a truce between the traders. When Christmas lights switch on again next year the battle recommences :)

Not gonna lie, I'd watch that

If anything, the Christmas Market guys face on average worse weather, and therefore are the real heroes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

If anything, the Christmas Market guys face on average worse weather, and therefore are the real heroes here.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that there is an international weather line between Eyre Square and Mainguard St. How silly of me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot that there is an international weather line between Eyre Square and Mainguard St. How silly of me

I think the point is that it's no fun standing out EVERY DAY for almost a month in the middle of winter (No money would encourage me to do this)

But sure that'd make sense :pac:

witaf are you on about?

pure.conya wrote: »
    witaf are you on about?

It was a reference to the comments up thread (and indeed in previous threads) about the permanent market people being out in all weathers. Which of course the Christmas market guys are too and they aren't around for the pleasant summers days.

It was a reference to the comments up thread (and indeed in previous threads) about the permanent market people being out in all weathers. Which of course the Christmas market guys are too and they aren't around for the pleasant summers days.

but the comments above were highlighting that the local market traders in St Nicholas market are there all winter long, 52 weeks of the year, hail rain or shine

You asked what the joke was about about and I explained it. Time to move on I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement