Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton AS2000XT Tripping Power

Options
  • 01-11-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Hi my shower keeps tripping its own trip switch.

It turns on and off ok with the on / off button but when I pull the chord after a shower the trip switch is tripped when I go to have the next shower.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What amp trip switch does it have?

Can you post photo of pull cord switch?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Generally caused by the pump windings shorting to earth. A new pump will probably sort it.

Generally caused by the pump windings shorting to earth. A new pump will probably sort it.

It's not tripping when the shower & motor are running. OP turns off the shower without issue. It's only when they use the pull cord switch that it trips. Much more likely the pull cord switch.

I am curious about the pull cord switch & trip switch though. I have seen electric showers replaced with power showers and the same 45 amp pull cord switch is used & the 40 amp RCBO is used. I'm hoping OP comes back & says that it's not a 40amp RCBO as this isn't suitable for a power shower.

• Advertisement

Ginger83 wrote: »

If you can turn on the shower, have a shower & then turn off the shower, all without the trip switch tripping then I'd be inclined to rule out the shower altogether.

You say that it trips when you pull the cord to isolate the shower. This would suggest the issue is most likely at the pull cord switch.

I can't give you any advice from here except you could replace the pull cord switch & see if that fixes the issue or call a REC & he'll test everything to determine the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I experienced once something like this, a long time ago

It involved failure of wiring within the isolation ceiling switch enclosure.

No RCD.

Power to shower via earth , or some way like that, do not remember all the details

I think this shower should not be used until the wiring to the isolation switch is checked.

Probably needs an electrician, I think.

I now remember signs of burning at the pull cord switch associated wiring - possible break in neutral- may not apply here- but that is my memory

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Electrical problems are normally solved by a process of elimination. In this case it is either the shower unit or the wiring that is faulty. Either way electricity and water can be a dangerous mix. My advice would be to get a qualified electrician to look at it.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If you can turn on the shower, have a shower & then turn off the shower, all without the trip switch tripping then I'd be inclined to rule out the shower altogether.

You say that it trips when you pull the cord to isolate the shower. This would suggest the issue is most likely at the pull cord switch.

I can't give you any advice from here except you could replace the pull cord switch & see if that fixes the issue or call a REC & he'll test everything to determine the problem.

I can pull the chord and press the on button and have a shower and turn off. When I pull the chord the next day it is tripped.

Ginger83 wrote:
    I can pull the chord and press the on button and have a shower and turn off. When I pull the chord the next day it is tripped.

No one can say for sure without actually testing the pull cord switch & shower. I'd put money on, that it's not the shower but without being there to test it, it's impossible to say with certainty.

Best advice is to call in a REC.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No one can say for sure without actually testing the pull cord switch & shower. I'd put money on, that it's not the shower but without being there to test it, it's impossible to say with certainty.

Best advice is to call in a REC.

Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps isolate the power via the MCB at your distribution board
    Then remove the cover from your cord-operated ceiling switch in order to look at the terminals and wiring to this switch.
    just visual inspection closely.

Any signs of overheating/burning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Faulty RCBO is another remote possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

i did a google on this and it seems DP switching-off can cause this

i'm not sure how common it is,i don't recall the issue

test final circuit wiring

try replace switch

test/replace rcbo

would be the procedure anyhow

Any update on this?

It would be good to get an update. Given the fact that tripping only occurs when the pull cord switch is operated to isolate the circuit, it would seem that cord action causes an earth fault. Or a neutral to earth connection.
    It seems to me that it would be important to replace the ceiling switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hesker

adrian92 wrote: »
    Given the fact that tripping only occurs when the pull cord switch is operated to isolate the circuit.

Are you sure the op said that. I read it that when he next goes to use the shower it has tripped sometime after he last pulled the cord to turn it off. Not that it immediately tripped

hesker wrote:
    Are you sure the op said that. I read it that when he next goes to use the shower it has tripped sometime after he last pulled the cord to turn it off. Not that it immediately tripped

OP pulls the pull cord switch off. The next time he goes to turn it switch on he finds the fuse tripped. This is my understanding. OP doesn't explain if fuse trips instantly or just sometime over the next 12 hours. I think electrician should be called ASAP and not left on the long finger.

As the shower is isolated at the time of tripping I figured it can't be the shower.

Ginger, When you switch off the shower do you always use the switch on the shower? Or do you use the ceiling pull cord switch to turn off the shower?

Advertisement