Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing wall lights in a new build

Options
  • 01-11-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, looking for a bit of reassurance/advice.

I've recently bought a new build. The master bedroom is wired for 2 wall lights and I've bought the wall lights I wish to install. My DIY knowledge on the electrical front is quite basic but it's seems like it's all set up for me and looks simple enough. I've attached a picture of the set up coming out of the wall and of the light fixtures.

My question is (after I've killed the power at the fuse box) should I take the 6 wires out of their housing and connect into the light fixtures housing or leave them the way the electrician has them and just add in the light fixtures wires?

Seems a bit too easy, am I completely overlooking aspects that need to be considered?

Any advise appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

No picture attached, probably as you are a new user. You might have to post the link a different way.

Hard to tell exactly as I can't see it, but usually you would just connect the wires from wall straight into your fitting.
    The electricians housing is probably just a strip of connectors in a box for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmy Kane

Yeah I can't post pictures or even links to pictures as I'm a new user....any other workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Take the wires out of their existing connection and connect directly into light fitting

Thanks for the replies. So it's okay to put 3 earth's into the one place? And two neutrals? Out of interest what is the reason for 3 earths?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Jimmy Kane wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. So it's okay to put 3 earth's into the one place? And two neutrals? Out of interest what is the reason for 3 earths?

Protective conductor + neutral point to point

BR/E to switch or other point

Advertisement