Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends boxing 02/11 Taylor v Linardatou, Canelo vs Kovalev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

3-1 Kovalev

These DAZN commentators are a farce, blowing their load whenever Canelo takes a step forward. Kovalev well in control. Admittedly he's gonna need to send Canelo to the pathologist for a post-mortem to get the win here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I have it 4 2 to kovalev after 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

These DAZN commentators are a farce, blowing their load whenever Canelo takes a step forward. Kovalev well in control. Admittedly he's gonna need to send Canelo to the pathologist for a post-mortem to get the win here.

Sergey needs to finish him. Dazn has a lot of money behind canelo. Wouldnt rely on the cards

5-3 Kovalev

• Advertisement

I think we all know what happens if it goes to cards

I can see the ref deducting kovalev a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

Jesus christ canelo just sparked a light hw clean out

Not shocked to be honest. Kovalev is fragile and even though I had him up, fought like a guy who knows he's fragile. Extremely safety first. Canelo won't be going near Beterbiev on that showing thats for sure.

Favourable cards to Canelo again too.

EIbVEeoXUAAek6Z?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

Morrison J wrote: »
    Not shocked to be honest. Kovalev is fragile and even though I had him up, fought like a guy who knows he's fragile. Extremely safety first. Canelo won't be going near Beterbiev on that showing thats for sure.

Favourable cards to Canelo again too.

EIbVEeoXUAAek6Z?format=jpg&name=small

Absolute ****e, kovalev is still elite in his division and as for Beterbiev what other fighter is expected to move to weights up to fight the best in the division? Canelo is just that good

Margate wrote: »
    Absolute ****e, kovalev is still elite in his division and as for Beterbiev what other fighter is expected to move to weights up to fight the best in the division? Canelo is just that good

Kovalev wouldn't beat Bivol or Beterbiev and a fight against Gvozdyk would probably be 50/50 at best. He's definitely not elite in his division anymore if he's the 4th or 5th best fighter in it.

It's a great win for Canelo regardless given the weight class. Just saying if he bites off any more than what he did tonight he's getting beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That was looking like a draw to me before the stoppage tbh, Canelo was landing all the clean punches but Kova was pawing away at him all fight with his jab. Kovalev is after getting very boring to watch lately it's nothing but a jabfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Kovalev is past it no doubt.
    He used to be the Bully. Remember him against Pascal and Hopkins? He was always the dominator and he set the pace in fights.
    Last night Canelo, a middleweight, bullied Kov.

I don’t like this respectful Kovalev at all, he used to be such a mean fighter and person. I think he knows he is very vulnerable now. The tank and the chin have gone.

Canelo caught him at the right time. The cards posted above show Canelo was never losing this fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He used to be the Bully. Remember him against Pascal and Hopkins? He was always the dominator and he set the pace in fights.

I don’t like this respectful Kovalev at all, he used to be such a mean fighter and person. I think he knows he is very vulnerable now. The tank and the chin have gone.

Canelo caught him at the right time. The cards posted above show Canelo was never losing this fight.

Dunno what fight you were watching but Canelo didn't bully Kovalev last night, there was a heap of close rounds and had that gone the distance it woulda been a split decision. Kovalev is over the hill but he was taking Canelo the distance until that flash knockout.

Dunno what fight you were watching but Canelo didn't bully Kovalev last night, there was a heap of close rounds and had that gone the distance it woulda been a split decision. Kovalev is over the hill but he was taking Canelo the distance until that flash knockout.

Kovalev in the past would have just walked through him. He was ultra cautious and showing too much respect, wanting to touch gloves at the start of rounds etc.
    He's not the Krusher any more.

I have Kov up going into the 11th but 2 Judges had Canelo 2 up and the other had it even so Canelo was going to win a UD no matter what our cards were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Like I said, it wouldn’t be easy for Canelo.

Quite a tame fight overall.

I had SK 7-3 up after 10. Some close rds in that..

What we saw last night was an over the hill Kovalev. The Krusher was not to be seen. He fought timidly, and was pushed around most of the night by the smaller man. There was no spite/zip on SKs shots.

The Krusher from a few years ago would have put a beating on Canelo..

Nice ending from Canelo, but as much from SKs lack of real conditioning as it was from the shots..

But it was weak weak looking Kovalev compared to his prime years...

Canelo’s team are smart. They watched a very vulnerable Kovalev 10 weeks ago clinging on for dear life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Given his decline and the gruelling fight he had just 10 weeks ago it was an very unwise move for Kovalev to take the fight especially against a fighter as relentless as Canelo is. Kovalev to his credit actually lasted longer than i thought he would,but you could see the end coming from 9 onwards he was tiring badly

His lifestyle in between fights has sped up his decline. At 37 you can't be in top physical shape living like he does

Canelo was far from relentless...

Quite methodical and pedestrian. Not like he put a consistent beating on Kovalev. Yes, he walked him down, but wasn’t really landing all that much..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It makes no sense to say a fighter was taking the fight the distance until they were knocked out.

magma69 wrote: »
    It makes no sense to say a fighter was taking the fight the distance until they were knocked out.

But it’s true...

It was likely going to the cards had SK not got knocked out...

Yes, but he did get knocked out. We get this.

I think the poster was making the point that Canelo was far from superior right up till the KO; this is true. I had him losing.

Quite unimpressed with both men last night I was..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    Canelo was far from relentless...

Quite methodical and pedestrian. Not like he put a consistent beating on Kovalev. Yes, he walked him down, but wasn’t really landing all that much..

He was not landing much, but his pressure was enough to tire out Kovalev
    It demonstrates that you don't really need to be landing to be effective against a fighter who is on the wane. Canelo timed this fight well, a peak Kovalev would have beaten him

He was not landing much, but his pressure was enough to tire out Kovalev
    It demonstrates that you don't really need to be landing to be effective against a fighter who is on the wane. Canelo timed this fight well, a peak Kovalev would have beaten him

I see what you mean. And thought as much, but even his pressure, it was a bit pedestrian really. Far from say a Lomachenko type pressure..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭mjon3105

Agree 100%. Couldnt hear sound very well but i think i heard harper say taylor was the reason she was there tonight, as in being a pro boxer. If i got that right, its a nice compliment. They all owe her because she is creating interest and opportunity for the sport in general if they can keep it going.

Serrano, persoon, braekhurst is a formidable lineup. Will take something to go unbeaten I think.

Some good and interesting posts inc those as usual by walshb. I was at the Manchester Arena on Saturday night, with a group of friends,mainly Irish from Dublin & Limerick and Taylor had a game plan set by Ross Enamait and stuck to that.

She won, of that there is little doubt and the after fight comments in Press Conference by the South American/Greek were truly awful. Not surprised that most of teh Matchroom team left. Her Manager Brian Cohen and Lindardthou herself called Taylor "a fake" and said that this was but a repeat of teh Persoon bout and that it was she and NOT KT that clearly won on everyone's cards but the judges! Luckily most of thepro-Irish crowd had left the arena by then! It was not a 'vintage' KT performance but next up will be Amanda Serrano in MSG on 7th March followed a few months later by a return with Persoon almost certaionly again in Manchester Arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

mjon3105 wrote: »
    Some good and interesting posts inc those as usual by walshb. I was at the Manchester Arena on Saturday night, with a group of friends,mainly Irish from Dublin & Limerick and Taylor had a game plan set by Ross Enamait and stuck to that.

She won, of that there is little doubt and the after fight comments in Press Conference by the South American/Greek were truly awful. Not surprised that most of teh Matchroom team left. Her Manager Brian Cohen and Lindardthou herself called Taylor "a fake" and said that this was but a repeat of teh Persoon bout and that it was she and NOT KT that clearly won on everyone's cards but the judges! Luckily most of thepro-Irish crowd had left the arena by then! It was not a 'vintage' KT performance but next up will be Amanda Serrano in MSG on 7th March followed a few months later by a return with Persoon almost certaionly again in Manchester Arena.

Wasnt much warmth shared between them at the end, linardatou didnt look a happy bunny at all so not surprised to hear that about the post fight press conference. Feck her anyway. If she's deluded enough to think she even came close to winning, that's entirely her problem. I'm fairly confident she was well rewarded for her troubles, thanks to Taylor, so a bit of respect and appreciation would have been nice, but won't lose much sleep over it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

While I disagree about Kovalev being bullied in this fight everything else here is spot on.

I was at the Hopkins fight and he destroyed him. Physically bullied him and basically pummelled him and always credit due that Hopkins finished on his feet. Prime "bully" time and he set the pace and agenda as he was the feared monster. All gone now.

Saw a video of him meeting Canelo in a hotel recently and he was very deferential. Almost like he was glad the Mexican gave him a shot even though he was the Champion. And all the touching of gloves during the fight. Would have loved to have seen this clash 3 years ago.

Anyway Kovalev was awful in his last fight and McGirt is on record as saying he nearly pulled him. The deterioration since the Ward losses has been steep and not all due to father time. I was at the first Ward fight and thought he won it and honestly think he never recovered since losing his 0. Since then mentally he has not been the same what with changing his team and then last year smashing a woman's face in.

But credit where its due on saturday night in what was a very hard to score fight I had him ahead going into the 11th but then that monster left from Canelo looks like it has finished Krusher's career. However he used his jab to great effect and while never hurting Canelo like he used to hurt opponents his efforts were frustrating Canelo. McGirt had him well schooled with a disciplined game plan where he had a height and reach advantage and his conditioning looked to be better too which was impressive given how gassed he was in his last fight 10 weeks prior.

The fight started here at 1.18 am which was the latest I can ever remember and no surprise to hear both fighters had a nap beforehand! This was disgraceful though to make everyone wait for some UFC rubbish to finish.

Yes Canelo has some resume but there will always be question marks over his failed drug tests.

Didnt see Katie's fight live but watched it on youtube later and thought she was very smart this time as her opponent chased her around to not much effect. Dictating from the back foot shows her undoubted class and GOAT credentials. She simply was too slick and smart and the scorecards reflected that.

However the press conference after was staggering for its cowardice. Linardatou launched into a diatribe but only after Katie had left the room. Her American trainer showed a complete lack of knowledge whatsoever on how this sport plays out and is in the same ballbag category as Serrano's dad. Losers complain.

Just like Persoon, a real sore loser. Can’t stand it in sport...

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    While I disagree about Kovalev being bullied in this fight everything else here is spot on.

Just by walking him down, Canelo was bullying him.
    Kovalev was scrambling backwards, pawing out a jab (or at times just a straight arm), holding and generally running around to avoid him.
    Canelo's mere presence scared Kovalev and eventually that tired him out.
    That's bullying.

It was quite pathetic to watch from such a big man, especially one who used to bully guys his own size.

I agree with you that he is a shell of his former self and his confidence is shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just by walking him down, Canelo was bullying him.
    Kovalev was scrambling backwards, pawing out a jab (or at times just a straight arm), holding and generally running around to avoid him.
    Canelo's mere presence scared Kovalev and eventually that tired him out.
    That's bullying.

It was quite pathetic to watch from such a big man, especially one who used to bully guys his own size.

I agree with you that he is a shell of his former self and his confidence is shot.

It’s sad to see such a fearsome operator turn so apologetic. He's well softened up now and I think that should be that. Canelo deserves credit for what he did but is anyone surprised he won?

Advertisement