Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post DCM 19 and beyond

• 01-11-2019 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm going to give this training log a go and see what comes of it.

I have graduated from the Marathon Novice thread for DCM 19. It was my first marathon and I completed in a time of 4:00:09.

A bit of background I suppose, I have been an avid runner for the past 3-4 years. It only really ramped up once I started doing races. My first race was the Half Marathon in Wexford 2017. I completed in 2 hours and 2 minutes. That drove me on to get under the 2 hours. I have twice ran under the 2 hours in 4 attempts, 1.57 in Wexford 2018 and 1.49 in Phoenix park 2018.

This year I made a big push to improve as much as possible. I signed up for the marathon and started to go a gym to build up my core strength in S&C classes 2-3 times a week. I improved my Half time to 1.47 in Wexford in April this year. Then my attention turned to the marathon.

I followed a plan with a few guys in work, along with some help from the mentors in the novices thread. I got to the start line with the hope to go sub 4 hours, but the main objective was to get around in one piece. I managed to complete it in 4 hours and 9 seconds. If anyone wants to read my race report here it is DCM report

The upcoming plan is for to get back to the gym next week and get on the road again for a few light km's. I haven't signed up for any races yet before the year is out or for 2020. My initial thoughts are for Mullingar Half March, Kildare Half June, the Phoenix Park race series, Longwood 3/4 marathon and then DCM 2020. I have signed up for the marathon :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Welcome to the logs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

I went back to the gym last week with 2 S&C classes. I've done 2 runs since DCM. A 5km @ 5.32 per km pace last Wednesday (6th) and a 10km @ 5.47 per km pace yesterday (10th).

Both felt good, probably a touch faster than they should have been but I wasn't pushing myself either. I'm away for a few days now this week. A planned week off with my wife post marathon. So I will get a couple of swims in the pool and a few walks if the weather allows.

I plan on doing a looking up a few plans from the grads forum to nail down my plan for 2020. I'm going to do a couple parkruns before the year is out just to see how the pace is.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

I'm planning on following the Hal Higdon Intermediate 10Km plan. It is as below. I have slightly modified it, I have taken the Monday run out and replaced it with a 60 cross session.

If anyone has any advice/comments on the plan, please do let me. My goal is to beat my PB of 47 minutes.

Week|Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    1|60 min cross |4.8 km run |35 min tempo run |4.8 km run |60 min cross |6.4 km run |Rest
    2|60 min cross |5.9 km run |8 x 400 5K pace |6.4 km run |60 min cross |8.1 km run |Rest
    3|60 min cross |6.4 km run |40 min tempo run |4.8 km run |60 min cross |9.7 km run |Rest
    4|60 min cross |7.3 km run |9 x 400 5K pace |6.4 km run |Rest |5K Race |Rest
    5|60 min cross |8.1 km run |45 min tempo run |4.8 km run |60 min cross |9.7 km run |Rest
    6|60 min cross |8.9 km run |10 x 400 5K pace |6.4 km run |60 min cross |11.3 km run |Rest
    7|60 min cross |9.7 km run |50 min tempo run |6.4 km run |60 min cross |12.9 km run |Rest
    8|60 min cross |4.8 km run |5 x 400 5K pace |4.8 km run |Rest |Rest |10K Race

Advertisement