Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual and single rank rams in dual channel set up

Options
  • 01-11-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi
    Mite be a silly question but cant find a straight answer.

My sons computer currently has 2 4gb dual rank ram sticks at 2400 Mhz in one channel on computer(2 of the 4 dimm slots used) He wants to get some more so i was looking around and seen some single rank sticks 2 * 4gb at 2400 Mhz from same manufacturer and frequency just different ranks. If i got him this and put it in the other channel would it run ok or would it cause problems.

So basically first channel would have 2 * 4bg dual rank sticks and second channel would have 2 * 4gb single rank sticks.

Also if got 2 * 8b single rank instead of the the 4gb would that cause any problems.

Also just in just name (brand) is crucial ballistix sport lt

Any information appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH it's best to always get a matching set of RAM and not deal with single vs dual rank sticks.
    In addition, if they're not matched exactly, things can get a bit wonky.

Considering how cheap a 2x8Gb DDR4-3000 kit is now (£62/€72) you're better off selling the current sticks & upgrading speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    TBH it's best to always get a matching set of RAM and not deal with single vs dual rank sticks.
    In addition, if they're not matched exactly, things can get a bit wonky.

Considering how cheap a 2x8Gb DDR4-3000 kit is now (£62/€72) you're better off selling the current sticks & upgrading speed.

Good point but forgot to mention his mobo supports up to 2400 only.

Advertisement