Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop won't deliver - can I get a refund?

Options
  • 01-11-2019 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I bought furniture in a shop and I didn't have the means to bring it home. They said they'd do their best to deliver it (didn't explicitly say they would) but now saying they won't and I've to organize a courier. I don't think they ever had an intention of delivering it, they just said they'd try so I'd buy the item. If I knew this was the case I wouldn't have bought it, a courier will be almost as much as I paid for the thing!

I've instead asked for a refund and they're only offering store credit. I think I'm entitled to a refund here but can't find anything explicitly on the consumer rights site. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They didn't actually offer delivery so you've no right to a refund, or even store credit. This is assuming you bought in the store and not online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

L1011 wrote: »
    They didn't actually offer delivery so you've no right to a refund, or even store credit. This is assuming you bought in the store and not online.

I bought in store not online. They told me that they'd try to deliver, is that not offering delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

they're only offering store credit. I think I'm entitled to a refund here but can't find anything explicitly on the consumer rights site. Any ideas?

You weren't even entitled to Store credit, till they offered it.

You have 3 choices
    • Arrange transport somehow
    • Take the Store Credit
    • Continue to talk to them in the hope they eventually offer a refund.

I bought in store not online. They told me that they'd try to deliver, is that not offering delivery?

Not really, they offered to "try" and then they reported back to you that the "try" did not suceed.

Ok fair enough so. I'll know better for again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi there,

I bought furniture in a shop and I didn't have the means to bring it home. They said they'd do their best to deliver it (didn't explicitly say they would) but now saying they won't and I've to organize a courier. I don't think they ever had an intention of delivering it, they just said they'd try so I'd buy the item. If I knew this was the case I wouldn't have bought it, a courier will be almost as much as I paid for the thing!

I've instead asked for a refund and they're only offering store credit. I think I'm entitled to a refund here but can't find anything explicitly on the consumer rights site. Any ideas?

Do you have a driving licence or know anyone with one? You can rent a van for €50, that was only booked the day before so could get cheaper, or Go Car do hourly rental of vans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Have to say I am surprised by this, a store shouldn't be able to say they will "try" to deliver something, that literally means they will or they won't based on some undefined whim of the company.

If the store said (verbally) they would definitely deliver it and then reneged would it be the same situation?

If the store said (verbally) they would definitely deliver it and then reneged would it be the same situation?

No, that would be a failure to complete the sale and you'd be entitled to a refund

It's amateur to have happened like this in the first place, but there's plenty of amateurs somehow in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No, that would be a failure to complete the sale and you'd be entitled to a refund

It's amateur to have happened like this in the first place, but there's plenty of amateurs somehow in business!

Why is it “amateur’?

The shop obviously does not deliver, while this is unusual, if they do not advertise or state that delivery is part of the sale, I see no reason for your criticism.

Personally, I have noticed a decline in service like this being provided by retailers, possibly due to cost and/or insurance. Where once items were delivered, brought into the room, unpacked and packaging taken away, now it is mostly curb side delivery by outside contract delivery firms who will not take the item off the van/lorry and will not take packaging away. I suspect most small stores do not have their own delivery staff and cannot afford to pay contractors without charging the customer.

Delivery was not a condition of sale, so looking for a refund or calling them amateurs, is wrong.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why is it “amateur’?

The shop obviously does not deliver, while this is unusual, if they do not advertise or state that delivery is part of the sale, I see no reason for your criticism.

Personally, I have noticed a decline in service like this being provided by retailers, possibly due to cost and/or insurance. Where once items were delivered, brought into the room, unpacked and packaging taken away, now it is mostly curb side delivery by outside contract delivery firms who will not take the item off the van/lorry and will not take packaging away. I suspect most small stores do not have their own delivery staff and cannot afford to pay contractors without charging the customer.

Delivery was not a condition of sale, so looking for a refund or calling them amateurs, is wrong.

Offering to "try" when unable to is amateur. If you don't deliver, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

It could also be described as sharp practice.

• Advertisement

Only to you.

Delivery was not a condition of the sale, any help with delivery would have been a cost free benefit to the op and would have been worth the effort of trying.

To “try” is not to guarantee success, it is only to make a effort.

Only to you.

Delivery was not a condition of the sale, any help with delivery would have been a cost free benefit to the op and would have been worth the effort of trying.

To “try” is not to guarantee success, it is only to make a effort.

I'd be fairly confident the "only to you" applicable here is you not thinking its amateurish.

A shop selling bulky products should be certain whether they can or cannot deliver and not say they'll try to. I really doubt that's an obscure opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like a joke shop.

I'd be fairly confident the "only to you" applicable here is you not thinking its amateurish.

A shop selling bulky products should be certain whether they can or cannot deliver and not say they'll try to. I really doubt that's an obscure opinion!

They are certain they don’t, but they said they would try. Surely you are not saying that a shop which tries to help a customer out, is amateurish? What if they had succeeded?

Who would want to own a shop, when trying to help out a customer is considered amateurish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The shop never said they would deliver. Purchaser bought in the knowledge that they may have to bring item home themselves. Its really not the shops fault.

Who would want to own a shop, when trying to help out a customer is considered amateurish?

Trying, failing and leaving them in an awkward situation.

You find out if you can deliver before making the sale if you want to try help out.
    easypazz wrote: »
    The shop never said they would deliver. Purchaser bought in the knowledge that they may have to bring item home themselves. Its really not the shops fault.

I've never said its the shops fault. I'm saying its an amateur thing to do. Quite different.

No professional operator would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are certain they don’t, but they said they would try. Surely you are not saying that a shop which tries to help a customer out, is amateurish? What if they had succeeded?

Oh for christs sake. Its a furniture shop who couldn't definitively tell the customer whether they could deliver or not, if that isn't amateurish I don't know what is.

You find out if you can deliver before making the sale if you want to try help out.

I've never said its the shops fault. I'm saying its an amateur thing to do. Quite different.

What awkward situation? The op didn’t buy on condition of delivery. The op knew they didn’t deliver, but they said they would try to for him/her, it’s right there in the op.

What is an amateur shop? one that tries to help customers by making an effort to arrange a free delivery when it wasn’t part of the sale? C’mon, trying to help someone out is a good thing, not a bad thing, unless you are L1011.

Oh for christs sake. Its a furniture shop who couldn't definitively tell the customer whether they could deliver or not, if that isn't amateurish I don't know what is.

No, person who hasn’t read the op and comprehended that the shop does not deliver, it’s a shop that doesn’t deliver, but tried to help the op out, two very different things. And in case you missed it, delivery was not a condition of the sale, if it was and the couldn’t deliver, that would be an entirely different matter.

C’mon, trying to help someone out is a good thing, not a bad thing, unless you are L1011.

As I've already said (and other posts here bear out), its quite clear its not just me with this viewpoint.

Now, depersonalise your posting (including the "no silly" bit in your previous post) or stop posting.

• Advertisement

No silly, it’s a shop that doesn’t deliver, but tried to help the op out, two very different things. And in case you missed it, delivery was not a condition of the sale, if it was and the couldn’t deliver, that would be an entirely different matter.
    Let me help you out by highlighting the pertinant points again.
    I know pedantry is your thing but that wasn't really a complicated point.

Let me help you out by highlighting the pertinant points again.
    I know pedantry is your thing but that wasn't really a complicated point.

No, person who hasn’t read the op and comprehended that they don’t deliver, here is the pertinent point from the op, they don’t deliver.

“I bought furniture in a shop and I didn't have the means to bring it home. They said they'd do their best to deliver it (didn't explicitly say they would)”

That most certainly is an uncomplicated point.

No, person who hasn’t read the op and comprehended that they don’t deliver, here is the pertinent point from the op, they don’t deliver.

“I bought furniture in a shop and I didn't have the means to bring it home. They said they'd do their best to deliver it (didn't explicitly say they would)”

That most certainly is an uncomplicated point.

So, a furniture shop, who couldn't definitively say whether it would be delivered or not. Thank you.

So, a furniture shop, who couldn't definitively say whether it would be delivered or not. Thank you.

A shop that does not deliver, but said they would try. Is this complicated? Apparently, trying to help the customer is a sign of amateurism.

A shop that does not deliver, but said they would try. Is this complicated?

You wouldn't think so, but then that's why they should be considered amateurish.

You wouldn't think so, but then that's why they should be considered amateurish.

What is an amateur shop, in your opinion, given that you are so certain in your posts that this is one?

What is an amateur shop, in your opinion

A shop that sells amateurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

How did they leave the customer in an awkward situation?

The customer knew this situation might arise.

And we only have one viewpoint and you keep badmouthing the shop.

I bought something once, shop said they would deliver if a bigger order for my area came along. It didnt, so I sucked it up and arranged a trailer to collect.

Might be a similar situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Up until about 3 years ago, IKEA, the largest furniture shop in the country by a country mile, did not deliver.

They then had "authorised" delivery agents and have only in the last year or so moved to offering their own delivery service.

So a furniture shop without a delivery service is not that unusual and if the OP really wanted the item, a quick look on done deal or adverts would see many "man with van" services.

• Advertisement

Wow this blew up! Thanks all for the input. The end result here is that the shop agreed to deliver it for a fee afterwards and the item has been received.

Some details maybe worth clarifying for better context: When I bought the item the shop said that they would try to deliver the item but said that they didn't have their own delivery service. I said that I wasn't in a position to pick it up myself so a delivery would be required and I would pay for the delivery if necessary. Again I was told that they would try their best but because they didn't do deliveries they'd occasionally employ a courier that they have a contract with. The impression I had was that if they had a contract with a courier then surely it would be fine and there might be a charge but that was ok.

The following day (less than 24 hours later) I received a call from the shop saying that unfortunately they would not be in a position to deliver it. I felt that their 'trying' was a bit lacking and I believe that they had no intention of delivering the item when I bought it but they knew I'd walk away from the sale if they outright refused. I told them that I wanted a refund but they said no but they'd give me store credit. Useless to me if they don't deliver! That's when I opened this thread. I got some quotes from 'man in a van' outfits and priced the hiring of a van but all were much too expensive relative to the value of the item bought.

Anyway long story short after some back and forth they agreed to deliver it for a reasonable fee as I had suggested originally and all has been resolved. In such cases I think that shops should be required to explicitly state whether they provide a delivery service or not, there shouldn't be any ambiguity around it. If they told me outright that no, delivery is absolutely not an option I'd have left it there. If they had said yes I'd have paid the fee and there'd be no issue. Instead they gave me a maybe but with the expectation that something could be arranged which was not the case until I really pushed back on it.

I think that no matter what way you look at it that's a shady thing to do and a refund should be a viable option for the customer in such situations.

Advertisement