Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when someone hits your car while opening their car door?

Options
  • 01-11-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

TLDR: Can you make a claim on someones insurance who damaged your car by opening their door into yours?

I was inside AIB today while my car was perfectly parked outside and when I came out I saw 2 vans parked completely outside their boxes.

I knew straight away that the van closest to me hit me because there was barely any space to open the door. I looked at my paint and there it was... big visible scratch from him opening his door into my car.

I take pride in my car because I worked hard for it and it's always kept clean so I know everytime i get a new scratch. I waited 30 minutes for the **** to come back but no one came. So I just left him my own huge parting gift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

And you’re 100% sure it was the van that did the damage? Did you see it happen or have a witness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BashNode

100% sure. The red paint from the edge of his door was visibly on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Take plenty of measurements and photos and then just claim from the van driver's insurance. Let the insurance companies deal with it after making the claim against the other driver.

BashNode wrote: »
    100% sure. The red paint from the edge of his door was visibly on mine.

That would have nailed the other guy for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My sister claimed of a ladies insurance successfully.

She was sitting parked correctly within the lines in her 6 month old Toureg.

Lady pulled in to space beside her and whatever happened she absolutely hammered her door into the centre of the door of my sisters Toureg.

Sister got out and politely stopped her walking away and pointed out the damage which always significant. The “lady” responded with a tirade of abuse.

Sister photographed both cars extensively. Took the insurance details of the window. Contacted the Garda station locally and asked them to record the report in the day log so it could be referred to if needed.

She contacted the insurance company who had no problems covering the €1800 to re skin and respray the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BashNode

I've never made a claim before so I didn't really know if it would affect my insurance or not. I still dont know if it would or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

_Brian wrote: »
    My sister claimed of a ladies insurance successfully.

She was sitting parked correctly within the lines in her 6 month old Toureg.

Lady pulled in to space beside her and whatever happened she absolutely hammered her door into the centre of the door of my sisters Toureg.

Sister got out and politely stopped her walking away and pointed out the damage which always significant. The “lady” responded with a tirade of abuse.

Sister photographed both cars extensively. Took the insurance details of the window. Contacted the Garda station locally and asked them to record the report in the day log so it could be referred to if needed.

She contacted the insurance company who had no problems covering the €1800 to re skin and respray the door.

Delighted. Far too much of this going on

I've never made a claim before so I didn't really know if it would affect my insurance or not. I still dont know if it would or not.

You don't claim from your insurance. You claim from the third party (the van driver) so it won't affect your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

So I just left him my own huge parting gift.

Sooooo he can sue you too....
    Well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

samih wrote: »
    You don't claim from your insurance. You claim from the third party (the van driver) so it won't affect your insurance.

It will affect your insurance till the claim is closed. Any open claim, regardless of who's at fault, and you can't change insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

thats great but im suprised they didnt look for witness or cctv , i had a similar case but had dash cam footage which nailed them

OP you should have taken pictures and insurance sticker details and claimed off their insurance

far better revenge than doing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is my bugbear OCD item and why I will park either miles away from the shops and have been known to leave car parks if I dont like the spaces. Was parking at the airport a few weeks ago and they were shuffling us all into this overflow bit on top of each other. I just kept driving around causing a nuisence of myself and they ended up opening a section for me so I could get a nice space at the end with no one beside me. I wont park beside a car with a baby seat or booster seats either.

I caught a guy whacking his car door off mine once as I returned out the of shop on a new car I had registered that day. Seems to attract them like flies. Caught him red handed. He thought I was mad. I kept bending down and looking up and down the line of the car and would not let him drive away till I made sure there was no mark.

Glad to know someone claimed on the insurance successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Considering cars are getting wider, and spaces aren't, should there be a soft edge on car doors?
    It wouldn't stop a dent but would stop scrapes..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I was sitting in my car in Stillorgan SC in South Dublin a few weeks back and FOUR times in the space of about 45 minutes, different people hit my car - one of which was a child getting out of the back of a Toyota Starlet and he left a sizeable dent. The thing that annoyed me most was that about 30 seconds before, his mother also hit my car door getting out - no wonder the child was at it.

It's so fuucking irritating. It's not that hard to avoid doing and it causes a lot more damage to cars than people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Main reason I wont buy a new car.
    It would annoy me to no end.
    I'd rather be in a **** box of a car with dents then a new car and be stressed when I go the shop

Wish it was like america for parking. There spaces are massive. You could park trucks in some of the car parking spaces they have and still be in the lines and have room to get out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

I was sitting in my car in Stillorgan SC in South Dublin a few weeks back and FOUR times in the space of about 45 minutes, different people hit my car - one of which was a child getting out of the back of a Toyota Starlet and he left a sizeable dent. The thing that annoyed me most was that about 30 seconds before, his mother also hit my car door getting out - no wonder the child was at it.

It's so fuucking irritating. It's not that hard to avoid doing and it causes a lot more damage to cars than people realise.

And I can guarantee if anyone ever bumped their door by accident the same scumbags would go apoplectic.

high_king wrote: »
    And I can guarantee if anyone ever bumped their door by accident the same scumbags would go apoplectic.

I doubt it, some people don't really care about their cars that much, just a tool to be (ab)used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

bladespin wrote: »
    I doubt it, some people don't really care about their cars that much, just a tool to be (ab)used.

tool or not, it doesn't give you the right to abuse other peoples cars though.

high_king wrote: »
    tool or not, it doesn't give you the right to abuse other peoples cars though.

Never said it did, just pointed out that there are plenty of 'tools' about who think differently about some things, belief and value systems etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

This has happened to me loads of time. But this one particular time really peed me off. Sitting in my car outside college one evening and these four lads come along to get into a piece of sh1t Clio. Dumbass getting into the back hits my front wing then 5 seconds later the driver smacks my door. As usual I gave the dirty look but the driver started laughing so I got out in the pissing rain an videoed him, his reg and his insurance details along with the damage to my own car. Never said a word to him. To cut a long story short, his insurance paid €850 for the damage. I'd imagine the smirk was wiped off his face come renewal time. Inconsiderate assholes like this need to pay for their stupidity.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the smirk was wiped off his face come renewal time. Inconsiderate assholes like this need to pay for their stupidity.

It's probably the only way to change their attitude (though they probably feel hard done by), a stare won't do anything other than amuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

_Brian wrote: »

Lady pulled in to space beside her and whatever happened she absolutely hammered her door
    Grest outcome.

I thought the guards usually just say 'sorry thats as civil matter' and wash thrir hands of these things tho?

Sky King wrote: »
    Grest outcome.

I thought the guards usually just say 'sorry thats as civil matter' and wash thrir hands of these things tho?

They do, but they will record the incident in the daybook so it's a matter of record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Markcheese wrote: »
    Considering cars are getting wider, and spaces aren't, should there be a soft edge on car doors?
    It wouldn't stop a dent but would stop scrapes..

This is a very simple yet great idea!

So what's the process here? I am lucky in that it hasn't happened to me since I upgraded my car but assuming it does...

Can you just contact the insurer of the offending car with all the evidence and they just pay out? It's that simple?

Just take the pics of their car, of your car, of the situation and of their insurance disk? What if you can't see the disk - how do you know who insures them? Can you put in a claim without their say-so?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

What annoys me the most is when people don't do anything to prevent their kids from swinging their car doors open when getting out of the car. I completely get that you can tell kids a million times to be careful and it doesn't always register, but if they cant be careful, use the childlock.

It's happened me three times when I was sitting in my parked car, each with the same result - the mother pretending not to realise their kid banged the door against mine. When I then get out to examine any damage, they just say try to pass it off as one of those things that happen and roll their eyes playfully, "what can you do kids will be kids eh?".

I usually just park at the back of carparks now furthest away from the shop where I''m less likely to have someone park in the next space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So what's the process here? I am lucky in that it hasn't happened to me since I upgraded my car but assuming it does...

Can you just contact the insurer of the offending car with all the evidence and they just pay out? It's that simple?

Just take the pics of their car, of your car, of the situation and of their insurance disk? What if you can't see the disk - how do you know who insures them? Can you put in a claim without their say-so?

You contact their insurer, make your case and show them your evidence. They will then contact their client and get their version of events. If the 3rd party denies being involved/liability they will inspect both vehicles.

If the inspection confirms your version they will move to settle your claim. If it is inconclusive or supports their client they will deny liability. If they do this, it's up to you as to how far you want to take it. As I often say here, the truth and being able to prove it are two different things

Thanks for that, and do you need to do the repairs and get the bill first , or can you make the claim and get the repairs done once you are awarded it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I park as far away from shopping centres as I can in the empty spaces. Used to drive my missus mad she thought I was nuts but now she drives and owns a car herself she is fully on board too..... Or at least she tells me she is. we've 2 nice (and big) cars that are 5 years old with no dents or scratches on either of them and I want to keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Thanks for that, and do you need to do the repairs and get the bill first , or can you make the claim and get the repairs done once you are awarded it?

I wouldn't get any work done until the damage is inspected. From what you have said, it will be one word against another, so the physical evedence will be crucial, though not conclusive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement