Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smiles Direct

• 01-11-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used these guys to improve their teeth?
    https://smiledirect.ie/en-ie

They appeared on my Facebook feed as a paid promotion.

Online reviews are mixed.

Comments

It’s like all things on the internet, you take your chances. In theory it looks like a cost effective way of straightening teeth, but it does not account for the health and condition of them. Orthodontists often advise against tooth movements based on patient analysis, or modify their treatment plan to prevent harmful effects. When you send your impressions this way, all they see is a plaster model of your teeth, if it goes pear shaped, you have no comeback, you took your chances.

Check the website, see if there is a answer to the question “what happens if it harms my teeth?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

Reminds me of Little Britain sketch; "computer says no".
    Possibly risky for participating practitioners as regards indemnity cover.
    Time will tell as regards success/failure rates of treatment provided remotely versus the conventional face to face treatment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This is a really really bad idea, like amazingly bad. It will however self select for patients that dont make this obvious conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bureau2009

This is a really really bad idea, like amazingly bad. It will however self select for patients that dont make this obvious conclusion.
    I am not a dentist. However, having looked up this offering I concur with Fitzgeme that this is an amazingly awful, awful idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Is it LEGAL to provide dental treatment in this manner?

• Advertisement

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Is it LEGAL to provide dental treatment in this manner?

It is difficult to know, you would probably have to contact the Dental Council to clarify that. Technically, if the treatment prescription comes from a qualified, registered dentist, then it is legal. Ethically, it would be very suspect as that prescription would come from a dentist who has never met you nor examined your teeth.

One of the issues with both online medical and dental treatment/advice providers is that the Clinician may not be based nor registered in the jurisdiction where the patient resides, therefore, if the treatment/advice is negligent, seeking redress becomes a huge problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭worded

Appears to have done a good job on the left eye brow, but the right eye brow appears misaligned ?

Do you you get a pair of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

I work in an Orthodontic practice, but just in admin. This remote treatment option is being introduced to practices at the moment. Its called 'dental monitoring'. The patient would be given a device that they would use to photograph their teeth and the image would be sent to the Orthodontist. The bonus is that it would save time for each party in freeing up time slots/traveling/taking time off work. This will only happen after the patient has been properly assessed etc. At this stage I don't know how much hands-on and personal interaction the Orthodontist would have with the patient if they are using this system but I suspect the virtual appointments will only be used for the routine check up appointments.

As a patient I would like to know how much individual care and attention I would be getting with this system in Smiles. The price quoted is very competitive but the end result is the most important factor and if you are getting the 'Ryanair' price and not arriving at the correct destination, it will not be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dentistry/comments/dmp43b/debunking_the_claims_of_sdc/

I didn’t make it through the whole Reddit post yet but it discusses many valid concerns.

I find interesting as to duty of care. Are you the patient of the supervising orthodo/dentist? What would happen if you called them or visited their practice with a concern about the treatment? Would they have a duty of care to see you?, having prescribed and monitoring a course of treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Also to add that the ADA has filed a suit against SDC..
    https://www.ada.org/%7E/media/ADA/Advocacy/Files/190627_ftc_smiledirect_nosig

How the above information isn’t enough to deter potential “patients” is beyond me..

• Advertisement
Advertisement