Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VOIP on Eir F2000 - multiple phones around the house.

• 01-11-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

I was supposed to get POTS installed today but was too far from the exchange and I am not getting FTTH with phone via VOIP. How do I extend this to other phones around the house? I have CAT6 going from a central point where the router is to every phone point in the house (4). Can I just wire them all in parallel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The sockets are generally wired in series as in page 3 of the attached pdf. I don't know if it will work in parallel but I guess it should. You would just use one pair in the Cat6 for the phone.

I presume the Cat6 for the phone is separate from cable for Ethernet if you intend using Ethernet that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The sockets are generally wired in series as in page 3 of the attached pdf. I don't know if it will work in parallel but I guess it should. You would just use one pair in the Cat6 for the phone.

I presume the Cat6 for the phone is separate from cable for Ethernet if you intend using Ethernet that is?

I don't need the CAT 6 for anything, just the phone. I know this is the case for normal POTS but does the same apply to FTTH VOIP?

On eir's website here it says that existing wired extension phones are not supported. Is this just because you can't use the existing extension coming from the CCU as that is now not in use or can you simple just not use more than one phone with FTTH VOIP?

Don't mind that about extensions. They only say that because the KN guys will not touch internal cabling. If you have the phone points wired correctly then connecting an RJ-11 from the router to any of the phone points should enable the rest of the points.

VoIP is only a method of delivering the phone to your house. After that it's pretty much the same as a traditional analogue line bar the electrical power requirement.

Don't mind that about extensions. They only say that because the KN guys will not touch internal cabling. If you have the phone points wired correctly then connecting an RJ-11 from the router to any of the phone points should enable the rest of the points.

VoIP is only a method of delivering the phone to your house. After that it's pretty much the same as a traditional analogue line bar the electrical power requirement.

Is what I have done in the diagram ok then? Sorry, I've plenty of experience with CAT6, Ethernet etc. but none with POTS, VOIP etc.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is what I have done in the diagram ok then? Sorry, I've plenty of experience with CAT6, Ethernet etc. but none with POTS, VOIP etc.

I believe so. I would have always wired sockets in the way depicted in the pdf but I don't see why your way would not work.

• Advertisement

I believe so. I would have always wired sockets in the way depicted in the pdf but I don't see why your way would not work.

Ok, thanks for your help.

Another thing to be aware of is, say, if you had four old style analogue phones connected to each socket you may find they will not ring. This is due to a thing called REN. Basically the phone output of the router can only support a specific load. I'm not sure of what the actual REN of the router is but it is something to be aware of if you have multiple phones not ringing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

Another thing to be aware of is, say, if you had four old style analogue phones connected to each socket you may find they will not ring. This is due to a thing called REN. Basically the phone output of the router can only support a specific load. I'm not sure of what the actual REN of the router is but it is something to be aware of if you have multiple phones not ringing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

I will probably end up with no more than 3 phones. Could I put 2 on one of the VOIP ports on the modem and the 3rd phone on the 2nd voip port?

daraghwal wrote: »
    I will probably end up with no more than 3 phones. Could I put 2 on one of the VOIP ports on the modem and the 3rd phone on the 2nd voip port?

Edit: The REN of the F2000 is 4 so I should be ok I think. I doubt any phones bought now are over 1 REN and I will probably only use 3. Thanks for the heads up though.

I don't think they are shipping the F2000 anymore it's a new device but as you say with modern phones, especially one that are powered by mains, you should be fine. I'd leave them all on the one port unless you are having issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Plug cable from tel port into any ethernet or even the telephone socket it will push dialtone on the two center pins be it rj11 or rj45 comes over blue bluewhite pair tie anything to that pair and you send dialtone down to it if the previous phone also is on that you'll hear two dialtoned one coming from the exchange and one coming from the modem simply cut the copper phone line where it comes to the building and your sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement