Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next door nieghbours never walk dogs

• 01-11-2019 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

I presume nothing can be done if the neighbours never take their dogs out of the back garden? Guess once they have food and water that's all that's required by law? Feel so sorry for them, plus they are frustrated as they bark incessantly at any noise and can be annoying when we are sitting out in the summer.

Crazy thing is that the neighbours go for walks themselves but never take the dogs! I saw one of them take the dog for a two minute walk one day and came straight back!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

There could be any number of reasons. Owner may have health issues, where walking their dog causes physical pain, dog could be reactive and this is embarrassing/frustrating for the owner, dog could be very strong on lead, dog could have a physical health condition that makes walking problematic, owner could possibly not like their dog/inherited them unwillingly. Yeah, it's not an ideal situation for the dogs, but there could be reasons for it, albeit likely selfish ones.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Food, water and shelter is all that's legally required. If you feel that they bark more because they're not being exercised, all you can do is follow procedure and notify the neighbours of your intention to take them to court in relation to the barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I presume nothing can be done if the neighbours never take their dogs out of the back garden? Guess once they have food and water that's all that's required by law? Feel so sorry for them, plus they are frustrated as they bark incessantly at any noise and can be annoying when we are sitting out in the summer.

Crazy thing is that the neighbours go for walks themselves but never take the dogs! I saw one of them take the dog for a two minute walk one day and came straight back!

I'll never understand why people like that bother having dogs in the first place - unfortunately theres no law to ban idiots keeping pets:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would be lovely if you could offer to walk the dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Graces7 wrote: »
    Would be lovely if you could offer to walk the dogs?

Was thinking of that but would be too awkward for me to ask. In any case they are more or less blanking us, not 100% sure why but I think it could be because my other half got so annoyed at the barking that she went into a rant out in the garden about it a couple of times :D. Funnily enough I'm so used to it I don't hear it.

Also there are 3 adult children and a teenager in the house so they have plenty of manpower to take the dog out.

• Advertisement

Was thinking of that but would be too awkward for me to ask. In any case they are more or less blanking us, not 100% sure why but I think it could be because my other half got so annoyed at the barking that she went into a rant out in the garden about it a couple of times :D. Funnily enough I'm so used to it I don't hear it.

Also there are 3 adult children and a teenager in the house so they have plenty of manpower to take the dog out.

Oh dear..yes they get more and more polarised.. . It is appallingly annoying. I was advised to buy a dog whistle; ie a silent whistle, by someone very skilled in these matters! Audible only to dogs. There was a problem here with a neighbours collie but that has settled. Apparently if you blow it the dog is distracted? I got it very simply online.

Only other way is a formal letter, if the barking is at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

You do realise that these whistles punish the dogs and not their inconsiderate owners who don't take their dogs for a walk, hate people like that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done, have a neighbour like that as well, it's so infuriating but a lot of people in this country just are awful owners with no clue how to treat a pet, and our laws are toothless in regards to animals.

votecounts wrote: »
    You do realise that these whistles punish the dogs and not their inconsiderate owners who don't take their dogs for a walk, hate people like that:(

:confused:

votecounts wrote: »

Adding to my reaction! A whistle will not harm or hurt the dog; simply get his attention and distract him from barking. It does work.

It is FOR the dog, and AGAINST the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d report them. And quote whatever the local SPCA’s is website back to them where they’ll more than likely have the 5 freedoms listed ie number 5 - ‘ Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering’. I haven’t been able to walk Bailey in the afternoon/evening because of fireworks - we did different things with him instead.
    So whatever their reasons for not walking simply dumping them outside isn’t an alternative imo.

Advertisement